Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweetypye

My latest project........

tweetypye
17 years ago

Oh my aching back!!!! LOL Here's a few pics of my latest garden project I thought I'd share with you all. The brick for the project was free. I just had to go get them, load them, unload them, whew....no wonder my back aches! Anyway, the area was already there, but it's on a slope, so the mulch, soil, etc. washed out when we had lots of rain. The pathways were grass. I decided to build an edging around the beds then since I had plenty of brick, decided to make brick pathways. I'm here to tell you, brick masons are worth every penny they make and then some!!! :) I'm proud to say, I did it all myself! :)

This is the area before the brick.

{{gwi:630855}}
another angle before

{{gwi:630858}}
with the edging in place

{{gwi:630861}}
with the pathways completed

{{gwi:630865}}
another angle

{{gwi:630868}}
There are already some daylilies in the area, and this year, there will be lots more!

Jan

Comments (18)

• MaxBaerHems
    17 years ago

Now that is AWESOME! Great work Jan! That will look so beautiful when the blooms come out and everything is green again...it has the WOW....factor! You do have the "Touch"!

Rick

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

YOU'RE HIRED! What a great accomplishment, Jan.

Hubby and I did brick walkways in the back yard a few years ago, and does it ever kill the back! Even worse was having to work with sand that our outdoor cats had used as a litterbox.

Hope you post more pics when the daylilies are in bloom.

Chris

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Oh, I love it! Brick walkways are so wonderful! Rest that back because as the gardening season progresses, you are going to so enjoy that walkway and edging!

• granalene56
    17 years ago

Very nice looking!! You have such a pretty garden area there and the brick path added the right touch to make it more prettier. Great job!!! Be sure to let me know what's next!!
    Your friend,
    Arlene

• mizellie
    17 years ago

good job, Tweety. I wondered what you had been up too and now I know....Ellie

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Ok how much do you charge you are hired. I have my work cut out for me the next couple of weeks because we had our back yard torn up down to the red dirt and biggggg rocks dug up when we had to dig 3 new field lines for our septic tank. Did most of the work ourselves besides the work the bulldozer did and it just tore up the back yard so we opt to lay sod so we would have grass sooner because of the kids. But no where near the back breaking work you just did with all the bricks so Jan I need to hire you to help redo my back yard. Oh also lost a bunch of my Hosta's the guy did not know where they were.
    Jill

• highjack
    17 years ago

Beautiful Jan - you did so much hard work you have now made my back hurt. (I wonder if my hubby will buy that answer?)

Brooke

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks guys, now I must get busy on building some new beds for all my new arrivals!!
    Jan

• laurelin
    17 years ago

That is just BEAUTIFUL, Jan! Please, show us pictures in the summer when the plantings start to fill in (and the daylilies bloom, of course!). There's nothing like a nice path to tie a garden together. GREAT work!

Laurel

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

I'm very impressed. I might (someday) try to lay pavers in a straight pathway, but never in a CIRCLE...all those curves...egads! Jan, you should've been an engineer.
    Kathy

• Patriz
    17 years ago

Very nice! Did you lay the bricks in cement or just tamped down soil/sand? My walkway has to get mulched every year, ugh. I enjoyed seeing your project :)

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dicentra, they're laid in concrete. It won't be going anywhere for a long time..... :) Glad you enjoyed my photos.
    Jan

• numama
    17 years ago

WOW....WOW.....WOW Jan! I NEED YOUR HELP HERE TOO! I SO WISHED you lived near me and could come give me good ideas like that! I have a creek that runs between my property and my sister's property so I have an overabundance of rock. I know building my rock edged bed last year KILLED MY BACK! Like Brooke, my back now hurts after seeing your BEAUTIFUL WORK! As everyone else, am anxious to see it once things get blooming!
    Nancy

• gardenfaerie
    17 years ago

Jan, did you put sand or a leveling base down, or just lay the bricks on the soil? Thanks! And, great job!

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

Beautiful job! Congrats!
    I remember well when we did ours and sympathize with your back aches...it will feel much, much better when you see your garden this summer with your pathways and the flowers blooming.
    Marylu

• linda_utah
    17 years ago

Beautiful!

We just took down a very old BBQ made with native brick, then used the brick (much of it broken) for a floor in my small new greenhouse. The bricks are laid on a foundation of landscape cloth & sand, with more sand swept into the crevices. It's functional, but my back is aching! You did a marvelous job on yours!

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again folks, for all your comments.
    Marylu.....down here, we do not have a problem of our ground freezing, therefore, I just dug out all the grass, tilled the ground and lowered it to the level I wanted, then laid the brick, swept in the mortar mix, wet it down, and Waa Laa....my path. Of course the edging was down with wet mortar mix. :)
    Here's the latest addition to my walkway. The lower path in the pictures above leads to a parking pad where my DH parks his RV when he brings it home. The ground slopes here, so I leveled the areas, and stepped the path down rather than have it slope.
    {{gwi:630870}}
    Jan

• MaxBaerHems
    17 years ago

Wow Jan!!
    You are getting an entire Summer's worth of projects done...and it hasn't even offically... started Spring....yet...Great work...:)

Rick