Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numama

BLOOMING in Northwest Arkansas

numama
18 years ago

Hello DL fanatics! While waiting for my favorite beauties to awake I must share with you what I have blooming for me now. In addition to the pics I posted on the NOW WHERE'D You ALL GO thread here are some more of my specialty daffodils.

Nancy

{{gwi:9760}}

{{gwi:9761}}

{{gwi:9763}}

{{gwi:9764}}

{{gwi:9767}}

Comments (7)

• highjack
    18 years ago

Very pretty numama but I have a confession - I don't care for daffs or other early spring blooming plants! I know, shame on me but if it blooms before the weather is stable, I don't get out to see them. I also don't care for the foliage issue with the bulb type plants. I get my early spring fix of color from other peoples yards.

I also get my fix from pics so please feel free to send more while I sit inside and endure, hopefully, winters last fling.

Brooke

• rsts
    18 years ago

Very nice Nancy. I guess I come down between you and Brooke on daffs. I have a few, but they are from the big box stores.

Brooke, I can identify with your comment about not getting out to see them. I feel a little that way about late blooming daylilies. Who cares if they are blooming in July and August? I am inside where it is air conditioned. That is a bit of an exaggeration, as I do run out quickly in early morning a little to look at them, but often I use that time to do must do other things.

• numama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes Brooke, you and Royce are correct in the foilage problem. I have these planted amongst taller perennials to hide the foilage when they are dying back so it works out well for me. I've got this problem... something pretty, unusual, hardy ... I get it! LOL. My mistake was starting out with specialty tulips which bloomed one year then NO MORE! I quit buying tulips unless they are guaranteed perennial! Unfortunately they tend to be red, yellow or white.
    Weather is very unstable here too! Spring to winter, winter to spring and right now it's winter again! We might have 2-3 inches of white stuff come Mon. or Tues. I wonder how that will effect my beautiful daylily fans!?
    Nancy

• highjack
    18 years ago

I do like spring flowers but in someone else's yard! I am a collector of, beside daylilies, unusual trees and shrubs. I wish the front part of our property didn't sit on a rock shelf because it limits where I can add trees. When you dig a foot down and hit solid rock, not a good tree location.

Royce I'm still hybridizing in July and part of August and yes, it's hot. I'm usually inside by 1 and don't go back out except to sit on the deck with a refreshment until after dinner and a cool down. I can always work in the shade beds then and enjoy them.

Brooke

• rsts
    18 years ago

Brooke, I expect your July/August is different from my July/August. It is usually 95 to 100+ here in much of July/August. I am hoping to be finished hybridizing by the end of April. There might be a few late stragglers that I have to dab in May, but should be nearly finished in April.

Nancy, I bought the Canon A610. The camera and a 1 GB memory card cost $239 delivered. Not too bad, but still annoyed that a $600+ Nikon does not work properly.

• highjack
    18 years ago

Nope, that is exactly the weather I had last year starting mid-June, July, August and a couple weeks in September and then throw in the drought. Pod setting was miserable for the bagel blooms. Had really good pod setting on the spuf's because spring was early and cool when most of them bloom. I dabbed and dabbed and dabbed to get 1400 seeds, with 1/3 being spuf. I had water bills for two months at $200 and the one month when we got rain from one of the hurricanes it was ONLY $125 - whadda bargain!

Brooke

• riverratspaz
    18 years ago

All my daffs have been finished for about a month now the last one bloomed two weeks ago, and its was the last, i now have ST. JOSEPHS starting to peek, i saw the first blood red bloom yesterday, it was nice, and the smell was of potent lemon rind!! LOVE that smell! i would compare to a lemon tree in full bloom if you have ever smelled one!

Seeing leaf bracts emerging between the DL leaves, im scared to pull back the leaves cause i might break a premature scape in the process?

Waiting patiently!
    G

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County