Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxbaerhems

New Puppy

MaxBaerHems
17 years ago

I can't make up my mind....

Since I lost Max.. back on the 18th of September and having had Baer pass.. 1 Jan 05....Well I think I have gone thru the mourning phase of Life....They, will NEVER be forgotten or replaced....but.. It is time to provide a Loving, Fun and Caring home to a new Pup......I have always had German Shepherds.. all of my life...and thats been a fairly long time.... I think it's time to go a different way.....I have decided on a Bernese Mountain Dog....IE.. Swiss Mountain Dog...IE.. Berner....These are 2 of the Pup's I am looking at...the pic's are not real good or clear....but hopefully you will get the idea...:)

Berner 1

{{gwi:630216}}

Berner 2

{{gwi:630218}}

Comments (21)

• laurelin
    17 years ago

They're both beautiful puppies, Rick. Personality would be the key for me, but I don't know if you're buying local or from a breeder farther away, and how much time you can spend with the puppies before purchase. If I had to choose just from the pictures, I'd go with the first one (Berner 1). I like his facial expression - it looks like he's smiling, a little mischievous and quirky, but ready to give and get lots of love.

I think you'll really enjoy celebrating Max and Baer's lives through a new puppy. Lots of memories, old and new. When you choose, please post more pictures.

Many blessings,
    Laurel

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Oh, how sweet!! I saw a special on these dogs a while back. I think you're making a good choice.
    I agree with Laurel, if you can spend some time with them, choose the one that is most outgoing and friendly, otherwise, I too, like the first ones facial expression. He/she seems ready to bound off to play any minute, and the 2nd one looks a bit intimidated. It's hard to tell personalities from a picture however, so you'll inevitably, have to make the final decision. Good luck with your new baby, and do show us more pics when you get it home and it begins to grow. These dogs get really big, from what I've heard. Better be sure to teach it to stay out of the daylilies!!! :)
    Good Luck,
    Jan

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Those are both adorable puppies. I think I prefer the one with the darker nose. That being said, I'm a German Shepherd owner for as long as I'm living. It sounds like you had a couple good ones in Max and Baer.

FYI, I recently met a man who used to rescue Bernese Mountain Dogs. He said he finally gave it up because it was too hard constantly losing them when they have a life expectancy of 6-7 years. I thought that was unusual for a medium-sized dog, but I figured he would know. He has since opted for a pair of Labrador Retriever puppies.

Good luck whichever choice you make!

Chris

• highjack
    17 years ago

I don't think Bernese are medium sized dogs - they are bigger than Labs.

Rick I would check on the hereditary problems associated with the breed and see if I could live with the possibility of dealing with the problems. I would make sure the breeders of above puppies do all testing required for the breed in their breeding stock.

I too like the puppy with the best pigment. How are old these puppies, they appear to be verrrrry young.

Brooke

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Guy's...I appreciate your advice and comments!
    Yes, they are considered a Large Breed Working Dog, they are a few inches taller at the shoulder then Lab's. Every where I have read, they seem to have be labelled a short lived dog...7 years being the average is most books and web sites I have been too. It is strange though, that I have found MANY breeder's and folk's that own them and have some at their kennel's or homes, being 11 and 12 years old. I have actually seen some of these. The age/death thing really has a grip on me right now....I will continue to look into this. The biggest problems seem to come with the Hip's, Eye's and sometimes elbow problems. The pedigree's of the ones I have been looking at so far and the paper's show good Hip test results (Certification), elbows showing clear and eyes tested clear on the Sire and Dam. Of course you can never know, for sure. The thing about the noses, amazes me...they actually turn black with age, almost all are born totally pink. It is a Fault though if they are not totally black (Nose) when mature. Personality will make the final decision, after all Faults if any are found. There are a number of things to look for with this breed. I have found another litter of Pup's today, not far away. I will be going this weekend to see them too. The Pup's above (Pic's) were at about 5 weeks. They are now 8 1/2 weeks old..as of today. The ones I am going to see this weekend are 6 weeks old now. I am only looking for a male so that helps a little. After having German Shepherds all my life and having spent 9 years in Germany, it is hard not to stay with them...but we feel it best not to go down that road again. It was a great road and filled with nothing but the best of memories...and that is what life is all about...making Memories. Now it's time for a new chapter in life.....I will have to deal with the short lifespan thing, though. Hopefully I will get enough research done to decide for sure, by this weekend. Thank you guy's again for your input, much appreciated..:) I'll holler when we get it all figured out..Thanks,
    Rick

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Rick, they are soooooo cute. My vote goes for #2. He looks intense!
    Kathy

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Sorry for the misinformation about size -- the Bernese I knew must have been a midget! He was much smaller than a Lab.

Keep us posted, Rick!

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Chris......your info wasn't really wrong...there is a wide difference in height standards for this breed..I don't understand why so much variation though Males- 23 - 27 1/2 inches. Females -21-26 inches By AKC standards...That would allow for seeing many smaller appearing females for sure. I have yet to see a Weight "Standard" for them...there is none listed by AKC...Many of the dams I have researched are in the 55-95 lb range Yet many of the Males have been in the 75-100 range with a number being well over 100 lbs....as this Champion I will post...he is normally around 110 lbs in Summer and 120 lbs in Winter...It appears that as long as the basic shape and balance appear, weight can vary widely..as can the height...Hmmmmm I never had this problem with my German Shepherds...LOL
    Here is a nice Champion Male...they are handsome hard working dogs....

{{gwi:630220}}

{{gwi:630222}}

• highjack
    17 years ago

The elbow thing would probably be elbow dysplasia. If they test for eye problems, I hope you understand this will need to be a part of your yearly vet routine too since eye problems can always appear at a later date.

I would also check to see if this breed is prone to bloat. When people say they only live to be 7, this raises a flag with me because that is about the age bloat would hit. If your breeders have dogs living to be 11 or 12, it sounds like either they don't have it in their line or know how to deal with it to save the dog.

Very handsome dogs Rick but the burning question, since these are rescue dogs from the Alps, are you going to train him to bring you the little barrel of adult beverage while you garden?

Brooke

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Brooke,
    Yes the beverage at my age is very important!.......LOL
    Even more important is that they come from a background of working dogs that from back in the Roman times......they were cart hauler's and used to carrying balanced loads on their backs....Can't you just picture mine pulling the cart filled with fresh mulch???? hehe..I know...a back bag system ....carrying new Fans of my favorite Daylilies....just waiting to be planted...Gosh I am a Terrible person!...LOL Actually just want a Foot warmer for these cold Winter nights.....when I am too lazy to get up and fire up the wood stove...or fireplace...:)
    I haven't found anything on the bloat issue...yet. Almost everything I have been reading...just states the age thing....but shys away from discussing why??????Hmmmm Much more research, to be done!

Rick

• highjack
    17 years ago

Since you are considering puppies from two different breeders, ask them the question. Bloat in not uncommon in many large breeds so the question would not be considered unusual.

I know they pull carts but still think THE most important aspect is the keg-wearing adult beverage toting pet. Or even better, a big keg in the cart while they are hauling mulch.

Brooke

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Number 1 looks happy I think it is the brown above his eyes that round out instead of pointing straight up that makes him look like he is smiling. So cute.
    Jill

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

So Rick,
    What's the decision, or have you made one yet? Don't keep us in suspense!! We all want to know which one, if either, you've picked......how else can we keep up with what's happening!!!
    Jan

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well Jan......it's like this.....LOL
    After weeks of research and conflicting statements.....I am going to rule on the side of self need...I want a new Pup that will at least hang around with me for 10 years or more...and have above average odd's of doing so.........so as much as I really like Berner's....I had to come to a selfish decision......:O(
    I am going to stick with German Shepherds.....having them for so many years...and having such wonderful, loving, protective and well mannered dog's....I will go for another.....
    I'll holler when I have a litter or two to look at and see whats out there......
    Thanks for all your help guy's and your interest!

Rick

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Lola is very happy there will be a new GSD in your home

{{gwi:630224}}

Chris

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Lola,,,your a beauty! Chris is Lucky to have you for a Owner....LOL LOL..:)

Thanks Chris!

Rick

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Found any litters yet Rick?

Jan

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Found a Snow Pup....Jan...:)

{{gwi:630226}}

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

That's cute Rick.....whose is he?
    Jan

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

What a sweetie

• down2earth
    17 years ago

I also like #1 best. The markings are not as good as on #2 but there is something very happy and friendly about it. #2 seems too intense for me. I'd love to post my dog's pictures but if I post one I'd have to post all three and that is a bit much for you guys.