Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

Picture Comparisons

rsts
18 years ago

Don't know if this interests anyone, but I am showinng several pictures of a seedling blooming today. The seedling is from a seedling x SHORES OF TIME and is another I planted late last June and overwintered in the gh.

The pictures were shot in poor light (full sun) for good pictures, but my purpose is to show comparisons and the comparisons are valid regardless of light. The first picture is from the old Olympus and is fairly close to the real color. It has a slightly bluish tint, which I hate on pink daylilies. The Nikon color is shown at its usual "off" color, even with several adjustments. Most are too dark, which can be adjusted, but I know of no way to get the camera to shoot more accurate color.

Olympus - Sunny setting

{{gwi:630476}}

Nikon - Sunny setting Normal Light setting

{{gwi:630478}}

Nikon - Sunny +1 Light setting

{{gwi:630480}}

Nikon - Sunny, Normal Light setting, low contrast setting

{{gwi:630482}}

Nikon - Sunny, Normal light setting, low saturation setting

{{gwi:630484}}

Comments (5)

• highjack
    18 years ago

Those comparisons amaze me. I certainly don't have any suggestions but I can see why you are struggling getting the correct color on your pink blooms. Wonder what a comparison on purples would be. My purples tend to have too much reddish-pink color and with as much reddish color in your pinks, I bet it would be really off in the purples too.

Why are you unhappy with the Olympus?

Brooke and by the way, nice seedling!

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Why are you unhappy with the Olympus?color>

Brooke, when I said "it has a slightly bluish tint" above, I meant the picture, not the bloom. If one could mix the colors like paint, the correct color would probably be 80 to 90 percent of the Olympus and 10 to 20 percent of the second picture from the Nikon.

Just ordered the Canon. I will be torqued if I still cannot get an accurate color. I am going to really study and experiment with the Nikon. If the poor color quality continues, I will print a sheet of pictures similar to the above and return the camera to see if they can do anything. If the color was accurate, it is a very nice camera. Not much good if the color is junk.

Thanks for the comment on the seedling. SPACECOAST STARDUST is a grandparent and I think some of that is showing.

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Forgot. . . .

I too wonder how it will do with purples. Probably, as you say, not very well.

• highjack
    18 years ago

I'm really going to try to learn to use the camera this summer on something other than auto. And when hubby talks to me, I will try not to nod off - lol!

My Nikon on auto does a pretty good job with the light colored blooms if I can keep them out of the bright sun but in pure sun, everything is a beautiful white - I should breed one that white! I also learned something else this past summer, the color of your clothes will also reflect somewhat, on the blooms. Guess I have to throw away all my bright tee shirts and stick with white.

Hope your new camera does great - your bloom season is upon you so you won't have to wait months for blooms.

Brooke

• numama
    18 years ago

Royce, your picture comparison threads are pretty interesting! I would never find the time you have obviously spent on this project. Thanks for sharing!
    So what kind of Cannon did you order?

Nancy
    P.S. Love the seedling pics you are posting!