Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edward_kimball_gw

Learning to Knit

Edward_Kimball
18 years ago

Hi all, while i was visiting relatives over Christmas the mother of a good friend taught me to knit. My first project is a scarf for me and I have, for the most part, finished it tonight. All I have left is to weave in the loose bits from joining balls of yarn and adding the fringe. I will do that on Tuesday. I knit with a group of retired ladies at the local pastery shop. The scarf is 60 inches long and I will post a picture of it when all the prettying up is done.

Edward

Comments (34)

• mizellie
    18 years ago

Oh my Edward, you are the handy one.. I used to knit but gave it up as I am to impatient to finish anything( except scarver and caps ).
    So, now I crochet. It goes faster and I can make the lacy, or tightly woven things I like. Anything from crafts to sweaters, vests , etc.

Everyone should have a craft of some kind for winter evenings, I'm glad to see you've found yours...Ellie

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This picture was taken when the scarf was only half done.

{{gwi:632052}}

• numama
    18 years ago

You definitely have more patience than I do! I cannot sit in one place too long unless I'm looking at DL or Iris pictures!
    I do lots of different crafts, my favorites are rubber stamping or painting.
    Nancy

• gonegardening
    18 years ago

Good for you, Edward! I ashamed to tell you that I have a hat to knit...going on two years now...and I haven't even started! Lol! I thought I should practice on an afghan first (the hat yarn was expensive)...and it is not even finished...besides, it is small (for some strange reason...like I knit tight, I guess) and therefore is a cat afghan...sigh.

FINISH! (and post a picture!)

• highjack
    18 years ago

Years ago I used to knit in the winter time when I couldn't play golf. Finally got to the point of how many sweaters do two people need or use. Heck, maybe we can start a group knitting robin and just send one piece around the group until it is finished. I hate to finish though so someone else can do that job.

Brooke

• laurelin
    18 years ago

My Mom tried to teach me to knit, but I have ten thumbs and NO patience for knitting. Sometimes I paint (landscapes, in acrylics) instead. I like counted cross stitch, but I am NOT good at finishing larger projects. I bought the material last fall to make my first quilt, and I've done NOTHING on it so far - I think that will be my fall project. Now, my mother and one of my sisters are WONDERFUL at knitting and crocheting. I just didn't get that talent from the family gene pool. I did spend most of this past winter doing genealogy research for a family/art pottery history book (in our family, the two topics are related) - my mother and sisters and I are collaborating on it.

Way to go, Edward! There is nothing like a nice warm scarf, a new skill mastered, or a project well done.

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is the completed scarf.

{{gwi:632053}}

• laurelin
    18 years ago

VERY nice, Edward! You kept the edges so even, too (mine would look like rick-rack edging if I tried to knit a scarf).

Laurel

• daylilydayzed
    18 years ago

Edward, you did a great job. I taught myself to kinit a long time ago and although I haven't knitted anything lately, I did make a small baby blanket for my oldest grandson when he was born 6 years ago.

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am working on a scarf for my wife, in red. After that I thought I might try socks. Eventually I hope to knit a sweater for myself. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. You can't see any of the mistakes in the picture but it will still keep me warm for many winters.

Edward

• highjack
    18 years ago

Edward nice scarf! IMHO, a sweater is much easier than socks! If you don't try a fancy pattern in the sweater, you are only dealing with four pieces with increases as you go up and decreases for the arm holes - straight knitting and pearling. Why waste all your time on something you can buy for $5 and with a sweater, it will last for years.

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is scarf number 2. It is half done.

Edward

{{gwi:632054}}

• mizellie
    17 years ago

I'm Impressed again. You have hung in there and completed one and started another. better hurry though as the dls will be blooming soon and we know where your time will be spent.....Did you block the scarf??? Good job...Ellie

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Brooke, here is my first sock.

{{gwi:632056}}

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Well, Edward, aren't you talented? I taught myself to crochet and knit many years ago. I still crochet occasionally, but haven't knitted anything in a while. I did lots of baby stuff for all my grandkids when they were infants, but now that they are all so big, they don't want hand knitted things from Nanna, any more. :) I applaud your enthusiasm, and hope you continue to excell in your talent.
    Just think, when you and your sweet wife have a wee one, you can make all of it's layette! Won't that be special?
    Keep up the beautiful work.
    Jan

• highjack
    17 years ago

A kaleidescope sock - leave it to a man to make a multi colored sock so he doesn't have any trouble matching it to whatever color he is wearing that day.

Now knit something useful - like a sweater or a coat.

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How about the other sock?

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Hey Edward, up until today I could have used that scarf and would have been happy to have the one sock!!! It's been so cold...this morning I went out to check my DL's and had to put on a winter jacket!!

Brooke, if you do start a knitting robin, you might not want to send anything to me...heaven knows what it will come out looking like!! :)
    Marilyn

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

No individual toes in that sock?????

Janet

Seriously, looks pretty darned good from where I'm looking.

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Brooke, I started working on the sweater. In a couple of months there might be enough to take a picture of.

Edward

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Edward, you'd better hurry up! Y'all have a frost up there in a week or two!

Janet

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tadaa!

{{gwi:632058}}

• highjack
    17 years ago

Are those your legs Edward?

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Those would be the legs and feet of my lovely wife, for whom I knit the socks. My legs are a lot furrier.

Edward

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I never did post a picture of sweater number one. Here is number two in progress.

{{gwi:632059}}

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Edward, I'm impressed - Very nice sweater, but I absolutely love the socks. I would buy those if I found them in the store.
    Kathy

• caliloo
    16 years ago

That is great!

Congrats on the fantastic stuff - you have MUCH more patience than I....

Alexa

• Edward_Kimball
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I look horrible but the sweater is looking nice.

{{gwi:632060}}

• shellieg
    16 years ago

I have a question about the directions for Sirdar jacket 8745. Is there anyone out there that is good at reading a pattern? Part of the problem is that it is from the UK and their terms are different.
    If anyone can help me, I will post particular question.
    Thanks,
    Shellie

• gonegardening
    16 years ago

How did I miss these, Edward?? Fantastic! I am inspired...maybe I will try again this winter to make something...very simple! That sweater is amazing!!

You know, I was reading those Outlander books a while back and I saw where the Scottish men learned to knit growing up...it just something everyone did, had to know.

Anyway, wow!

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

Edward, you are doing a great job of knitting.Them socks is a work of art.Very pretty.I like the scarfs also,and seems you are doing a great job on the sweather,too.I knit and crochet,too,but haven't knitted anything now for about 10 years.Have knitted quite a few sweaters.Thanks for showing us your good work.

Jean

• deemac
    13 years ago

I'm looking for a pattern for toddler or small child sesame street character sweater,preferably ernie or big bird or elmo
    my granddaughter is begging for one!

• rachelgeo
    11 years ago

I found many nice free patterns to download here:

www.howtoknitforbabies.com

There are tutorials for how to knit clothing for babies but the free patterns to download also include patterns for adults.

Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Free knitting patterns to download

• krazyknitter
    10 years ago

I am looking for a pattern for an Adult sock,,Chicken Feet,,,for a halloween Costume.. Any ideas would be great ,,tk you ..