Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kydaylilylady

auugggghhhh!!!!!!

kydaylilylady
18 years ago

I want a tiller. Not a little dinky 5 hp front tine tiller but a 7-8 hp rear tine hoss. Now my husband doesn't really want me to have one cause he hates the tillers that pound the ground to powder and I do respect his reasons for that but occasionally I need to make new planting blocks and rework, replant the old ones. Last year I borrowed my father's JD with the 60 inch tiller on the back. Wonderful but I hate borrowing his truck, trailer and tractor and dragging it 25 miles to do the deed. Besides, there are times I'd just like to have a tiller around.

Anyway, last night a really nice Honda 8 hp job went up for auction. My husband resigned himself to accompany me to this auction. There weren't a lot of people there but they were almost all in the lawn and garden care business since this was a company going out of business. Well, anyway, this sucker was sitting there, a really nice looking machine that had a few dings and dents but started on the first pull. Very important to this old girl let me tell you. I've bought lawnmowers just on that point alone. Well, the sale started, Hubbie tried to buy a couple nice water pumps and failed. Then they got to the tiller. I thought we had it at $500 and then all of a sudden this young whippersnapper standing in front of us woke up and started bidding. Fifty bucks a pop and at $800 I had to draw in my horns and let the punk have it. Although this machine new sells for almost $2200 I just couldn't make myself spend that much on a used machine. Probably should have but didn't. Now my husband went on to buy this huge power washer. Must have weighed 400 lbs, especially by the time we got it loaded on the pick up, two little push mowers that we don't even know if they work or not and a darned good spare tire for his skid loader at a dirt cheap price but I, the one that wanted to go to the auction in the first place, came home empty handed. (Course he told me the two mowers, which aren't self propelled, are my anniversary gift.)

What's a girl to do?

Janet

Comments (8)

• rsts
    18 years ago

Perhaps Brooke can give you some advice. She seems to have this husband psychology thing down very good.

You might tell him you have decided you want a totally new one and that you want a commercial tiller, since you sell daylilies. I think the BCS models might be the most expensive, so naturally, tell him you want one of those (link below). Then, finally relent and settle for what you wanted in the first place.

Good luck.

Royce

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiller

• highjack
    18 years ago

Royce are you lying to us? Are you SURE you've never been married?

Janet remember a couple of years ago when Jim was going to sell our tiller? He hates the thing because he didn't get a big enough tiller and it is the wrong kind and he should have gotten yada yada. Last summer in the middle of the drought we wanted to put a recessed edge around a new shade bed but the ground was so hard you couldn't get a shovel into the ground so Jim used the tiller. Now trust me, this is not one of those little Mantis things you see advertised - you know the ones someone operates with one hand - nope, this is a big dude. I cracked up as this tiller was literally throwing him through the air and of course I wanted curves and swirls in the edge. I had a mental picture of you using this and having it fling you all the way to Lexington.

Deep down, he wants the kind you are interested in but I give the glare. He already has a tiller on the tractor and how much more garden creating are we going to do in the yard - I hope not much. I'm sure this big dog tiller would sit in the garage right next to the big time power washer, big time shredder chipper (that clogs on leaves let alone something you need to chip) and more of his big boy toys that I'm trying to forget I paid for.

Take the lifelong bachelors advice and start at the top until you compromise and then you can brag about how much money you saved him. Makes a man proud to be in control.

Brooke

• mlwgardener
    18 years ago

OH ME!!HEHEHHEHE what a sight to behold! I have a medsize tiller that I used several years ago(before it quit) that if I hit a root or anything that didn't move when the tines hit it that would jerk me like a rag doll. Feet off the ground and in really unhealthy positions!! So yeap, i got a good laugh cause I've been there done that. I really need it fixed but believe me, I do some digging with my big garden fork before I put any tiller into the ground. If not, you'd better be prepared for some harsh treatment before the day is over.

Ain't gardening so relaxing and so much fun?? Love to all, Mona

• highjack
    18 years ago

My goal is to have a garden, walk around it pointing out various, well grown plants, looking like the lady on that HGTV show - you know the one, long flowing skirt, frilly top and wide brimmed hat. Somehow my cut off's, oversized tee shirt, dirt encrusted sandals and broken dirt stained fingernails ain't gettin' it! I wonder if the HGTV woman could even find the pull cord to start a tiller?

Brooke

• rsts
    18 years ago

Brooke, you are too funny.

I have a 7hp Troybilt. Since my soil is closer to sand than clay, I don't have the severe problems some have. The only time it is a real problem is when it is extremely dry and the soil is like a brick, or when it hits something like a large root, etc. I did have one scary experience with mine. Don't remember exactly what happened (dead brain cells). I might have accidentally started it while it was in gear, or perhaps just let it get away from me on hard ground. I suspect I had it in gear when I started it. Anyway, it started jumping on the hard ground and started toward an aluminum building. If it had hit it, it probably would have made a gaping hole. Fortunately, I was able to catch it and stop it, but only after taking a good thumping on one leg.

Speaking of the tiller, I have just recently tilled the area I intend to plants seeds I will collect (hopefully) this year. However, it has been very dry here and the tines are worn quite a bit, so I really need to go over it again. I intend to do just that if I can get a round tuit.

• highjack
    18 years ago

Aaaaah, the old tuit - I have a lot of those on my list.

I don't know Royce but between the tiller and that STUPID wheelbarrow, gardening for you is rather hazardous.

Brooke

• rsts
    18 years ago

The tiller hurt was very minor, a little sore for a few days, but no big problem. I was much more concerned about it possibly wiping out the aluminum building. It is about 12 x 18 feet (I think) and I could just visualize a gaping hole where the tiller would tear through it.

The worst hurt was a broken collar bone when building the gh. The STUPID ladder collapsed. Probably, the second most painfull, although not serious in the long run, was the hurt from the STUPID wheelbarrow. And yes, these STUPID things that are supposed to help can be hazardous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladder

• highjack
    18 years ago

It appears we need to get you a dog that can run to the neighbors for help when your STUPID equipment jumps up and smacks you. If I were you, I would start being nicer to my equipment because it appears they are ganging up on you.

OUCH - Brooke

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio