Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizellie_gw

A couple of pictures..

mizellie
17 years ago

This is a favorite. It's the Verburnum but isn't completely in bloom. I will get another shot when It blooms out.

{{gwi:630268}}

See how weird I am..this is a twisted trunk on a redbud.

Again, I apologize for the spaces. It will not let me post closer together. It's because I am using a different type of photo software. I lost the one I liked when my pc crashed and it will not let me load it again!!!

{{gwi:630271}}

This is one of the three redbuds I have blooming...Ellie

{{gwi:630275}}

Comments (17)

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Ellie, my redbuds are about finished, but the dogwoods are beautiful and my wisteria is in full bloom. The viburnum you have, is it fragrant? I have one whose blooms look just like that, a hint of pink in them, and it smells scrumptious. It's blooming now. With it and the wisteria, my garden smells heavenly!!
    I'll go make some more photos to share. :)
    Jan

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jan, it's the most fragrant of all my Veburnums. I have several but some aren't Hybrid, I think. This one is but I can't think of it's name right off hand. You can smell it all over the yard..Yummy...Ellie

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Ellie, Love your redbuds! If I tried to twist a trunk like that, I'd kill it for sure.
    Kathy

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Ellie, here is a close up of my viburnum, I do believe it's the same as yours....don't remember it's name though. :) But it sure smells great!
    {{gwi:359982}}
    And here's a couple of native flowers blooming in my garden, a red columbine and I wish I knew the name of the other one. If anyone knows what it is, please let me know.
    {{gwi:359983}}
    {{gwi:359984}}
    Jan

• jkunkel
    17 years ago

The purple flower looks like some sort of violet, my mothers yard is just covered with them in the spring.

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jan, I think they call it a crows foot violet. I will look in some of my wildflower books.

The Veburnun looks to be the same. I looked at it yesterday and it was covered with butterflies.. It has a very strong spicy smell...Ummmm...Ellie

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Ellie, Phillip from Gardening in Alabama forum said our viburnum is a Mohawk Viburnum....as for the little blue flowers, some of them are different with a dark purple petal mixed with the blue. They aren't invasive like the regular wild violets are, and they love a shaded, wooded area.
    Jan

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jan, I have a mohawk but that one isn't it. I forget it's name but I will know it if I hear it. The Mohawk is strongly scented to but not like this one....Ellie

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Ellie! How about Korean Spice Viburnum? Mine is in bloom now and it is supposedly the most fragrant of the Viburnums. My Mohawk tends to have more pink than the Korean Spice.

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

gonegardening, I am going to hunt up the name of this one. It's scent is so stong sometimes that somee people actually get sick from it. I inhale as much of it as I can though. The buds are pink before they open but quickly turn white or near white. Ellie

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok people. I am so sad about the weather. I have hardy orchids with buds that I haven't seen bloom in 5 years. They are loaded with bud. My yellow Lady Slipper is in bloom as is the Giant White Trillium, not to mention Jacobs ladder, twisted trillim, nodding trillium, wild geranium and some other stuff that will be bitten.
    My Hostas popped right up after the rain and are much to big to cover. All of the trees that are blooming will have brown flowers soon. I covered the new dls that I set out though. Stay warm everyone...Ellie

• considerhowtheygrow
    17 years ago

I also have this intensely fragrant viburnum and would like to know the name. So, I did a little search and study. I think it is Carlcephalum. Check out this link and tell me what you think. This website has lots of info about different viburnums - helps you figure out what you have.

Sue in TN

PS - I didn't know until today that there was more at "conversations" - wow I have lots more to read now.

• juliet11
    17 years ago

Hi Jan,

I think your little purple flower might be a bird's foot violet (viola pedata). Here's a photo of mine:

{{gwi:630282}}

My next door neighbor has a viburnum that smells wonderful - I think it's a Koreanspice viburnum (viburnum carlesii). I have a Mohawk viburnum and a Judd viburnum and they aren't quite as good.

Juliet

• highjack
    17 years ago

Hi Sue in TN - welcome to the light side of the daylily world. We talk about everything over here. AND love pictures.

Brooke

• considerhowtheygrow
    17 years ago

Thanks for the welcome Brooke.

I sent another post right after the first one, but for some reason it didn't show up here. I inadvertently left out the website for the viburnums.

Try http://www.hort.cornell.edu/vlb/comname.html and click on viburnum carlcephalum.

Also try http://www.hort.cornell.edu/vlb/key/W1.htm for interesting comparisons. It is a great site for differentiating the viburnums.

Sue in east TN

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue in Tn, looks as though mine is the Verburnum Carlesii. I am going to bring in a leaf tomorrow and see but mine does have berries. My blooms are about the size of a tennis ball. BTW, this is a fun side where you can talk about most anything.

Gonegardening, you said a Korean Spice Virburnum but I had never heard that one before. The Carlesii is a Korean Spice. Wow, was I ever wrong when I said it wasn't a KPV. Anyway, I am going to study the leaves and I already have berries although they are green. I have a baby underneath about one & a half inches high.

Juliet, the foliage on Jan's violet looks different than yours. No doubt it's a violet but with 900 species, it really is hard to tell. The one I mostly have are the common violets which I hate. Mine are so agressive and are everywhere. The birdfoot ( which I had called crows foot ) is really pretty in clumps. The leaves aren't as over powering as the common violet.

Brooke, my JM's seem to be trying to recover from the cold. I think I will do a search on that JM I asked you about as soon as it leafs out good....Ellie

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's what I have for sure. The Korean Spice ( Virburnum x Carlesii ) Virburnum x Burkwoodii ( Mohawk ) and the Chinese Virburnum. Also I have a couple more of these. I have a Cranberry Bush Virburnum, and one called Pink Dawn. I couldn't find that one. it's supposed to be the deepest pink in color. I also have one that I think is Virburnum x Carlcephalum. It's fragrant too but not as much as the Carlesii. I had a Shasta but something killed it along with another very fragrant one....I just thought I would tell gonegardening that she was right and I was wrong ( for once). Well, maybe twice....Ellie OOPs!! I have an old fashioned snowball verburnum too. Most everyone in the south has one of those...