Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numama

my easter surprises!

numama
18 years ago

I could not keep the excitement contained to myself....not much action in the Iris Forum. Wanted to share my beauties with you all. This was a nice EASTER SURPRISE! Six new blooms today!

DOCTOR NO

{{gwi:631910}}

PROGRESSIVE ATTITUDE

{{gwi:631911}}

NAVY BLUES

{{gwi:631912}}

ROCK STAR

{{gwi:631913}}

TRACY'S SUNSHINE

{{gwi:631914}}

ASPEN

{{gwi:631915}}

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!

Nancy

Comments (22)

• mlwgardener
    18 years ago

The loves of my Garden, that is until the daylilies start to bloom! Beautiful Thanks for sharing

• highjack
    18 years ago

Great pics Nancy! For some odd reason, I'm not very good with iris so I eliminated them from my landscape. After dividing, they take a year off and then they multiply like crazy but I only get a couple of bloom stalks from this mass of foliage. Nope, need the space for something that does better for me. I will just be a voyeur and enjoy everyone elses.

Brooke

• tweetypye
    18 years ago

Love the photos of your iris Nancy. I have a bed devoted entirely to my iris, and they have really been gorgeous this year. I moved them in the fall of 2004 and didn't get blooms last spring. I threatened them with the compost pile if they didn't bloom for me this spring, so, I guess that figured I meant business!! :) I don't know the names of mine. Never used to keep up with that sort of thing, but now that I'm into dl's so much, I'm beginning to keep all my new plants names.
    Jan

• gonegardening
    18 years ago

They are gorgeous, Nancy! I will have to add that Rock Star to my list!!

My smallest iris are almost bloomed out (sigh) (mdb or sdb, not so confident of my iris types)...but, my first tall bearded opened yesterday! And, I see several others about to pop!

Thanks for sharing the pics! More, more!

• mizellie
    18 years ago

Those are lovely numama... I di have a couple pop today.. Jesse's song, Pinafore pink and one I think is Beverly sills. Oh, and Tomoko. I do have losts of buds but not many blooms yet. I had an old one that was in the woods, purple of course. It bloomed out beautifully. I think it was perfume counter. Anyway, in the wood, can you believe it. The trees aren't fully leafed yet so I guess that's the reason. Oh and a white from the trash pile by the barn, along with another purple plic. Ellie

• rsts
    18 years ago

Very nice pictures Nancy. I have a few, but don't give the attention the daylilies get and they sulk.

• numama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for the comments. Our local floral shop paid my sister and I 75 cents per cut today! We now have nine dollars in our greenhouse fund! And we get to keep the rhizome! The Iris usually peak around Mother's Day here.

Katie, I would be happy to send you a rhizome of Rock Star as I have plenty!

Nancy

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Very nice, Nancy.

I also have some iris, but like Royce - I haven't taken very good care of them. Maybe I'll post some pics when they're blooming more. I've had 3 bloom so far.

Got a question - is that mulch I see around the irises? I didn't think you could mulch them!!! You should see all the $%#@ trees growing in my iris bed :(
    That's one of my MANY project for this summer. I'm moving all the irises just to clean the bed of all the weeds & trees. It's bad............REALLY bad!!!!!

Tammy

• maximus7116
    18 years ago

What a treat! For me, TB irises are second only to daylilies. Wasn't our first conversation when I e-mailed you about advice for my new irises last year? I did add bone meal, but it's still too early to see what luck I'll have with blooms this year. I'll have to post pics for you, but I probably won't have any until mid- or late May. Thanks -- and keep those pictures coming!

• numama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tammy,
    That is mulch! I would rather keep the mulch away from the rhizome than to be forever weeding! I rarely have to move the mulch away unless we get a hard, fast downpour and then that is not a lot of work as I've found I only have to readjust around very few! My clay soil really hangs on to that mulch keeping it put for the most part! LUCKY ME!

Yes, Chris...I suggested the bone meal as that is what I figured would be best after all the reading I did on Iris. I sure hope you have better luck after using it! Iris are second to DLs for me too...they bloom before the DLs tho!
    You want more pics? Okay here you go:

PUDDY TAT (SDB)
    {{gwi:631916}}

UNKNOWN (SDB)
    {{gwi:631917}}

JESSIE'S SONG
    {{gwi:631918}}

ELEPHANT FOOTPRINTS
    FROM SIDE AND THEN A PHOTO ON THE INSIDE
    {{gwi:631919}}
    {{gwi:631921}}

THIRD YEAR FOR THIS TREE PEONY and finally I get to see it bloom!
    {{gwi:631923}}

A CLEMATIS
    {{gwi:631924}}

• maximus7116
    18 years ago

I'm moving to your house, Nancy. The only thing blooming here are a few bulbs and rock cress. What's your clematis?

• laurelin
    18 years ago

Sometimes I REALLY wish I lived in a warmer zone!!! My irises have great foliage this year, and I'm hoping for some good bloom (many were new two years ago, and last year's bloom was sparse). My herbaceous peonies are up, but it will be a LONG time before I see any bloom. My daylilies are making nice fans - again, many new ones last year, so I'm hoping for good bloom this year. My lilacs are COVERED with buds, and I can hardly wait for them to explode into fragrance. The loves of my garden life: TB historic irises, daylilies, peonies, and lilacs.

I really really really wish I had a digital camera - maybe I can borrow my sister's for a weekend, or sweet-talk my husband into one for my birthday in August. The pictures you all share are so joyful and interesting and fun, I'd like to participate too!

Laurel

• numama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Chris, when my computer crashed last fall, I lost all the names and pics of my plants. I know I bought this at Lowe's a few years back.
    Nancy

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

Nancy, my wife told me what it was earlier but I thought it would be rude to answer. I have since forgotten.

Edward

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

Could it be Nellie Moser?

Edward

• maximus7116
    18 years ago

Edward, I always thought Nellie Moser was pink and white. I really like the fuchsia bars on this one. Who knows?

• highjack
    18 years ago

Nancy I have that clematis and when it blooms I will look at the tag and read what I wrote. Without the blooms, I'm not sure which post it is on.

Brooke

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Nancy,
    Thanks for the info on the mulch. I'll have to give it a try when I get all mine moved.

As I said, I've only got a few Earlys blooming so far:

With Castinets
    {{gwi:631926}}

I think this is Stellar Lights
    {{gwi:631927}}

Possibly........Apollodorus
    {{gwi:631928}}

Dunno :)
    {{gwi:631929}}

My purdy no-name peach that I have lots of!!!
    {{gwi:631930}}

{{gwi:631931}}
    Oops - that's not iris, that's Snowflake :)
    (I was playing with the camera a little today -
    looks like she needs to comb her hair & wash her nose!!)

Tammy

• highjack
    18 years ago

It looks to me like your disturbed the lady who had been taking a nap in a nice spot of sun. Rude, rude, rude - she has never taken a picture of you when you first arise in the morning but watch out, I can tell she is thinking of getting even with you. What a great garden companion you have!

And nice blooms too!

Brooke

• numama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay guys checked for the tag on the clematis...one of those plastic ones that comes in the flower....all broken up....has RUPPEL in it's name was all I could read. Gotta get my computer to the shop so won't be talking to ya'll till Monday! :(
    Nancy

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

It is Dr. Ruppel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Dr Ruppel

• highjack
    18 years ago

Yup, that's it because I have him.

Brooke