Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

Cameras

rsts
18 years ago

I had intended to make a long post about cameras, showing some examples, etc, but have run out of time and energy tonight.

Since I have called the Nikon a pile of junk, I probably should explain a little. There is an advisory notice put out by Nikon that a "few" of the 5700s had a certain problem. Well, guess who got one of the "few". At one point it was so bad that one could barely distinguish a tree as such. At best, it looked like a weeping willow, or some such. I sent it to the Eastern US Nikon repair center. They kept it a rather long time. They have a web site showing the status and for about two weeks, the status was "waiting for parts". WAITING FOR PARTS - in one of only two Nikon repair facilities in the US, when the problem is known to the extent that they put out an advisory notice on it. Oh well, at least the repair was free. I had to pay shipping costs to the repair center.

I still don't think the color is accurate on some colors. I think I will take more pictures, compare it to the old Olympus I have and if too far off return it again with pictures from both cameras. In some instances the color is not terrible, but with flowers, I think subtle inaccuracies can make a lot of difference.

Still thinking about other cameras. Brooke jogged my memory with the comment about using my present lens if I bought one of the slr type cameras. I had never seriously considered a Minolta digital, but some of the reviews for them are quite good. However, I suspect my lens are so old, they won't work. They are probably around 25 years old. I could check with Minolta on whether or not they would work. Don't think I want to spend that kind of money now, but it is something to think about later.

Comments (3)

• katlynn719
    18 years ago

Hi Royce,
    You mentioned your camera had trouble with pink colored flowers. So I thought I'd post some examples of photos I've taken this month with my new camera - Canon A620. This is a camellia blooming in my yard. The photo hasn't been altered except for sharpening, resizing and compression. The pink color is dead on.
    {{gwi:631175}}
    This is the same photo, but cropped very close.
    {{gwi:631177}}
    Someone mentioned problems with white flowers. This is amaryllis picotee -
    {{gwi:631179}}
    As far as I can tell, there is very little difference between the Canon A610 and the A620 (except in megapixels). So maybe this will give you some idea of what to expect. I still have a lot to learn about photography in general...so much to do and never enough time...but it sure is fun!
    Kat

• highjack
    18 years ago

I wish you could hear my husband's talk on digital photography and why cameras (film or digital) will never see what the eye is capable of seeing.

I can't help you on choosing which camera but our first digital was a Nikon Coolpix and I hated it. I was used to using a SLR and I would constantly move the camera because of the lag time. I was also used to looking in the viewfinder and seeing how the picture was framed. The screen on the Coolpix was hard for me to see, outside in full sun and usually without my glasses.

We now have a Nikon SLR type (sorry I can't tell you the model) and all of our old Nikon lenses fit this body. My favorite is a zoom lens 75-150 I think. With the zoom, I can be farther away from the bloom and still get a close up. It is very easy on my back.

My goal this year is to actually learn to use the camera properly instead of putting it on auto and snapping. You can make the changes needed for more true colors by changing the white balance and several other things (I'm usually nodding off by this time when hubby explains it). He would make a great professor for someone who wants to sit in a chair and here him talk. I'm the hands on type, I won't remember all this until the camera and the results, are presented to me. I guess I have a short attention span.

The only color I have trouble with on auto, are purples and ohmy, are they off. Mort Morss wouldn't recognize FORTUNE'S DEAREST if he saw my picture. As stated, this is not the color of FD and when you manipulate it for the correct color, the foliage is also purple. {{gwi:631182}}

I'm sure you will find something you like after doing all your research.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kat, thanks for the pictures. The pink does look very nice.

Brooke, I finally decided to email Minolta to see if my old lens will work with their digital slr. I will be surprised if they do. In trying to recall how old they are, I believe they must be 28 to 29 years old. (Gosh, has it really been that long lol).

It's funny you should mention white balance. On the old Olympus, I don't think I have ever gotten even one single decent photo on automatic. Using the white balance is a must. However, the camera is fairly simple. The Nikon seems to have adjustments on top of adjustments, well almost anyway. If the two cameras are put on automatic, the Nikon might take the better picture.

I would like to hear your husband's photo lecture. I enjoy that type thing from competent people. From the email robin, I know he sometimes stirs things up a little, but is obviously very intelligent.

I know one of the problems is that the human eye will lie (well, maybe exaggerate) a little. I sometimes pick out things I like, such as a super ruffle and overlook some other faults. The camera shows it all. On the first seedling I showed a few days ago, that I hybridized, I really liked it at first. Nevermind that two of the petals turned up like little boats. I liked the third one, the color was nice and the ruffling was nice. The camera showed the truth and three days later I am thinking it has to make tremendous improvement to avoid the compost heap. BTW, the second bloom had all three petals turning up like little boats.

All this is a very long way to say, I think I will try to be sure it really is the camera and not me. I am going to really work with it and all the adjustments. If I cannot get the picture I think I should get after serious experimentation, then I will do something else.

BTW, the following is from the Nikon advisory on the model I have. I have returned it once and I still wonder if it has some of the color problems mentioned.
    While only a limited number of COOLPIX 3100, 5700 and SQ digital cameras are affected by this advisory, if your camera presents symptoms that can include (1) images with a strong color tint, (2) images that are totally black and/or (3) images with visible defects, Nikon will, upon confirmation that the problem is associated to this Service Advisory, service your camera free of charge.color>

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH