Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

Weather Whine

highjack
18 years ago

It seems I am always complaining about the weather. It is either too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet, too windy or the opposite, no wind and the flies and bugs cling to you.

Right now I can't complain about moisture because we are getting just the right amount. I know there are people begging for rain but for the moment I am happy.

Temps might be a tad warmer that what I think is perfect spring weather but I guess that is better than below normal temps. OK here's the whine - my hosta are a good two weeks ahead of "normal" and our last frost date isn't until May 10. I can definitely end up with mushed lettuce leaves in the next four weeks. Daylilies will be fine if they get a hard frost - hosta look like cr@p if it happens to them.

I could whine about the wind but outside of the inconvenience of not doing what I want to do when I want to do it, I will save that whine for something really important I need to whine about.

Who wants to join my whine party and who is bringing the cheese?

Brooke

Comments (10)

• riverratspaz
    18 years ago

We are in a drought right now in Louisiana, its been super dry here. Windy too. But fortunately ive been able to see the benefits of living on the river here. While we were doing the dirt work, and finding all that stuff, i also noticed that as they took the first load of dirt away, not even a foot off the surface..... the dirt was super wet. I was so excited to see that our water table is as high as i had suspected!!!

Other than that nothing to complain about, ive been getting burnt on a regular basis peeling now, but feels good, crawfish boil tomorrow... more sun!!!!

Enjoying the weather, and hoping for a few light showers, as i dont water the DLS and if i lose seedlings this year, it will be to the dry weather.

Gerard

• numama
    18 years ago

We haven't had rain in the last week and a half....WHINE, WHINE...mmm cheese!
    I had to water yesterday...ran the sprinklers and moving them around from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. and still didn't get everything watered! I sure hope we don't have the same drought we had last year! All the lakes are so low around here!
    Brooke, I'm feeling for ya on the hostas. I put in a new bed with ferns and hostas last year....nice shady spot....WELL they are up and looking good but there is not enough leaves on my big trees to shade them just yet...so far they aren't scorched but I'm keeping my eye open.
    Ooops outta cheese....
    Nancy

• gmatx zone 6
    18 years ago

Brooke,

I'll join your whine party!! (Cheese is red-rined longhorn - hope that's okay).

We are the driest we have been in 50+ years. Have lost over 900,000 acres here in the Texas Panhandle (yep, no mistake on the comma or zeros) in the last 5 weeks - most of it during the week of March 12-18. Twelve people lost their lives. Just buried yesterday the firefighter who died Sunday from his injuries. We actually had a little bit of rain March 19 (about 1/2") and the humidity stayed high enough that next Saturday that we were not afraid to have the tractor and mower in the pasture to get the grass down - cut it the lowest we ever have, but needed to reduce potential for fire spread. Our winds have been extremely high and constant this spring. Of course, we just set out 90 tree seedlings and these winds have been horrible on them (mostly spruce and pine). Daylilies and other perennials are doing good. We really didn't have a winter. Today it is supposed to get up to 92F. The next 7 days are predicted to be 80-90F. If this is an indication of what the summer will be, well, let's not go there...LOL!

Okay, I've whined enough. Gotta go dig the cheese out....

Mary

• rsts
    18 years ago

Well, I was going to whine a little, but after reading Mary's post, perhaps I won't.

Everything is really going reasonably well here. We had frost 4 nights in the last week, but it did not seem to hurt things a great deal. We had a much needed rain last week and all is well on that front. I would like a non windy day to spray RU, but have plenty of other things to do. So, all in all, not too bad.

Mary, hope your weather improves.

• numama
    18 years ago

Mary,
    I'm just a jaunt east of ya over here in the Northwest Corner of Arkansas.
    Weather hasn't been much better this way.
    The fire news is constantly on our local television channels and is such
    heartbreaking news to see. Just tragic that 12 people have lost their lives.
    Hope things get better! We got to 83 degrees today and getting hotter every day!
    Nancy

• highjack
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nancy your hosta will be fine. Unless shaded by a structure, all hosta are in full sun in the spring when planted under trees. Remember, hosta are shade tolerant and will all take quite a bit of sun if sufficient water is available. I guess that is the rub for you right now.

I agree my whining is insignificant when comparing my problems with Mary's. I feel so sorry for the people in the fire regions. I hope you can receive some much needed rain before you burn up or blow away in dustbowls. Nice choice of cheese though!

Rain here this a.m. then clearing, heating up to over 80 and a chance of bad storms tonight. This will be the third Friday in a row with nasty stuff predicted. Enough whining, I am getting rain and not too much, so far.

Brooke

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This thread needs to be revisited since it appears we have major problems all over the country.

Around here I've been dragging hoses since 8 a.m. and will continue dragging until dark.

The people back east are building arks. The TV was on when I came in from my latest drag and it was showing pics from PA and upstate NY. I said to hubby I would rather pay for my water than be faced with conditions they are living through. Hope all is well for our forum friends.

Wouldn't it be nice if the rain would equal out - just the right amount for everyone.

Brooke

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Hi Brooke,

We visited Ohio a couple weeks ago, and I was struck by how dry it was there compared to where we are in Upstate NY. And everyone has heard of the fires out west. Of course, now WE have too much of a good thing (as the Susquehanna River invades our back yard inch by inch). But we're well, and better off than MANYMANYMANY folks in our city. Those pictures on CNN? Yes, they're true; I can hardly believe it, and it's in our own city, in my neighborhood, in my yard. . . .

I hope you're all well, and not too wet/too dry, friends.

Laurel

• rsts
    17 years ago

Laurel and others, take care. Best wishes to you all.

We had a very dry May and June, until recently. Had some rain Monday and more today. One advantage of the dryness is that we had fewer mosquitoes than any year I can remember. Also, haven't had to do much mowing. I have been running the sprinklers a lot, even letting them run all night for many nights. I have buried pvc pipes to the raised beds and to the edges of other daylily areas. Also, have accumulated a half dozen garden hoses and just leave the sprinklers and hoses in place, without having to drag them around. Then again, I don't water most things other than daylilies. The daylilies are looking rather well for the dry year.

Considering the weather some of you are having, I consider myself lucky.

Royce

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

After last year I consider us very lucky. Just when I thought I was going to have to drag out hoses, start laying pipe and drag the pump out for the blackberries and the daylilies it rained. Then last night we had another good rain. Don't know how much we got up at the farm yet but hopefully it rained up there too. Do wish I'd have been smart enough to have put down some Snapshot last night but if wishes were horses...

Janet

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting