Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

Rambling

rsts
18 years ago

Thought I would start a new thread and we can ramble wherever it takes us.

Brooke, did you have a nice day and get lots done today? I read the info on potting mixes more thoroughly and found it interesting. I will definitely try to improve the potting medium on anything I keep in the greenhouse next year.

Brooke, you also mentioned Tremic (I think) that you thought could be oversprayed on daylilies. Just curious, have you used Tremic? If it can be used to overspray daylilies, I will probably use it. I now have something that can be oversprayed on daylilies, to kill nut grass and something else for grass. If Tremic can be used to kill weeds, that would be great.

I planted 50 seeds in the garden today, all the same cross. In rummaging through the refrigerator for the seeds, I found seeds from 2003. I think that was the year I collected 5,000+ seeds and never planted lots of them. Has anyone planted seeds that old and if so, did they still have a fairly good germination rate? I think I have tested a very small sample of some that old and the germination rate was very poor.

Before I forget, VICTORIAN LACE bloomed today. I really like it, but did not get a good picture. My fault, not the cameras. Color was ok, but poor angle. Anyway, it is a very nice daylily. I have decided that if Brooke recommends a daylily, pay 'tenshun, well, at least if it isn't a skinny one.

Marcia, perhaps you should just try hybridizing a few seeds to see if you like it (very evil grin). When I first started, I said perhaps I would try 100 seeds.

Finally, regarding seeds again - Brooke said daylilies can be planted in an all pine bark/pine fines mix. Wonder if it would be ok to plant seeds in this mix. I am building a raised bed to plant some of the seeds collected in May/June and this is the most convenient thing to use, if it will work. BTW, I am getting the finer ground bark for this bed.

Nuff said!!

Comments (25)

• highjack
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Now we have Royce doing evil grins at Marcia, (picture spider to the fly) inviting her into another addiction with her daylilies and an invitation to ramble wherever we want to go. I hate to toot my own horn because I'm very modest, but ramblin' is one of the best things I do (some people call it lack of concentration), I consider it an asset.

My husband got the information on Trimec from a well known hybridizer in Ohio. He had read/heard about the success of Trimec and has also added it to the chemical arsenal here. In fact, he ordered everything earlier this week that he thinks he will need. When we first started doing seedlings in the field, he honestly thought he could keep the thugs at bay without chemicals but this field has been a field since the beginning of time and Ma Nature is winning.

I'm quite sure you found a Stout winner in the frig - I would think if the seeds are firm they would germinate.

Ahhhh, VICTORIAN LACE, love her, she will win the Stout. In fact, I looked for her on the garden judges ballot this year and she wasn't in the Award of Merit list. I think after you win the AofM award 3(?) times, you have to sit out a year or two and then get added to the Stout list. The only picture I have of her is the very first bloom - don't know why she never had her picture taken again. You and I like the same plants Royce, Edward hates most of the ones I like because they don't have those bright screaming eyes. I have been so happy with the seedlings from her she has been very overworked around here. I might give the old girl a rest this year and just enjoy her.

Pine bark fines - brown gold that will become black gold. After you have the bed totally filled, throw some 10-10-10 in there and make sure you get it heavily watered multiple times, to settle. You want to get the P & K into the mix. After the seeds germinate you can get away with just adding nitrogen only fertilizer.

Yesterday I put my two small greenhouses up - unlike Royce and his big permanent one (green with envy here), I have those little tacky plastic things. I got those put up and anchored and got a lot of non-daylily plants in there. I did get my pine bark soil conditioner and was shocked the darn stuff is now $5 a bag, up about $1.50 over last year. It will be interesting to see how much out bulk pine bark has gone up. I might have to break down and buy some garbage cans and store the bulk stuff. With the daylilies and hosta coming in next week, I will probably go through this fairly fast. I also have some outside containers of hosta that need to be redone. While letting the kennel boys run the big yard, I searched for some hosta seedlings I planted out last year. I was impressed with some of their increase. I couldn't find some but they might reappear later - some of the big boy hosta aren't up either. I really wish everything would emerge later because our frost date is May 10 - burnt hosta foliage is uglier than burnt daylily foliage.

We are supposed to have bad weather coming in later today but no decline in temps in the long range forecast, whoopee. I do want to clean out a perennial bed in the front today and then I will be done with spring clean up.

Enough rambling for today. My husband fixed the floor by the sunroom door yesterday that had a small piece of rot by the door. Do you know how much mess replacing this section can cause? This piece of rot couldn't have been bigger than a 8" square and the replacement is wider than a double sliding patio door and a good 18" deep - it is sawdust city out there and guess who gets to clean it up.

Brooke

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Thanks for inviting me to play, Royce! In fact, I've won a few seeds from the LA, so I will be planting them as soon as I get them. I plan to soak them a couple days before planting in the house. I have 4 seedlings from a bee-provided diploid cross growing in the house right now. But I guess until I see the first seedling bloom, I'll be more excited about the new named DLs that will be coming to me this spring. I'm thinking about retiring next year, so I'll have lots of time to grow into a new (addicting) hobby.

I really love the look of Victorian Lace, but don't want to put out that much money--yet. Maybe I'll order next year. I wonder how it will do in a colder climate.

It was finally a glorious day here yesterday. I left work 2 hours early so I could play in the garden. I put down some poison for grubs among iris plants. I hate to use poison in the garden, but I had iris borers that really devastated my plants a couple years ago, along with rot because we had so much rain. I also use Neem oil on a few things later in the year, and I squish Japanese beetles. Oh, and I put down some granular stuff for slugs.

When my DH finally asked (after many hints from me) how many DLs I have ordered and I said 40-some, he said I'll be digging holes all summer :-) I'm more worried about WHERE the holes will be dug than HOW MANY of them there will be! I know I have lost my mind!

I think we're supposed to have some rain the next couple days, but I hope to get into the garden again this weekend to continue cleanup and some pruning. I have clematis and roses that need pruned and fertilized. I know there is at least one dead one that will be replaced by a DL. One less spot to find!

Have a great day and weekend!
    Marcia

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

Hi Marcia, I was lucky enough to get a gift of seeds that included 10 Victorian Lace X Within the Veil. I can't wait to see how they turn out. 7 of the 10 have already sprouted. I have some Stamile whites coming this spring (Admiral's Braid and Knights in White Satin) and eventually I would like to have Micheal Miller and Victorian Lace too. Yesterday was so nice that I put my seedlings on the deck for the day.

Edward

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Spider to the fly" - I like that. Probably somewhat appropriate also.

Well, I drove 140+ miles roundtrip today, to get another pickup load of pine fines. Went by a place that sells Trimec. Considered stopping and getting some, but decided I had better stick with my main project for today. So, unloaded the pine fines in the raised bed, cleaned out the truck and somewhat leveled the bed. It is now filled! Need to get the lattice we discussed, if it isn't too expensive. If it's too expensive, I have some old window screens, I will probably use. Tacky, but cheap. Also, need to put out the recommended fertilizer and then will let it sit for about two months, with an occasional run of the sprinklers.

Brooke, regarding the severe increase in pine fines cost, about all I can say is - - - gulp. Makes me think perhaps I should get another load and keep for future use. The bulk price here is $14 per scoop. I can haul two scoops on a pickup.

You are right about me liking many of the same type daylilies you like. However, I also like the eyes. The following is one that I have in the gh for use this year. Parents are SHERRY LANE CARR X FOOLED ME. It was kept in part, because of performance.

{{gwi:630915}}

My sympathies to both you and your husband regarding replacing the rot problem. I have gotten to the point that I hate building/repairing projects. I had a well drilled last year and have been intending to build a pump house for about 6 months. I have finished the footing, foundation and sills. I am tempted to hire someone to finish it. I now have many gardening and other spring/summer things I need to do.

I looked at the 2003 seeds again. There must be at least 1,000 to 2,000 seeds. No way I am going to plant those. I might pick out a few of what I consider the more interesting crosses and plant them to see if they will still germinate. If so, perhaps I can give the remaining ones away and if no good, I can trash them. (Maybe I can give some to Marcia. That ought to get her hooked. lol)size>

Edward, I tried to trade for Michael Miller on the email robin semi annual trade. Did not have much to offer and got no takers. I plan to breed some lavenders to pinks this year and hope to get some whites.

Nuff rambling.

• gatransplant
    18 years ago

I'm finally feeling like my old self (emphasis on old) after battling a cold for the past couple of weeks. It was spring break for me, so I didn't have anything else to do, except gripe about my limited energy for garden chores. Of course, I was able to pot up the new daylilies that arrived. I think I could drag myself off my deathbed for new daylilies!

I drove to the coast today to get my taxes done, and drove past a mulch place! Royce, any chance the one you found in south GA was US Mulch? It's only about 18 miles from where I live, but I don't have a pickup for bulk pine bark. My BF has an old jeep & a small trailer; wonder how much bagged stuff I could fit on it?

Nice seedling. Even though spufs are my thing, I bought SHERRY LANE CARR for her beauty. I don't have a clue what to do with her except admire her. It's the same way with SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION. It's opposite everything I love, but I saw it in a show years ago, and had to have it.

Enough ramblin' for me. This is my last free weekend. School starts on Monday.

Lelia

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lelia, the place mentioned in south GA is Florida Potting Soils in Valdosta. Is that near where you live? BTW, the bulk stuff I buy is not bagged. They just dump scoops in with a frond end loader.

Pollen is very bad here now and allergies are acting up. Can really make one feel yucky.

SHERRY LANE CARR has been a good parent for me. I have several keepers from it. Hope you enjoy it.

• riverratspaz
    18 years ago

Hi all, i was out in the yard the last couple days, havent been online at all. We had the property line adjusted, and i am now seeing where my future garden will be, i might add a house? havent decided yet, just wanna fill the whole space with plants and DLs. Lelia get the DLs you like and thats all you need to know. As far as not knowing what to do with certain ones, take the prettiest SPUF you have and breed it on those outsiders you have. See what happens what do you have to lose?

Back to the yard, you would not beleive the stuff we found.... a herringbone brick sidewalk, about two feet below the surface. The property was once part of The Hermatige sugar plantation. I found a tiny teacup, nails, ax heads, files, scissors, plates, saucers, ETC. Still in view of the plantation home itself, im sure there were side-homes here. I was like treasure to me.

As far as DLs go i planted a new bed, i made two new trellis' look great even after all the cursing and fighting to get them perfect. The roses look nice next to the new DLs mainly a couple seedlings and clumps of my favorites. Ill post a pic when i get a chance. Tired as all hell. But i tell you i am liking that ELECTRIC fence. The dogs look at it like its going to come off the posts and bite them.... I LOVE IT!!!

Have an arts dinner tomorrow and a JOB interview, WISH me well, ill have to post some of my work, but thats for another day. Had some hootch my nanny made from some oranges, same one who makes the wine with my uncle, it was nice, feelin fine.

Goin to bed
    Night Gerard

• gatransplant
    18 years ago

Gerard, you're absolutely right that I don't need to have a use for a particular daylily, but in my mind it helps me justify the expense, LOL.

Hope you slept well and will ace your job interview. You've got so much talent that I know you're gonna find your dream job.

Going out while it's cool to do some weeding. Will hit 85 today, but no scapes yet.

Lelia

• highjack
    18 years ago

Royce I see you whispering to Marcia again - giggle giggle snort! I hope your seeds are still good and you send her a batch. We need more seedlingaholics in this group.

Last year the compost/pine bark mix was $38 a yard and the straight pine bark fines was $32 - can you say transportation? I used my first bag of the new stuff yesterday and it is a much better quality than last year's and for potting up stuff, I can live with that, I guess. Considering the stuff comes out of Bradenten FL, again, transportation.

My hubby loves to build but HATES repair work but it is done now so that is off his plate. His two building projects this year are a patio area in the new shade garden we are working on and another raised bed across an area where water drainage is a problem. If it rains, a river runs through the area but when there is a drought, it is a clay desert.

I did get the two bonsai out of there grow boxes yesterday and into their new bonsai containers. When you repot a bonsai, "they" tell you to comb out the roots and then root prune. This is the same type advice they give you about dividing daylilies and gently prying the fans off. All I can say is HA to both. These two trees have been growing in these containers for two years in pure pine bark fines. I had roots out the wazoo and about two feet long. Eventually you rip the things apart to be able to root prune them. It took me 3 1/2 hours of hard work to accomplish this. Gentle did not enter into the equation.

My husband when he got addicted brought in eyed plant out of eyed plant so I was on overload when they bloomed. I have many in the garden if you picked the bloom and asked me to ID it I would probably get it wrong. Some of them I love and would know it anywhere but most are just a blur to me. I am using some eyed plants in my great "program" but they are softer eyes where you have to view them up close. Two of my favorite are TREMOR and FACES OF A CLOWN. I should have seedlings bloom this year, bagel and spuf, from these two. The one I brought in this year is SPACECOAST DREAM CATCHER to use.

Leila if you are only into spufs, then use STP and work toward mini spufs. Aren't you on the yahoo spider group? There have been some interesting seedlings coming through STP. SLC can be used on any spider and you will narrow the segments up drastically the first year and then use those into more spufs the next generation. SLC has such a great tolerance for growing in every zone, you could make some really hardy spufs. SLC also creates sculpting on lots of his kids, how about a sculpted spuf?

Your property sounds fascinating Gerard. I hope you can design an interesting garden to make use of the sidewalk. Glad the electric fence is working out - at least you have some smart dogs living there.

Good luck on the job interview and will look forward to more of your art projects. I envy you your talent.

My gardening goals today - attacking the humongeous clumps of wild garlic growing in the garden. I only dig the biggest clumps and cut the rest off. If I could somehow find a market for wild garlic, I wouldn't need the lottery. Why can't I find a way to make money from my two best crops - wild garlic and nutsedge?

Brooke

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Hey, Royce, if you find some of your old seeds will germinate, sure, I'd love to have some! I think I'm crazy already, so why not? I like your seedling, too. I received my first LA DL seeds yesterday so I plan to soak them for a day or two before planting. Do any of you let them start to root in the water before planting?

I'm glad to hear so many of you like SHERRY LANE CARR. I have her coming from one of my auctions. I also have a couple spider-types coming, some eyed ones, some ruffled ones, some light, some dark, some big, some little--see why I had to order so many? I didn't know what I'll like best once they are growing in the garden :-)

It's interesting to know, Royce, that breeding lavenders to pink might get you white. Hmmm, there's a lot I don't know.

Gerard, I'd love to find stuff like that on my property. Like a treasure hunt. How fun! Hope the interview went well.

Lelia, I see by your username, Gatransplant, that you aren't a Georgia native? My husband and I have talked about moving a little further south once I retire, but not sure how we'd adjust. Where are you from originally?

Brooke, I have what we call wild onions growing here. I don't know where they come from, but they are everywhere! And the bulbs are buried so deep it is hard to get rid of them even by digging. It's too easy to miss some of the small bulbs, so they'll just be back again. I wish I knew how to get rid of them easily. But I guess there's no such thing as "easily" with weeds.

It rained a little yesterday and is cloudy and windy today, but 50. I might get out after lunch to prune if the rain is done for the day.

Hope you all have fun today!
    Marcia

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Gerard, hope you get the job. If you get it, tell us all about it. Will also be interested in seeing some of your work. You have a very interesting yard, first plants, now other treasures. When I built my house, I also planted lots of small trees. Since deer are plentiful here, I put up an electric fence for several years, until the trees were large enough the deer would not kill them. When I first put it up, they broke it a couple of times and then got the message. Even though it was only about 18" (maybe less) high to the first wire, they tried to go under instead of over. The top wire was probably about 5' high. It was funny to see the deer tracks coming up to the fence with steps about 2' apart and after hitting the fence, they left with the tracks about 8' apart. They also jumped it when leaving. It works!

Brooke, I agree with you about transportation. Several years ago, the going rate around here was $2.50 per loaded mile for hauling. I expect it is higher now because of the great increase in oil prices. Even at $2.50, transportation cost is more than the cost of the pine bark fines.

I have often thought the best way to get rid of nut sedge is to be able to sell it for something. Then, it would get some kind of dread disease/insect, for sure. 'Course, they would probably cross over to daylilies, so maybe that is not such a terrific idea.

Marcia, there was a very interesting post on the email robin some time ago, explaining why we get white from lavender and pink. Basically, it is because of the way our eyes see color. It warned to stay away from yellow in trying to get white. So, I intend to try it this year.

Been mostly moping around today. Between allergies and allergy pills, my energy done got up and left. Tree pollen is now very bad. Still dabbing daylily pollen. I am about as good at moping around as at rambling. About half the gh daylilies have bloomed quite a lot and the rest are yet to bloom, hopefully in a week or so.

• highjack
    18 years ago

Sorry about your allergies, it must be horrible trying to garden when they are acting up.

I did get one bed harvested of wild garlic. In fact, I can still smell it on my hands. With the rain yesterday, I could actually pull the stuff up - some I broke off but most slid out of the ground in clumps, with mud. I wish I could find a chemical to eradicate it but it is a waste of money to apply RU to it. Yes, it will kill the green and growing but it doesn't get all those delightfuly teetiny bulbs in the ground so they come up the next time. I would pull with my right hand, hold the clumps in my left until they got too heavy, and then I heave them over the fence. I feel sorry for people with neighbors because all unwanted things get the heave into the field here.

I helped my husband put the water fountain thingee together this afternoon. By the time he was finished, there were 20 grackles sitting in the tree talking about their favorite watering hole. They couldn't wait for him to leave to come take a bath. They use the pond but the fountain is their favorite source of splashing.

Does anyone else have grackles? Ours arrive on March 1, raise two clutches and are gone by July 4 - you can mark your calendars by their arrival/departure times. I know many of these are repeat visitors because how else would they know those weird cement bowl things are to hold running water. I didn't particularly care for them but after watching them closely for years, I really like them. They are comical - they tour the garden and flip leaves over around the plants looking for food (bye bye slugs), they go around the edges of the bed on the ground, flipping and looking. The males follow their females doing this bizarre mating behavior thing, puffing up, flaring their wings and bowing. She ignores him, most of the time. I watch them work for hours pulling apart the ornamental grass clippings to make their nests. I watched one this morning for 10 minutes, finally got it seperated and then flew to an old pear tree to try to build a nest. Now this tree has zero leaves - must be a young one - finally gave up and flew to a taxus.

Beside grackles, we have a pair of bluebirds already sitting. Life is good on the farm in the spring.

Any good news Gerard?

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

Hi Brooke, I did a little bird watching today. I drove down to Cape Sable Island to see the Brant migration. There were hundreds of them along the beach.

This is not my picture of a Brant.

{{gwi:630917}}

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nice picture Edward, even if it isn't yours. I think it would be nice to see the migration you mentioned.

Brooke, I occasionally have a few grackles. I recall one funny incident. I have mockingbirds. They are very territorial among themselves and occasionally towards other species. One day a mockingbird and a couple of grackles were sitting on a utility line. The mockingbird kept inching toward the grackles and it appeared it would eventually attack. The grackles put it on the run. It is the only time I have seen another bird put the mockingbirds on the run. I have read that grackles will eat the eggs of other birds, which might be the reason the mockingbird attacked. When they are nesting, mockingbirds will attack crows unmercifully.

• gatransplant
    18 years ago

Edward, what an elegant bird! While the headlines are full of worries about bird flu crossing over to humans, no one seems to be saying too much about the poor birds. I wonder how much longer we'll be able to see huge migrations...

Marcia, I grew up just outside of Baltimore City, MD, but all I ever wanted was to live on a farm. My mom is from Johnstown, PA, so I grew up saying "you guys" and hearing my cousins say "youns" (one syllable, more yuns, for those of you from other areas) But I made the switch to "y'all" with no problems, LOL. Georgia has some sophisticated, cosmopolitan areas, but they're scattered through a lot of slower paced rural areas. I love living in the woods, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Brooke, you must be talking about the seedling picture posted by Judy Davisson. I was amazed when she said it was from STP breeding, with all that extra tissue in the throat. I'd love to know what else went into the mix for that one!

Royce, you and I can suffer together with our allergies. Even if I had tons of money, there's no way I could bring myself to run the A/C in March or April. But window fans sure do bring in the pollen along with the cool air. It's been hot enough down here to leave the windows open the last three NIGHTS. And before you northern folks get jealous, think how much work it is to keep up with the chores for such a long season. I've already done quite a bit of mowing, and you NEVER get through weeding.

Lelia

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Lelia, small world! I was born and lived in Johnstown for 10 years, then we moved not far away to Somerset County, PA. Now live in Indiana County--birthplace of Jimmy Stewart, its only claim to fame :-)

We have grackles. They are comical to watch. Our male goldfinches are starting to turn yellow now that spring is here. We feed the wild birds and have small woodpeckers, cardinals, blue jays, finches and small woods birds visit. I wish I had a good spot to take photos of them--and the equipment too! Photos through the window (usually dirty) just doesn't work well.

I think of all those poor birds they are killing trying to stem the spread of the bird flu, too. I don't think it will help much.

It was in the low 50s and cloudy all day. I should have gone out to prune, but I prefer working outside on sunny days in the spring. Once it warms I don't mind working in cloudy weather. I'm hoping to find the ambition to do some garden work tomorrow!
    Marcia

• highjack
    18 years ago

I love seeing bird pictures from other areas of the country! Beautiful bird Edward.

Yes Nancy, it was Davidson's picture of her intro out of STP that was drop dead gorgeous. I guess the mini spuf will be the wave of the future. Extra tissue on the petals - how about crossing spuf's with a Stamile mini double. Could be very interesting.

We had a great mockingbird around here for 5 or 6 years. He would sit on all the structures and sing his heart out while I gardened. I would throw grubs out onto a pathway when I found them when digging, etc. As soon as I left the area, he would come in and get it. He always enticed a girlfriend to set up housekeeping with him and would raise two clutches of babies. Then it was fun to watch him run the babies off at the end of the season. It was his yard, with a big old holly tree he guarded for winter food. I was sitting on the deck one fall watching a baby mockingbird walk the garden looking for food. Of course he thought he was tough as daddy. As he was searching one day, a white moth flew up and he jumped a foot off the ground he was so scared by it. So much for tough. Sorry to say, two years ago something happened to his second clutch of eggs and he and wife left to raise another clutch off property. He never returned. Last year we had no singing to keep us company. This year, we have one on the perimeter of the yard and hope he adopts the yard as his own private domain to keep us company all year.

It was a perfect spring day yesterday - mid 60's, sunny, very little wind. My idea of what a spring day should be, not in the 70's this early. I did actually plant a couple of things yesterday instead of just the dreaded weeding. I have a clump of variegated Solomon's Seal that was crowding some of my hosta so I divided that and moved it to the new shade area. This bed has an old tree row through the middle and because of the big roots, I put whiskey barrels with hosta weaving through the trees so I could utilize this unplantable area. The Solomon's Seal has tubers like an iris and they can't be planted very deep so I could plant the tubers between the trees and barrels. I also had a couple of self-seeded columbine that I moved to the area. It is nice to see something green, besides some weeds, in the new area. It wasn't much digging, but it did feel good.

I hope all you allergy suffers are getting some relief. It's a shame spring brings misery to a great season. Hubby has fall allergies but by then gardening is winding down, not up.

Today, more garlic harvesting and will probably start on the pond. Not my favorite chores but it will be warm enough to play in water. Right now, we only have a pump stirring the water, time to get the filters on and running.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, it's 89 degrees outside as I write this. Lelia can sit there with here windows up if she wants, but my AC is running (and feels very good). lol Pollen is in little mounds on the porch. 'Course, they might not be as large if I would sweep the porch. Then again, that might stir it up and bother my allergy. At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Brooke, thanks for all the suggestions while I was planning/filling the raised bed. It is now totally finished. Today, I put 10-10-10 on it as you suggested, reinstalled the sprinklers and turned on the water. Will water it the rest of the day. It will probably be about two months before I use it, so it should be in good shape then. BTW, I found a web site for another place that sells compost, bark, etc., but the ground bark is a little over twice the price of the other place and is only about 10 miles closer. Link below of their product list in case anyone is curious about these things.

Speaking of mockingbirds, it is interesting how they are so protective of their young and then how aggressive they are toward them once they shove them out on their own. It's nice to have the birds. They are insect consuming factories, while feeding their young. Prior to my shrubs/trees getting large enough to provide nesting places for the birds, I was overrun with grasshoppers. The birds now take care of them for me.

If the weather stays this sunny and hot, guess I will be putting up the shade cloth shortly. I would prefer to wait a while, but it is getting too hot in the gh. Today, had blooms on RIBBONS AND THINGS, SHORES OF TIME, VICTORIAN LACE and a few seedlings that I like. I am probably about half through pollen dabbing. None of the lavenders have bloomed. Hurry!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bark, Krap, etc.

• highjack
    18 years ago

Doesn't it feel good to get a project done?

Boy, your gh had to be gorgeous today with those blooms. Now where are the pics of the seedlings you like?

I guess I need to brag on my blooms today - non-daylily so don't read any further unless you are interested in spring blooming plants around here - dandelions, gorgeous crop going particularly the ones growing between the flagstone path around the pond bed - creeping charlie, gorgeous blue/purple blooms and I am a master gardener growing those babies - wild violets, all blue/purple ones, the white ones haven't bloomed yet and the violets are great companions for charlie - a white wildflower that grows in a rosette cluster thing with a tiny little bloom, for such a tiny flower and cluster, they have a wonderful taproot.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just realized I haven't quite finished the project. Still have to put lattice, or something, on the sides for shade. Still, close enough to being finished to feel good.

I know what you mean about your crop of flowers. Normally, I have dandelions out the kazoo, but not too many this year. Maybe the Roundup is paying off.

Will post a few pictures later, on another thread. Thanks for mentioning it.

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Brooke, I have the same wildflower/weed that you do. I understand they shoot their seeds once they are ripe so they end up growing everywhere!

It was a great day here today. In the 60s, sunny, not too hot. I began to prune and fertilize roses and clematis. There was a lot of damage to the rose canes. Our temps this winter went up and down all the time and we had little snow cover. Some rose plants will recover and some will dwindle and I'll eventually dig them out. I'm tired and will be a little sore tomorrow, but I feel good!

Our daffodils just started blooming last week. I'm not ready for 80-degree weather yet--perhaps I'm not meant to live in the south :-) We have had a dry spring so far. I hope it's not going to be another summer like last year--very hot and dry. Wish it would rain a few days this week.

Now that we've changed to daylight savings time, I have to get up at 4:45 am tomorrow :-( I have a few things to do yet tonight, so I'd better get busy.
    Marcia

• highjack
    18 years ago

Oh Marcia, please don't call my pretty little white wildflowers weeds! I have been thinking of them as a gift from Ma Nature. What amazes me is this is a totally new gift because I don't remember weeding, er, enjoying them in the past. They are growing everywhere but love the cultivated areas the best although my so called lawn has them too.

Why do weeds love to get right in the middle of clumps of daylilies? My poor S. CREAM SUPREME was almost totally covered by the most gigantus (a step above gigantic) dandelion you have ever seen. The other thing I have that I cannot get out is a vine with THORNS growing in the middle of UNTAMED GLORY. This year I am going to let it grow above the foliage and then paint in with undiluted RU. Last year I kept cutting it off or trying to pull it up with pliers but cannot get it out of here.

My forsythia is still blooming, my few daffodils and hyacinth, no tulips yet and my redbuds are getting ready to kick in. My new last fall, Forest Pansy redbud is going to bloom and I'm really anxious to see that one.

Heavy rains here last night with lots of thunder and lightning but no severe weather. There were a couple of tornados in the county north of us but no heavy damage. Spring is definitely here. The ground is saturated (wish I could share some with those in drought conditions) so this afternoon we are going to go to our favorite nursery to see what is new and great. Then we keep our fingers crossed ALL year to see if it is still around when they have their 50% sale in August.

Brooke

• riverratspaz
    18 years ago

Back guys, sorry the interview and all was an out of town affair, afterwards though there was a party that the guy i interviewed with was also invited too, so that allowed for some FACE time. I think all went well, he asked if it would be alright to call for a second interview, so everybody keep you fingers crossed. Going on another soon. I just dont get any benefits here and im getting by-by the skin of my teeth so its time!!!

As for the garden heres some pics of the garden, shed, and some scapes, mine are outside royce, not in the GH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Brooke i also threw in a pic of my TREE crype myrtles just for you, in that pic you can see the chopped area in the side yard where all the new property will be, also the house is for the parents, ill be living on the acreage next to them, FREE LAND is AWESOME!!!
    G

{{gwi:630919}}

{{gwi:630922}}

{{gwi:630926}}

{{gwi:630929}}

• mlwgardener
    18 years ago

Hi Brooke,
    I planted a Forest Pansy redbud 2 Springs ago and It is one of my favorite trees in the garden. Now, I love any redbud, but the burgandy foilage on the FP just steals my heart! I have had good growth with mine. It was maybe 30' with only 1 limb when I planted it(the only one Lowes had and it was half price). Now it has many limbs and is just nearly a perfect shape. It was beautiful last year and I hope even better this year. This picture was made June 05,2005. It grew probably another 6-8' later in the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:630913}}

• highjack
    18 years ago

Gerard I love your tree crepe myrtle - nope, can't get that big around here but I do like them as a shrub. Is the tilled area in the last pic your new garden area? Move the dog house and make that shed a focal point in a new garden - what great charm.

mlw the Forest Pansy is gorgeous. Mine hasn't started to leaf out yet so haven't been able to admire the foliage but I do have blooms getting ready to rip. It was fall when I got it and the leaves had lost their dark purple tint. I got it half price from one of the nurseries here and it is about 7' tall. I think I am going to add the Hearts of Gold cercis to the mix in that area so the gold and purple leaves can compliment each other. I just need to be patient until the fall sales!

Brooke