Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflychaser

WOW, Where is everyone?

butterflychaser
18 years ago

What happened to this forum? A complete lack of interest? Hemheads, we're gonna lose this forum if we don't perk it up.

What daylilies impressed you guys last summer? Which ones are you planning to acquire this year? Who's your favorite hybridizer? How many daylilies are you growing anyway? How many more can you take on?

Hello out there! Calling all Hemheads!

Comments (16)

• numama
    18 years ago

Okay, here I am ... Seems all the discusson is on the forum. I never knew about this section! Isn't it just like the forum? I'm too tired to answer all your questions this evening as it was my birthday today. The kids and I went to dinner, got home late, kids to shower, bed, caught up on the forum, discovered this section thanks to you!
    Since I don't have time to answer all of your above questions just let me tell you about this weird weather were having in NW Arkansas!
    High was 76 degrees around noon. About 2 p.m. thunderstorms and a tornado watch went into effect. Now it is 25 degrees outside with a wind chill in the teens! Brrrr .... Now I want to wrap up and go to bed cuz I'm tired.
    Thanks for pointing this out .... I'll have to start checking out what is going on here and come back to answer some of your curiosities!
    Nancy aka numama

• daylilylady
    18 years ago

Hello butterflychaser...Just clicking through the DL forum before heading off to bed and read your plea for postings on the Conversation forum.

I've been very busy, as I know quite a few of us have, on the the Lily Auction. Last night, after I won 'Strawberry Candy' that if I continue to win all I bid on, I'd better get out the tractor immediately after the ground thaws to make way for all the beauties.

I think I've gone after all my hearts desires, so now I want to concentrate on my favorite hybridizers such as Munsons and the Spacecoasts. The prices have to be within my pocketbook range though, which is very low.

Off to bed with me....
    Marilyn

• highjack
    18 years ago

OK, this is non daylily and I need sympathy. I had a cancer removed from the knuckle on my right hand - this is not the bad cancer, just the irritating ones that need to be removed. I am soooooo right handed and find doing anything with my left a joke.

The lesion covered the entire knuckle and the incision started below the knuckle on the finger and runs almost to the wrist. On the upside, being old with lots of loose skin, there was ample skin to pull over the incision - LOL! I had the stitches removed this a.m. and will soon be back to normal.

Since all of us are serious gardeners, please remember the sunscreen. This is not the first surgery I have had for this type of cancer - years ago I had one removed from my face which required a skin graft. If you have abnormal areas, please go to the doctor and have them taken care of while they are still SMALL, don't wait for them to grow and become major incisions and stitches to correct the problem.

Can mizellie get us a big group discount from WM on bulk sunscreen?

Brooke

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Brooke,

I sure hope you hand heals quickly!!

I'm a bad one at not using sunscreen. I can't stand to put on anything that makes me sweat even more than I already do in the summer even though I love the heat (including sleeves or pants).
    The doctor has warned me - my mom had a malignant melinogma (sp??) removed, so I'm supposed to be careful. But I love the sun, I've taken my chances, and I'm sure I'll pay the price.....someday.......
    I did have a mole removed a few years ago on my back 'cuz it looked funny (very dark and not round at all). The doctor said it wasn't malignant, but it was the kind that can turn malignant.

But get that hand healed up - the garden will be calling you soon :)

• riverratspaz
    18 years ago

WOW Brooke sounds like a @$%, i hope you can get back to ASAP, i think they tell you to keep moving it around so the scar tissue doesnt harden. Had alot of falls in my short time on this earth, epilepsy is a @#$%&, hard to keep you legs under you sometimes, the accidents....i wont even mention.

Well im here to discuss what? What are we going to talk about first?
    What do we all do for a living would be a good one? Ill post that one a little later

Gerard

• maximus7116
    18 years ago

Brooke, hope your hand heals fast so you can get back to gardening right away. I'll take your advice to heart -- I've never used sunscreen because I tan so easily. Now that I'm getting older, however, it's catching up with me. So sunscreen this year.

Gerard, go ahead and post away. It would be interesting to hear some info on all these daylily friends. Like age? where from originally? other addictions? etc.

• butterflychaser
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Brooke, I hope your hand heals quickly. I've actually taught myself to do many things left handed. I actually used to bowl left handed better than I could right handed (which still wasn't very good. You'd never pick me to be on your league! LOL).

Bout the only thing I can't do left handed is write. But I have a keyboard, so who cares.

Thank you all for joining over here. I'll hang out more on the Discussions forum and maybe I'll learn a thing or two about daylilies, ya think?

• numama
    18 years ago

Okay, I'm back to answer your questions as I was just too tired last night after my birthday ... wore me out ... GOSH I'm the big 44 now!
    Last summer I was most impressed with SHORES OF TIME sooo PINK, DESTINED TO SEE has an eyezone I love, and BARACUDA BAY bloomed profusely for me. I have acquired probably about 80 new daylilies so far this season to add to the appx. 275 I already grow on my 2.5 acres! I'm sure I would have enough room for probably 600+ more! This is my fourth year collecting.
    Brooke,
    I'm feeling for you hon! My sister had one of those removed from her neck/chest area. Was about the size of a dime and it just killed her for 2-3 days after having it removed! She had 7 stitches. I can't even imagine the pain you must have in that knuckle! HUG HUG to you! I'll bet come spring you should be good a new! My doc keeps telling me SUNSCREEN but it is so GREASY, guess I better tho or I'll be like Brooke and my sister as I am fair skinned.
    Nancy

• rsts
    18 years ago

Brooke, hope the hand heals fast. I agree with you about being vigilant and catching them while small. It is especially important for those in the South, because the sun is so much more intense.

I had an experience which I now think is rather funny. I had some little things grow on my ears, sorta like small warts. I knew I should get a doctor to look at them. As I have said before, if I was a daylily I woulda been composted long ago. I felt that having parts of both ears whacked off would only make that more true. So, I dithered for a while wondering what to do. Since they were growing larger, they obviously were only getting worse and I thought the longer I waited, the more ear they would have to whack off. I finally went to a doctor. Imagine my surprise when all the doctor did was spray them with liquid nitrogen to freeze them.

I must admit that I don't wear sunscreen like I should. I hate the stuff. I do wear long sleeves and a wide brimmed hat. Also, watch carefully and go to the Dermatologist when I see any suspicious spot.

Again, take care and get back to gardening soon.

• gatransplant
    18 years ago

Oh Brooke, I was wondering why we hadn't been hearing from you. I guess typing is still something of a pain, literally. Hope you finish healing fast. I know you've got your daylily orders scheduled for early shipping. You may want to wear gloves while potting them--I do. Rust is bad, but I don't want to contact the chemicals they dip the plants in. Nitrile gloves are more durable than latex.

I'm another one in need of your warning. I used to wear sunscreen, but it really adds to the immediate misery when I'm working in the heat, and the bugs. No ladylike perspiration for me--I sweat buckets and the sunscreen runs in my eyes. Tell mizellie we need the super waterproof, combination sunscreen/insect repellant version when she orders for us, LOL.

Lelia

• gonegardening
    18 years ago

Wondered where you were, Brooke. You were missed! Hope your hand is healing better and each day it hurts a little less.

Thanks for the reminder on sunscreen! My husband fusses at me all the time to wear a hat, but I forget...or it gets in my way...a million excuses.

We'll all do better starting this spring!

• highjack
    18 years ago

Thanks for the well wishes, the hand is doing great. It was just verrrry annoying since I am so right handed. With the stitches out, I can actually touch my fingers to my palms now and the bandage can come off as soon as the stitch holes are healed.

I had the place on my upper lip "frozen" off yesterday too. Boy, is that a misnomer. The freeze sensation lasts for a nano second and then the burn. Thankfully, that only lasts for a while too. The blister on the lip this a.m. is gorgeous but that too, will only last a few days.

I do wear sunscreen on my face, a golf visor "sometimes" when outside but will do the suncreen thing on my arms now. I can't stand to wear a hat, even to please my husband - hats make me so hot and I look really stupid. They haven't made a hat that I look good in and goodness, I don't want to scare the wildlife around here, except maybe the snakes.

Brooke

• daylilylady
    18 years ago

Brooke, so glad your feeling better. I know first hand about skin cancer. Two years ago, I made an appointment with the Dermatologist just to get a skin peel for some age spots on my face. My mother had several and I wasn't suprised to see that I was now getting them. The doctor wasn't interested in my face...what she saw, was what I thought were a couple of freckles on my chest. When she looked with her magnifying glass, I knew I was in trouble. She took a very large biopsy and said she would call back when the results were in. She called a couple of days later, just as I was picking my kids up from middle school. She said there was good news and bad news...the bad news was that it was a malignant melanoma...the good news was that it was, what they call in-situ (all in one place). A couple of days later, she went back in and cut everything out until she hit normal perimeters. What a scare! Now, I religiously go for Dermatology checks every six months, wear sunscreen, hats, long sleeves and long pants. It's especially hard wearing all the sungear when it's ninety degrees with one hundred percent humidity during hay season.

I'm lucky to have had her catch the melanoma early. I still get butterflies when I think about it.

~Marilyn

• highjack
    18 years ago

You were very lucky Marilyn to have rid yourself of the freckles that could have led to major problems down the road. It is very important to get these pesky things taken care of when they are small and to not let them grow.

And Royce, glad you still have your ears!

Brooke

• rsts
    18 years ago

Brooke, they ain't made a hat I look good in either. Closest thing is a ski mask, but they're too hot to wear in the sun.

• highjack
    18 years ago

Royce ALL men look good in baseball hats and lots of women too. I'm just not one of them. Nope, don't do ski masks either - here in KY they would think I had just robbed the convenience store and haul me in to jail.

Brooke

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES