Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

pictures

rsts
18 years ago

Some of the following have been posted before, but hopefully they will be interesting in the context I am showing them. I will not be offended if you do not brag on them. lol

The first two bloomed originally in 2003 and I used them as parents last year. I am showing them because of their similarity. Parents are (3-47, on left) JIM MCKINNEY X SPACECOAST STARBURST and (3-61, on right) ED BROWN X SPACECOAST STARBURST.

{{gwi:631973}}

3-47, on left above, was one of the parents of the following. I have shown the first picture before. It is a seedling planted late June, 2005. It was the first bloom and the bottom petal looked awful. The second picture is the fifth bloom as it bloomed today and is a considerable improvement.

First bloom

{{gwi:631979}}

Fifth bloom

{{gwi:631982}}

The next one is the first bloom to a sibling of the above.

{{gwi:631986}}

Since these are only about 9 months old, I will keep them another year. Don't know if they will eventually make the cut, because I already have lots of yellows.

Comments (16)

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The first picture below is a seedling that someone gave me. The second is LINDA DANIEL. I am crossing these two (and others) and hope I will get the eye and dark edge from LD and the yellow edge from the seedling. What I hope to get is a seedling with a dark eye and two wide, different colored edges. We can hope, can't we???

{{gwi:631988}}

{{gwi:631991}}

The seedling below is another one only about 9 months old. SHORES OF TIME is one of the parents. I will keep all the 9 month old seedlings one more year. As shown, it is not a keeper, but perhaps time will help it. At least competition is not as stiff with pinks as with yellows.
    {{gwi:631993}}

• highjack
    18 years ago

I love your pic comparison from 1st and 5th bloom. It appears to have picked up more sculpting than the parent.

I love the seedling your friend gave you. I know you want to put a big and bold eye on that puppy but I like the band of color around the yellow throat and wow, what thick broad petals it has.

It looks like SOT is going to give you some great seedlings. I like the edge on the sepal and width of the petals and great color. Are you happy with the new camera on this color? I also like the way the yellow throat makes you notice it. Not an eye, not a watermark but like a hunk of sunshine coming out of the throat.

Boy I'm jealous of you people with gh's or climate that can bloom seedlings in 9 mo. I have SOT's sister WREN'S SONG and I won't see anything bloom from her until '07!

Brooke

• gatransplant
    18 years ago

My favorite is the last yellow one you showed. I love the loose, looping ruffles, especially when they go all the way down into the throat. Those are so much prettier to me than the tightly crimped type of ruffle, or even the bubbly chicken phat. Which type is correctly described as pie crust ruffling--it's been a long time since I baked a pie, LOL! But seriously, I've seen pie crusts with wavy edges formed by fingers, and I've seen them done with a fork to give the effect of tiny little crimps, so which type are hybridizers referring too?

The pink one is a super color, Royce, so I hope your new camera is accurate on this one. It reminds me of a vibrant version of one of Munson's pale, watermarked flowers.

I don't have a gh, but I am in zone 8b. I've got seedlings that I started last December. This is the area of daylilies where I'm a newbie. Would it be possible for some of them to bloom this Sept/Oct, even though my other plants are through by then? How long does it take for them to settle into a normal bloom pattern so you can determine if they're E, M, or L bloomers?

Lelia

• highjack
    18 years ago

You could definitely have some bloom this year Lelia. We get bloom on a few seedlings that we do inside in January and plant out in the spring but around here, September and October bloom isn't really good because the weather has cooled off by then. In your area, it should still be warm.

I have no idea when you can determine bloom time on a seedling. My seedlings start blooming early compared to my regular garden beds.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Been working hard today and am tired, so this might be uncharacteristically short for me.

Thanks for the comments. It is interesting to read the comments on what others like and which is the favorite or least favorite of each. It also gives me ideas sometimes.

Overall, I am pleased with the Canon camera. Sometimes, I get a shot I don't like, but I think it is because of lighting, or other operator error. I am still shooting on automatic. Haven't learned how to use it other than on automatic. The color on the last picture shown above is dead on in color. However, it is a nine month old first bloom in the gh, so who knows what 2nd year outside will be.

I have been dabbing, recording, spraying, planting and now am going to bed. 'Night all.

• numama
    18 years ago

Wow Royce!
    I really like the SOT seedling! Brooke is right about the throat. It really stands out! I am very curious what time has in store for this beauty!
    Nancy

• highjack
    18 years ago

Here is a pic of an '02 seedling that has this same throat effect. When you view the bloom, the throat actually stands out more than the petal color. This is the only pic of the bloom I have and the camera can't capture it when using the auto feature. The bloom isn't the most modern or fanciest I have, but the emphasis on the throat is what earned it some more time. It is SEMINOLE WIND x SOMETHING WONDERFUL.

{{gwi:631995}}

Brooke

• numama
    18 years ago

That is quite pretty Brooke!
    Nancy

• highjack
    18 years ago

Thanks Nancy - the bloom really isn't that earthshattering, it is the bright yellow "eye" and the fact you notice it before you actually see the bloom. It reminds me of the vibrant throat on Royce's seedling.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Brooke, if I am reading the above correctly, the real bloom is nicer than the picture. That is what drives me bonkers with digital cameras. Small differences in critical areas can make a tremendous difference.

For many years I used a 35mm camera with slide film. I don't recall having the color problem with that. OTOH, I was not taking pictures of my daylily seedlings. lol It would be interesting to take some slides of my seedlings to see how true the color would be.

• highjack
    18 years ago

Royce I don't know if ANY camera could duplicate the feature on that particular bloom. The yellow eye effect is almost like a beacon of light shining that draws you to the plant. You notice it first before you can focus on the whole bloom.

If you have money to burn, then buy some slide film and snap away. Film doesn't capture color on blooms as good as a digital and with digital, you look, you hate, you try again with a different camera setting. If my memory 'members correctly, it is purplish tones that will drive you crazy with film.

Brooke

• highjack
    18 years ago

Stupid, stupid me. I knew that pic of my seedling didn't look right to me talking about the yellow "eye" and how prominent it was in the field. I found it today - SOMETHING WONDERFUL x CHANCE ENCOUNTER. {{gwi:631997}} As I said, the bloom is not in the least exciting but the brightness of the yellow eye can be seen from afar.

stupid Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yup, quite different. Very nice eye.

• mizellie
    18 years ago

Lovely, all of them...I am so jealous...Ellie

• highjack
    18 years ago

OK, you get jealous, I have envy all sewed up with the greenhouses.

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

Here are my seedlings today. The ones on the left are Coleus.

{{gwi:631999}}