Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelin_gw

New bed for seedlings, where's winter?

laurelin
17 years ago

Happy new year to my garden! My friend Becky gave me another trunk load of lovely partially composted leaves and barn straw for my new seedling bed. I'm going the lasagna bed route, and I can hardly wait to plant into it in the spring. It's not a huge bed (approx. 8 feet per side, a square), but it should be sufficient for this year's seedlings. Next year, I'm not sure which piece of turf will be sacrificed.

Has anyone else taken advantage of the unseasonably warm weather in the East to start new projects off-season? Do you have new beds prepared already, or are you waiting for spring? I just can't believe I spent yesterday hauling compost and edging a new bed with flat river rocks, in the sunshine, wearing a fleece pullover and sneakers instead of a winter coat, gloves, and boots - on January 2 in Upstate NY!

Everything is still GREEN, for goodness' sake.

I've got daffodils and reticulated irises peeking up through the mulch, and green buds on my clematis, and pansies in bloom, and my self-sown nigella seedlings look like a fuzzy bright green shag rug. Amazing. This will feel like a short winter, even if the weather gets more winter-like over the next month. Some years winter starts here in October, but the past two years have been quite mild. My kids aren't happy about it, though - they want SNOW so they can go sledding. I had to point out that going to the playground on a sunny warm New Year's Eve, in a jacket and sneakers, was a rare treat.

Laurel

Comments (5)

• highjack
    17 years ago

Nope, not here. It is nice for this time of year but not nice enough for me to be outside in the wet gardens. PLUS I am not adding any more beds - I have more than my share - NO NEW BEDS FOR ME. I hope my hubby understands this.

It is indeed a strange winter. We had October weather in September, November weather in October and December weather in November and part of December. Now we are having March weather but I have a feeling winter will arrive again and will probably hang on way too long in the spring. I'll take all the mild weather I can get this time of year and when I start complaining in March because it is still winter, remind me it was nice in midwinter.

Brooke

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Haven't had time to get much done in the garden lately, with the holidays, etc, but the weather here has been very nice also. I've got phlox (old fashioned thrift) blooming, and my baskets of verbena are still blooming too. I've noticed paperwhites and some early iris bloomig in various gardens around here lately. We had a couple of days of cold in early Dec. but mostly, it's been above average. Heck, my grass is still growing! I was thinking just today, that I need to get out the lawn tractor, for goodness sake!!! LOL
    Jan

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Currently we are wet, wet, wet. I started to haul a load of mulch last weekend but was afraid the ground was so wet that I'd get stuck backing up to the far end of the daylily field. I should probably be out there spraying winter weeds. It would appear that they are actively growing so if it stops raining that could be a Sunday project. Might as well get a head start on spring, right?

Our electrician is about ready for his first inspection. Who would have thought he'd be comfortably working in a nonheated house in Kentucky in January in a very light jacket? Or I would be out taking walks at work in just my shirtsleeves? I do hope we get a little more cold if for nothing more to get rid of some of the bugs that will plague us next summer otherwise.

Janet

• highjack
    17 years ago

For a change, my winter weeds aren't too bad but I'm sure the spring weeds will be just fine. I spread dirt in some low places in the yard yesterday which was tough because it was so wet but I'm sure the winter freeze/thaw will help break up the clods so I can winter sow some grass seed. A nice 1" snow about mid February would be perfect.

Our plumber showed up yesterday although it was 1:30 but he got the trench dug for the electricity and got started on the water trench. Blew a hydraulic somethingorother about 4 and had to quit. Today, heavy rains and no plumber but that's OK - we have his backhoe, trailer or is it trailor, sitting in the driveway and we have paid him zero dollars so I know he'll return.

Brooke

• laurelin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL, Brooke, nothing like having a hostage to bring the workman back. . . .

It's quite soggy up here today. We just got back from a jaunt to Lancaster County, PA. We marveled all the way down and back at how warm and green it was, and saw not a single speck of snow (unless you count a patch of icicles on the rock wall in a highway cutting that never gets direct sun). To weird, El Nino in action. It was quite a treat to take a January vacation in NICE weather, and let the kids play on the playground in their jackets, and go for a walk. There's a lot to be said for an "off season" vacation when the weather cooperates!

Laurel

P.S. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the hosta seeds! I'll review your planting instructions tomorrow. I have to accumulate more milk jugs to winter sow - my husband, bless his heart, cleaned out under the kitchen sink and tossed my extra milk jugs. . . .

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler