Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverratspaz

blooming today!

riverratspaz
18 years ago

This is whats in bloom in my garden today! Some old amarylis i found where else of course? In the pasture! Thats getting a little old... but its true?

I think they are jhonsonie? something like that, they smell of lemon! mmmmmmmmm good! (note both blooms are on the south side of the trees)

You can see the pecan trees in the pic too, well their feet any-way!

not my best pics either, i was in a hurry when i took them leaving for work!

G

What do you all have peaking through?

{{gwi:391108}}

{{gwi:391109}}

Comments (8)

• highjack
    18 years ago

Zero, zip, nada on the outside - even the one early clump of daffs blooming are history. It was 19 last night and the frost was so heavy it looked like snow. In the building, one daylily and several hosta seedlings.

Amaryllis have to kept as a houseplant around here in the winter. Love them, but the lights in the building are already crammed so I will admire yours! Thanks for posting.

Brooke

• numama
    18 years ago

Ooooh very pretty and smelling of lemon too? Wow they sure are pretty.
    On my way to work this morning I noticed some dogwoods blooming (none of mine tho) I've also noticed the redbuds are starting to bloom here. The bradford pear trees around are still blooming. Of course I have already posted some pics of the daffodils and hyacinths I have blooming but today I noticed bloom on some dianthus and creeping phlox. Brunnera is blooming, more daffodils have opened up, tullips are getting there...probably this weekend or next. Grape hyacinths are blooming everywhere along with forsythia. Allium foilage is up and going, hardy orchids, hardy freesia, lungwort is blooming and I noticed some of my hostas peeking through. Poppies and verbascum foilage is looking nice, healthy and green. It is really looking like spring here ... it just feels like winter!
    Nancy

• rsts
    18 years ago

Hey Gerard, I am beginning to think you have a magic pasture. Very nice pictures.

• katlynn719
    18 years ago

Hey Gerard,
    Those look like St. Joseph's Lilies (Hippeastrum x johnsonii)! I tried to buy one from EasytoGrowBulbs.com for $17.95 and they sent me an amaryllis picotee by mistake. They let me keep the picotee and refunded my money because they said they couldn't get any St. Joseph's until Sept. So take good care of them...these old heirloom bulbs are hard to find and expensive to buy!
    Kat

• riverratspaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kat, you wouldnt believe how many there were when i found them, the clump mustave been at least 50 or so years old (i'm guessing) just was walking around this time a year with the dogs about 10 yrs ago, and happened upon these firey red ones, some old fushia glads too. There were about 40 or so bulbs in the clump all nice sized about 6" or so around some smaller, planted them around all the trees in the front yard, have to seperate every couple years, cause they multiply like crazy, me and the neibors have them all over now. I had to give some to my sister, and hers are multiplying already and in bloom too after just one year. They are very hardy here.

The milk lilies (white crinums) are blooming now, on the way to work on the back road, i spotted a huge stand of them all in bloom on some wooded property, i think ill make a pass there this weekend, wouldnt want them to just die there? Ill take a pic on the way in tomorrow so yall can see the "magic" places im talking about just littered with goodies!

G

• katlynn719
    18 years ago

Gerard,
    You are soooo lucky! When it comes time to divide your St. Joseph's again, let me know. I'd be interested in buying or trading for some.
    Kat

• gatransplant
    18 years ago

Gerard,
    Put my name on the list right after Kat's to buy/trade. It's such a shame that the modern amaryllis don't have any fragrance!
    Lelia

• beth_b_kodiak
    18 years ago

That is amazing. I knew they grew "wild" somewhere but figured it was in Africa or Mexico. Someplace "tropical".
    Someday I'll need to get down south to visit Tropical LA. Sounds like it will be quite an adventure.
    They are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. BB