Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

Anyone familiar with these?

rsts
18 years ago

I am considering purchasing ADAMAS, STRAWBERRY LACE and LAVENDER HEARTTHROB. Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations on these?

I am looking for something large with eye/edge, which is why I am considering the first two. I have some eyed/edged seedlings I like, but they are smaller than I like. Haven't measured them, but guess about 4 1/2". I might decide to just use PIRATE'S PATCH. It's old, but has given me some nice seedlings, so might not be too bad a choice AND I already have it.

LH might be one to consider in my quest for white, by crossing lavender to pink.

Just looking for ideas. Any comments welcome.

Comments (11)

• numama
    18 years ago

Royce may I suggestone of these,
    {{gwi:632184}}
    ADA MAY MUSICK (Lambertson'03) TET 6.75" Sev EM Re 34" (Mildred Mitchell x Mal)
    This huge bloom honors a grandmother of 93 years who has always loved flowers. Extra large petals of light pink lavender and lighter sepals are set off by a cream outer edge and a gorgeous pale blue inner edge & eye against a very green throat. ADA MAY MUSICK sings with great plant habits, 5-way branching, 30 buds, fertile.

{{gwi:632186}}
    GINNY MITCHELL K. Mitchell 2003
    6" mauve with blue-grey eye and blue-lavender, yellow-green edge. 26", Early-Midseason, Rebloom, Extended bloom. Evergreen, Tet. Fertile both ways.

{{gwi:632188}}
    DARK MUSIC
    (SALTER-2005)TET.SE.RE.6"-26".(BIG CITY EYES X FRENCH CAVALIER)A SMOOTH DEEP LAVENDET TO PURPLE FLOWER WITH A BLACK EYE AND EDGE.WELL BRANCHED SCAPES.FERTILE.

{{gwi:632190}}
    BEAMING BLESSINGS
    (CARPENTER-FALL 2004)DIPLOID DORMANT RE.5"-27"(FEATHERED FASCINATION X LAVENDER BLUE BABY)THE MODERATLY DEEP PURPLE COLOR IS BROKEN BY A DEEPER PURPLE EYE.VERY GREEN THROAT.RAPID INCRESE AND FERTILE BOTH WAYS.

{{gwi:632192}}
    MORT MORSS
    ( Salter) 2002 TET 27" SEv 6" M - Still the best purple with a heavy silver edge.

I have recently received these cultivars which I split when they arrived and have potted. Email me your address if you decide you want one of these SFs as I would certainly love to see what kind of results you would get! Payment could be one of the seedlings produced! :)

BTW, you best let me know soon as Ellie is coming for a visit. She sent me a box of DLs and will be stopping by to pick out what she wants in return. She might just clean me out! LOL!

Nancy

• highjack
    18 years ago

Suggesting eyes and edges is almost impossible for me but my memory cell kicked in and I do have SPACECOAST PICOTEE PRINCE if you would like some of it. I got it as a bonus a couple of years ago and basically just skip over it when I tour the garden.

In researching it, it has produced some other eye/edged ones for Kinnebrew that appear to also be what you could use. The parentage on SPP is listed as WEDDING BAND x SOMETHING WONDERFUL - wow, who would have thunk it! SPP has produced S. GATOR EYE, which in turn produced S. BULL GATOR which has produced one or two other very new intros for Kinnebrew.

If interested, let me know.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WOW! Thanks for the offers. Nancy, I would very much like to have MORT MORSS. I can use it both in crossing with pink, trying to get white and trying to get wider edges on those of mine with white/silver edge. If I get any interesting seedlings will be glad to send you some.

Brooke, I would also like to have SPACECOAST PICOTEE PRINCE. Will use that to try to increase the size of some of my eyed edged seedlings that are small.

The following are a couple of seedlings (blooming today) I would use. The one on the left is only about 4 1/2" (bloom), but has a fairly wide edge that is 3/8" at the widest edge and has a hairline gold edge. Would use SPP with that. The pink one is "not distinctive", as Brooke would say, but it is a very clear pink and might try MM with that as well as some of the others I showed earlier. BTW, the pink one is not a giant. It is larger than the other, but was also closer to the camera.

{{gwi:632194}}

• highjack
    18 years ago

Will do Royce - love the throat on your eyed baby. I LOVE the pink - I love the light edge, the width on the petals/sepals and also see a nice watermark. I know your old and your memory is shot but you keep forgetting to give parentage!

Brooke

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Wow, Royce - those both look awesome :)
    I think you're doing a fantastic job there.
    I bet you could get just about any daylily you wanted in exchange for some of your nice seedlings!!!

Tammy

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Tammy, thanks for the incredible compliment. Don't know about getting daylilies in exchange for my seedlings, but at least I can use my own seedlings and don't have to buy so many.

Brooke, you got it right on the old, memory, etc., etc. Actually, seedlings are involved in the parentage and did not know if you wanted to know. Parents are: Seedling x SOT and Seedling X AB.

Longer explanation:

The pink one is: (JIM MCKINNEY X ED BROWN) X SHORES OF TIME
    The eyed one is: (PIRATE'S PATCH X CREATIVE EDGE) X AWESOME BLOSSOM.

Both are 10 mo. seedlings in the greenhouse.

Royce

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

Hi Royce, both of the seedlings are wonderful. I can't help with the daylilies you are thinking about. i prefer the look of Rock Solid to Adamas but I have only seen them in pictures.

Edward

• numama
    18 years ago

WOW Royce! Those are absolutely GORGEOUS!
    Can hardly wait to see what might become of Mort being crossed with your pink! I've got a fantastic vision in my mind tho!
    I'll get Mort sent off to you Saturday!
    Nancy

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Edward, thanks for the comments. Re: ROCK SOLID vs ADAMAS, I am looking at them from a standpoint of my needs to meet the goals of my hybridizing. I want large blooms with wide edges. Per Stamile's catalog, RS is only 4 3/4" while A is 6". He also says the edge of A is 1/4" to 1/2". I too, have only seen pictures. From the pictures, I agree that RS probably has a nicer bloom.

Royce

• mizellie
    18 years ago

I think numama just gave away my MM..LOL..it couldn't have gone to a nicer person.

I love the pink, royce. It does have nice petals but the color is what got to me. Nice!!....Ellie

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Ellie, while you were fooling around on the discussion side, I sneaked over here and got MM. One has to be alert!! lol

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm