Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

Butterflies and such

rsts
18 years ago

I have posted some pics of butterflies for guess who and one pic of a praying mantis. There are 11 in all, so I am giving a link rather than posting here. These pics are reduced. The original size shows more detail - obviously.

These were taken with the Nikon 8x zoom camera. Yeah, I know I said the Nikon was a pile of junk, but that is another story.

Royce

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterflies, etc.

Comments (12)

• numama
    18 years ago

Enjoyed the butterfly pics Royce! Here is a future monarch shot I got with my Canon Powershot S50 without the macro zoom!
    Nancy
    {{gwi:631137}}

• katlynn719
    18 years ago

Hi y'all,

Enjoyed the butterfly and caterpillar pics. Here are a couple more critters -
    {{gwi:631138}}

{{gwi:631139}}

Isn't this fun!

Kat

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

Royce, what beautiful shots! I see I'm not the only butterfly chaser around here. Nor am I the only voyeur. I was just lucky enough to have my camera for this candid shot:

{{gwi:631140}}

And in case you ever wondered how to catch an elephant, this little guy shows us, but CAREFUL, they're slippery devils:

{{gwi:631141}}

And here's my Dude, fighting with me for his turn on the internet:

{{gwi:631142}}

These were all taken with my Vivitar. But I can't wait for the season to get underway so I can use the zoom feature on my new Canon A520. I'm looking for lense attachments now. Boy am I gonna have some fun this year!

Thanks for your sharing your pics, you guys!

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Enjoyed them all - - - well maybe the lizard one only so-so. Lizards remind me too much of snakes. Yeah, I know snakes don't have legs and after the first jilli-second (don't look it up, it's my word), it is obviously not a snake. As you might guess, snakes give me the heebie-jeebies. I dislike even looking at pictures of snakes.

• numama
    18 years ago

NancyAnn,
    I cracked up again when I saw your DUDE!
    I LOVE that picture!
    Nancy

• marcia_m
    18 years ago

Nice photos! I love taking photos of bugs and butterflies in my garden. Here are a few of my favorites.
    {{gwi:631143}}
    {{gwi:631145}}

These two were taken at the butterfly house at Hershey Gardens.

{{gwi:631147}}
    {{gwi:631149}}

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

Y'all sure do get some great shots. I love critters in the garden.

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

NancyAnn, I liked the voyeur picture and the one of the frog. Did you frighten the frog really bad?

Marcia, very nice pictures.

I have seen a couple of butterflies flitting around already, even though we had frosts the last couple of nights.

BTW, last year I tried to get some shots of hummingbirds. I don't have feeders, but have some plants they like a lot. Could never get focused before they moved. Maybe, this year.

• highjack
    18 years ago

Get a tripod and cable release for your camera!

Brooke

• mlwgardener
    18 years ago

What a wonderful treat on a cloudy,cold, yucky Spring day. Thanks so much for all of them.Mona

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

HAha - I just transferred my pics from my camera yesterday and found this one taken March 21 (I believe). It's not so bad showing it now that all this is past us. Hard to believe this was less than a month ago. I took the picture from inside the house through the (rather dirty) picture window, and it was fairly far away.
    I wanted to try out the zoom :)

{{gwi:631150}}

Tammy

• highjack
    18 years ago

Brrrrrr Tammy - thankfully that season is outta here!

I have a covey of bobwhite that have taken up lodging on the property. I know they have been here in the past because I would occasionally here the call. BUT I HAVE A HERD OF THEM! They are in the yard, garden, barnyard all the time. They will let me get about 10' from them before they walk away.

I was doing an evening tour with my garden friend, Filly the cat, the other day and as I was leaving one of the shade areas I heard a clicking noise. Ten feet away was a male with his headpiece thrown forward and his tail fanned out. He was clicking at the cat following me. Thankfully she is old and not much interested in hunting anymore so I turned in the opposite direction and called her to follow me. As soon as we turned, he quit and started pecking again for food. Wonder if they eats slugs?

Brooke

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus