Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edward_kimball_gw

Lily Auction Addiction

Edward_Kimball
18 years ago

Hi all, I just don't know when to stop. I am the high bidder on another Tom Maddox seedling. I am hoping to be outbid because I have enough daylilies and I have spent enough money, but it was just soooo cute.

{{gwi:630516}}

Comments (27)

• highjack
    18 years ago

I looked at it and saw my good friend Edward was bidding so being a lady, I won't place a bid against you.

CUTE - cute is small, dainty - this is a BIG ole girl. Gosh, I love the width of those petals. Enjoy the addiction, there are certainly worse out there.

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Brooke, if you don't like cute, how about bright and cheerful?

Edward

• numama
    18 years ago

Edward, that is a really bright and cheery flower! Good luck to you!
    I'm hoping to end up with a different seedling from them, but am waiting until it's almost ended to see if it stays within the price range I want to pay. I LOVE your LGxAN seedling you had posted in another thread!
    Nancy

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just because there can never be too many daylily pictures:

{{gwi:630518}}

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

OMG, Edward, I love that last one you posted. Who is she?

My most fabulous yellow (I don't normally like the yellows) is one my neighbor talked me into buying from her. She's a daylily pusher of the worst kind! If I say No, she lowers the price, knowing I can't resist a bargain, even if it is yellow. She convinced me I had to have Yellow Explosion, no garden would be complete, so she said. I bought it that spring and it bloomed that summer, a huge bloom, and I am in love with it. Once again, the persistent daylily pusher was right! But no, I haven't yet told her she was, altho she may have guessed because I'm always down there buying something else. LOL

I don't have the Lily Auction addiction. I can't afford it. Instead, I buy on Ebay. There's more competition there and I can get daylilies cheaper. I've bought some as new as the year 2000 for $5 or less. I think the lily auction is better for newer varieties and seedlings that aren't so common. And one day, maybe instead of buying quantity, I'll alot my money to buy a few special daylilies--a special treat.

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The second one was the seedling Nancy mentioned: Lori Goldston X Abilene Nan.

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

Beautiful!!! Will you be registering it? It's certainly worthy of a name. Stunning! Drop Dead Gorgeous would be appropriate I think.

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If it does well up here I will be naming it Arlene Welsh after my mother-inlaw who got me hooked on daylilies.

Edward

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Edward & Nancy - I hope y'all get those seedlings :)
    I thought about bidding.............but.............
    it is quite the addiction............
    I really should stop............
    Oh my, where will I put them all...........hehehehe

Actually, I have slowed down quite a bit on the Lily Auction.
    After I placed all my orders with the hybridizers (yeowwww - mega $$$$), I figured I should be about done for the year.
    Now if I would just QUIT LOOKING at the Lily Auction..............
    :)

Tammy (very hopelessly addicted - yes, I am a hemaholic)

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Tammy, I got outbid. i guess I will have to settle for one seedling

Edward

• rsts
    18 years ago

Nice pictures Edward. Did you get outbid on the yellow one? I like the color of that one. I was just thinking today that I need a bright yellow (lemony?). Many of my best ones have SPACECOAST STARBURST in the parentage. I like SS, but it tends to impart a little orange color. I have an older one - WALKING ON SUNSHINE and if the color is what I remember, I might use it next year, with one of the better ruffled seedlings to see if I can get bright yellow.

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, it was the yellow one I got outbid on. The purple with an edge was a private sale. I wrote complimenting it and asking if it would be introduced and Tom offered to sell it to me. I jumped at the chance.

Edward

• highjack
    18 years ago

Sorry you got outbid Edward but it wasn't me sniping. Hopefully that big ole girl will get a good home.

Royce do you have SHERRY LANE CARR? She produces all colors from cream to yellow to lavender. She is one that gives you a lot of potential keepers to watch.

Brooke

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Pretty seedlings. I'm not going to look at seedlings on the LA!

I am very addicted to the LA. I just removed all the items on my wanted list--at least now I won't be getting emails that one of my wanted items has been listed! Maybe we need a support group?

I have so many DLs coming this spring I don't know where I'm going to put them all--I'm beginning to feel anxious. And I won some seeds too--I need a place for any that make it as well. Woe is me.

But they'll be so beautiful when they bloom--can't wait!
    Marcia

• rsts
    18 years ago

Brooke, I had SLC, but no longer have it. However, it is one of about 4 or 5 parents most prevalent in seedlings I have saved. I still think I might like something more "bright and cheerful" than I have. This is down the list a ways on my want list, but something I am thinking about.

Gee Marcia, perhaps you should send some of those plants my way for safe keeping. I do not have a single daylily on order. Po ole me!!!

On a serious note, I really haven't ordered anything. I am waiting to see what I get from seedlings that will bloom outside this year. Then, I will decide what I want and order them in summer or early fall.

• numama
    18 years ago

Edward, I LOVE that seedling! I'm going to go through his seedling pics with a fine tooth comb and see if I can get him to sell me any! I've looked at some already, but my dial-up connection makes viewing pics soooo slooowww!
    I did win the Awesome Blossom x Abilene Nan Seedling i wanted...I think it is GORGEOUS. Here's a pic from a hopelessly addicted buyer of DLs!
    Nancy
    {{gwi:630521}}

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Nancy,

Have you looked at JT-317? It is to die for - at least IMO. I did a google search trying to find out the parentage (it is a parent to one of the seedlings I got from him), and all I could find is where he auctioned it in December at a starting price of $199.99.
    But I love it so much I might just be willing to pay that if it were up for auction again (crazy me :)

Here's a pic

JT-317 (photo property of Joyce Maddox)
    {{gwi:630524}}

Tammy

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My second favorite of Tom's seedlings is JT-02-420. My favorite is the one I am getting. here is a picture of 420.

{{gwi:630527}}

• numama
    18 years ago

Yes, I saw that one on his website Tammy. OMG Gorgeous! $199...NO WAY!
    I like the one you've posted as well Edward!
    I'm bidding on another seedling from him now...hope I get it!
    Nancy

• riverratspaz
    18 years ago

I also succomed to toms creations, didn't spend to much i thought? I bout a bright clear pink\fushia blend SPUF form. Really nice tried to go back and find a pic, but i think they pulled the auction pic already?

He sent the seedling, a clump of PINK SUPER SPIDER, and RUBY SPIDER along with all for about 45 bucks. Good deal if you ask me even if he was trying to get rid of some overstock.

They all arrived a couple weeks ago and are doing really well in their new home
    Night G

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Gerard,
    The pic is still there (if this is the one you're talking about)
    {{gwi:630530}}

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Nancy, I was about to bid on another of his seedlings but you are the high bidder. I hope you get it.

Edward

• numama
    18 years ago

Thanks for sending me hope Edward...Got my fingers and toes crossed!
    I saw the one you are bidding on as well...I was tracking it and when i decided to go back and bid....THERE YOU WERE! Lol!...We just might have to trade with one another! :)
    Nancy

• mareas
    18 years ago

You guys are so funny! There is no hope but destitution!
    I'm in the same boat with ya'll. My mailman came with a box this morning as I was elbow deep at the potting table in my front yard & I actually said 'Oh no! More dayliles!' LOL! marea

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I didn't get the Maddox seedling but I did just get a wonderful Carpenter 2005 intro: One Day at a Time. It was for fall delivery but that was too late for my garden so I am having it delivered next spring. Alot of people think I am crazy for paying for a daylily a year ahead of time but where else am I going to get One Day at a Time for $35.

{{gwi:630533}}

• rsts
    18 years ago

Edward, ONE DAY AT A TIME is a real beauty. Love the color combination.

• numama
    18 years ago

Hey Edward....wasn't me! I did win three more of his seedlings tho! He said he would be listing more soon. LOVE your One day at a time!
    I ordered Texas Kaliedoscope and Morning Breaks Eternal from Jack Carpenter. He sent me a SF bonus of Eloquently Edged which appears similar to your pic. Another that is similar is Sandra Hudson.
    Nancy