Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

A new thread

rsts
17 years ago

Thought I would start a new thread rather than look for some of the things I wanted to comment on.

Brooke, I have not sprayed Basagran yet. I have a little nut grass coming up in one raised bed. I used a lot of gin trash in filling the bed originally and one of the problems is lots of weeds and whatever, including nut grass. The bed is mulched well, which I suppose is the reason it is just appearing through the mulch. So far, the main gardens have zip nut grass showing. I am tilling one area that had a lot. I sprayed it last year several times with RU. I want to till it, so it will stir up the little nuts and I can spray any that germinate. I hope to have a rather clean area by the time I plant in it.

I looked for Trimec today and could not find it. Lowe's had something they said was the same as Trimec. However, I want something someone has tried and will go with the real thing. One place had it, but only in 2 1/2 gal. containers. I will either buy it online, or perhaps in another town. If you personally use it, let me know how you like it.

Someone asked about bells and whistles to look for in a camera. I guess it depends a little on what you intend to use it for. For printing enlargements, megapixels can be important. If for showing pictures on the internet, or sending disks to friends/relatives, it isn't that important. Fairly good optical zoom is nice. Digital zoom is public relations garbage and means nothing. I would go with a minimum of 4X optical and more would be better. You will need rechargeable batteries and a charger. Some cameras now have an "anti-shake" (my name) feature which allows us older folks to take pictures without tripods. I have used a tripod for centuries, so my camera does not have the feature. One thing I like, but some don't, is a viewfinder that can be used instead of the little monitor. The monitors eat batteries rapidly. No major problem except you have to recharge the batteries much more often. This is a starter. Perhaps others can add to the list.

Comments (11)

• mizellie
    17 years ago

CENTURIES Royce. Please tell us how you lived and what you did with your life to merit such old age.

I " piddled " w/ my camera and got some better color but it's still not quite right. I shall keep trying.....Ellie

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I wrote in the link below that my earliest memories were of being on a boat. Guess I should have said with lots of animals. You ever been on a boat with a pair of wet skunks and a pair of wet goats?

Here is a link that might be useful: Life story or sumthin

• highjack
    17 years ago

Aha, now I know why you ramble! How much gin do you consume to get enough trash to fill a raised bed?

I think hubby got the Trimec at Southern States. I know he got the Basagran T/O from them but they had to order it. He got a pint of the Trimec and it cost $10 and it will do a bazillion acres. He used it the other day and unlike RU, the broadleaves were wilted the next day. Plain 2-4-D is the main ingredient in Trimec but has a couple of other things in it too. The Trimec will not hurt the foliage but use it before scapes are up. Supposedly, the scapes will get deformed if direct sprayed.

The only nasty area with the nutsedge now are the seedlings that should bloom this year and this is where the Basagran will be used since it does no harm to daylilies. Anything that pops up in the cleared areas, will get RU but right now, nothing is showing in those areas from the treatment last year.

As hard as I tried to remove all nutsedge from the moved to the yard seedlings, I found some the other night while piddlin'. Today they too, will be introduced to Basagran. With two days of good weather before us, let the games begin.

Brooke

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Let me give a word of warning with anything that is kin to 2,4,-D. It might be a good idea for you to put a sticker/spreader in your tank with it. Either a commercial compound or something like a little dishwashing liquid. And also spray on very calm days. 2,4-D compounds have a much greater tendancy to drift than Round-up. And it doesn't differentiate between flowers and weeds.

Janet

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

I switched around some daylilies today. Happy Returns really shouldn't be in the back row. It is now in the front row beside Bertie Ferris. I did some more landscaping as well. I split a bed in two to make a path to the front door. I may post a picture later.

Edward

• highjack
    17 years ago

Janet is correct on the spreader/sticker being needed. I also wouldn't recommend 2-4-D for regular garden conditions. We are only using it in the seedling field to try to beat back Ma Nature, who insists on letting weeds survive down there. Trying to convert something that has been a field since the beginning of time, is very hard. I will be happy when we can eliminate some of the need for chemicals.

Of course we need pictures Edward!

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Here you go Brooke.

{{gwi:631941}}

And a daffodil, just because.

{{gwi:631942}}

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Aha, now I know why you ramble! How much gin do you consume to get enough trash to fill a raised bed?color>

Too, too funny!!!!

Brooke and Janet thanks for the info on Trimec and 2,4,-D. I'm sure I can find Trimec, but might have to order it, or find it other than locally. I want to use it on weeds in my seedling patch. I sprayed the area with RU several times last year and think the real nasties, such as nut grass, is mostly gone. However, the STUPID seeds are just sitting there taking their own sweet time to germinate and weeds are germinating like crazy. Part of the growth is grass, which is good, because I have something to kill grass that does not harm daylilies. I suspect I might have to let the daylilies and grass grow a little. I am not sure it would not harm tiny seedlings. Maybe I will get lucky and they will decide some day, to grow.

Edward, you are doing good on your landscaping. However, I still see grass.

It was a beautiful day for working here today, other than too windy for calm day projects, such as spraying. Temp in the 70s, mostly cloudy and a nice breeze. Finished tilling the area where I will plant seeds to be collected this year. It will be interesting to see if I get lots of nut grass after the tilling.

• highjack
    17 years ago

I definitely wouldn't try the 2-4-D stuff on baby seedlings because they do take a hit from the stuff. Why is having "fun" with hybridizing soooooo hard to do? Why can't I just put the things in the ground, wait for bloom, enjoy, toss the uglies, admire the pretty ones and not have to kill myself and the wallet, trying to find them in a field of weeds? Is that asking too much? Guess it is.

It was a great day yesterday with an even better day today in the forecast but rain is supposed to be returning for three days. If the plants in the ground are as happy as the grass in the yard with all the rain and cool weather, then I have a very happy garden.

Brooke

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Royce,
    Thank for the camera tips. I mostly want to use it to take pictures of my garden (lots of bloom close ups, so it looks like a tripod or anti-shake feature would be a good idea), and of course the kids and cats will wander into the pictures at times as well. I might even let my husband borrow it for his trips to hear concerts on pipe organs, which is HIS obsession. We've decided to dream big: he wants a house with a great room with a 20 foot cathedral ceiling and a real pipe organ, and I'd like a couple acres of land (and the $$$$ to have a ball landscaping it!). There's no point in a small dream!

I'm looking forward to a gorgeous weekend of hard garden work. I'll finish my last stone raised bed (hooray!), and start planting out my winter sown babies into the large annuals bed as well. I stopped by my favorite local nursery today and treated myself to 'Night Beacon,' a very nice three fan chunk that might bloom this year. (I also got ligularia 'The Rocket' to add to my shade garden, and rhubarb 'Victoria, for a partly sunny area that I'd like to make look a little tropical - and I LOVE rhubarb crisp.) And, to make life just about perfect this afternoon, my Sunshine Hollow Daylilies order arrived - NICE big clumps from their clump sale, all 4-6 fans and very fresh.

I tell you, who could ask for more on a sunny spring weekend?

Laurel

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurel, I like your dreams. Hope they come true. I think the pipe organ concerts would be neat and of course, daylilies are.

Brooke, when I try the herbicide, I will try it on something expendable before spraying a lot. Thanks for the comments.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County