Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

More rambling

rsts
18 years ago

Finally have a little extra time, so thought I would start another rambling thread.

I can't believe I am still dabbing pollen. I probably already made more crosses than I need and made another 30 today. This is getting ridiculous, but it is hard to pass up dabbing some combinations I really like. I have now made 491 crosses and about 1/4 did not take. Last year I harvested 263 pods and ended up with nearly 2,400 seeds, which is all I want. Today, LAKE EFFECT had 3 blooms and 10 of the crosses involved it as pod or pollen parent. Also, had a bloom on a seedling from a purchased seed with parents of J T DAVIS and EDGE OF HEAVEN. Crossed that one both ways with the very nice seedling provided by a friend that I showed earlier.

Just curious, do any of you like yellows? I know I have read comments that some don't. I like them and seem to be further along on good yellow and yellow/orange than anything. Did not plan it that way. It happened mainly because early on, I used SHERRY LANE CARR and JIM MCKINNEY, which turned out to be good parents. Also, used them with ED BROWN, which still gave yellow. Got the yellow/orange by using SPACECOAST STARBURST with the above.

A few seedlings are now popping up from the seeds I planted the first week of April. It is very dry here. I have watered them, but perhaps not quite as much as I should have, or they might have germinated sooner. Fire ants are building in them. I poison them and they just move over 3 or 4 feet and start over. Those of you who don't have fire ants are missing a treat.

Nancy, I read your post that you will be missing for a few days because of computer problems. Still, I am going to post this while thinking of it. I think Jack Carpenter sells seedlings. Might be something to keep in mind when you visit. I expect I would be delighted to have some of his seedlings. Even from my limited experience, I let some go that are nearly as good as some of the keepers. I know next year is going to be real decision time on yellows, simply because I have so many.

Brooke, you provided a reference to a site that had a discussion on potting media. I believe it was specific to Bonsai, but could apply to other things. Do you still have that without having to search for it? I would like to have it and promise to print it out this time, if you still have it.

Think I have done enough rambling. Someone else's turn.

Comments (33)

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

I am busy in the garden. Todat's chore is to finish stripping sod for a shade bed in the back yard. If I real really energetic I can start moving the three yards of dirt to fill it. I got my delivery from Tom Maddox and part of the bonus was another seedling. It is Spacecoast Fancy Dancer X Seedling.

{{gwi:632278}}

As for yellows and oranges, I love them. I only have a few so far: America's Most Wanted, Larry Grace, Pure and Simple, Happy Returns and Don Stevens.

• highjack
    18 years ago

I guess I can ramble with the best of them. Has anyone noticed that Royce is a champion rambler, although sometimes he mopes around too. I'm not usually a moper but more of a piddler. Does anyone else piddle?

My favorite time to piddle is after dinner, chores are done for the day and I tour the garden and piddle around. The last time I piddled around was two days ago before the spring rains visited us. I have tons of hosta in pots and I use these pots to fill in areas in the garden next to hosta that will one day be massive. To keep me from adding other plants in these bare areas, I use potted hosta to give a full appearance right now instead of planting plants that will eventually be moved. I am lazy and don't like to make digging for myself - I have enough digging already. The day after I piddled, my husband pronounced he didn't like it - ask me if I lost sleep over it or if a pot will be moved. IMHO, the pots gives good height to a mostly flat garden and since I am queen of pot watering, they shall remain.

I've had rain for two days - just drizzle for the first day and a half and then a steady downpour for about 3 hours last night. I can hear the plants growing. Right now, I am getting just about the right amount of rain for good growth but wish I could share with those that are in drought. Since I couldn't work outside for a couple of days, it gave me a chance to work in the building. I finally have all my hosta seedlings out of coir and into the real thing. I also finally got bud swell on my last bonsai, a bald cypress, so he got tortured yesterday and into a good pot instead of a grow out containers. After being rudely cut off on top and about 2/3 of the roots cut off, we shall see if he handles the torture.

Royce the website is evergreengardenworks. I wish I could point you to other sites (I know they are out there) but I can't remember them right now. Check out Mountain Maples also - I think I remember they have good information regarding growing JM's in containers and talk about soil for containers also. Drainage for container plants is the most important issue for success and this info can be applied to growing in clay soil.

I will pass on the fire ants - I knelt in a colony of fire ants one time when I was showing dogs in FL. OUCH - nasty little blister sores all over my lower legs.

I love yellow but the only things I have brought in recently have been sculpted ones.

My goal today - while I am piddlin', I am taking a notebook with me to write down all the small jobs I see that need to be done, that I keep forgetting need to be done. Anyone else have that problem?

Brooke

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Brooke, And I have always thought I was the master piddler!!! I LUV to piddle :) And the older I get, the more I like it. I just don't get enough time for it anymore. It seems I've always got way too much real work to do. But it seems that when the day is done, I think back to why I only got so much work done, and I can remember my little piddling episodes during the day. I'm always busy, mind you, but quite often it was just piddling around :)

And it doesn't help for me to write down all the things that need done, 'cuz I won't pay any attention to what I've written down.

Royce, that TM seedling is purdy. It will hopefully give you lots of ruffles to work with :) I'm not a real big fan of yellow, but do have a lot coming in with new collections that I've bought. Are there any '06 yellows out there that you're just dying to have? I have an extra fan of Country Bumpkin, Cherished Memories, Ledgewood's Citation, Expensive Taste (last year's intro), Candied Popcorn Perfection. Or some pollen off of others that I've only received 1 fan (can you ship pollen safely?).
    Tammy

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

It seems like J. T. Davis is really dominating the yellow breeding lately. Country Bumpkin is a good example of it and a beauty of a flower as well. Thanks for the comment on the seedling but it is mine not Royce's. The two I would consider crossing it with are Inherited Wealth and Lori Goldston. After that I will just have to wait for my seedlings to bloom for other inspiration.

Edward

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Oh gosh..........I'm so sorry Edward - too much piddling & not enough thinking ;)

Nice seedling there.

Tammy

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Edward, nice picture. Is that the bonus plant you received? Good luck on the soil moving. Makes my back hurt to think about it.

Brooke, thanks for the potting media info. I now have it printed. I have also found a couple of other things. Will study all of it and try to do better next year, although this year has not been bad. The worst mistake I made in the gh this year is that something happened to cause many pods to not take or abort in about a 2 to 4 day period. It was right after I had the bad creature infestation. I think I might have inadvertantly sprayed with too strong a solution. It was also very hot. I put up the shade cloth and turned on the water cooling pads and the problem ceased. Lesson learned for next year. It's funny that you mentioned making "to do" lists. When I retired, I thought I was through with those. I find that I still do it, especially in the fall, for projects to be completed over the winter.

Tammy, I don't know if pollen can be shipped. Some people claim it can be shipped. I have had it shipped to me several times with almost zero results. As an experiment, one person even included a frozen water bottle to keep it cool (inside styrofoam). Still did not work. Did not set a single pod and I probably made 30 or so attempts. Regarding yellow, I am not sure how much further I can go with yellow. I don't have real goals, but have been playing "follow the leader". I think the yellow seedling sent to me by a friend, out of HOW BEAUTIFUL HEAVEN MUST BE and a seedling (shown earlier) is close to cutting edge. I also have a seedling from a purchased seed of J T DAVIS and EDGE OF HEAVEN that is excellent, plus a couple of my own that aren't too shabby. The following is an awful picture of the first bloom of a 10 mo. old seedling. I wanted to take a better picture of a better bloom, but was away from home when it bloomed again. Both the pistil and stamens were totally deformed and unusable. However, even this picture shows the ruffling that I want. It probably has at least 1/2" ruffling overall. I hope and believe that next year blooms will be better.

Lest Brooke again accuses me of senility (lol), parents are :
    (SHERRY LANE CARR X FOOLED ME) X (JIM MCKINNEY X SPACECOAST STARBURST)

{{gwi:632281}}

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am not familiar with COUNTRY BUMPKIN, CHERISHED MEMORIES and EXPENSIVE TASTE. Can someone point me to a picture? Thanks.

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

New Bed in progress

{{gwi:632285}}

Country Bumpkin is one of Frank Smith's

{{gwi:632288}}

• highjack
    18 years ago

Tammy are you challenging me to a piddlin' contest? I admit that some things I'm not very good at, like growing iris, but (blushing here) piddlin' is one of my best talents. I do hate to brag, but, I can do this without even trying. I guess I'm just a natural born piddler.

I did walk the garden with a legal pad and wrote down my list of "to do's today. I had a list the length of the page and none of these projects will take me more than 15-20 minutes - I just need to quit piddlin' and do them. Maybe tomorrow since the ground should be dry enough to dig.

Good job Royce, not on the seedling which is very nice, but remembering to give the parentage.

Oh Edward, I see lots of grass that can still be removed for larger beds. Get busy boy, remove that sod and haul that dirt.

Brooke

• mizellie
    18 years ago

Very nice seedling , edward and royce.

Now, we have ramblers and piddlers...I am not a rambler so I must be a piddler. Brooke, I am sure at my age, ( 39 and holding ) that I am a more experience piddler than you so I must be QUEEN of PIDDLE.. A new dl name , I guess....Ellie

• rsts
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think Brooke is right. Looks to me like there is still some grass. Edward, thanks for posting the picture.

Glad I passed Brooke's senility test today. BTW, to those who might think I am nuts for liking the last seedling picture I posted, I will elaborate a little. When I first started hybridizing, a knowledgeable hobbyist hybridizer told me that a hybridizer and a garden enthusiast would often be attracted to different daylilies. That was not logical at the time, but now I agree. I can visualize crossing the above with the deep ruffles, to the seedling from HOW BEAUTIFUL HEAVEN MUST BE. I would be surprised and disappointed if I did not get something nice from that.

Well, I resisted dabbing pollen today and I had some good 'uns blooming, including SHORES OF TIME and VICTORIAN LACE. It was very tempting, but enough already.

I hava a little green lizard in the gh that has been there about a month. Don't know what the poor little guy is eating. If a snake ever gets in there, I will cr ----(oak), or something like that.

I now have a few scapes showing in the garden. I am not expecting much there. Anything nice will be a bonus. I do have a few dip seedlings from a cross of MAGIC LACE and GENTLE SHEPHERD. Maybe I will get a nice dip white.

• Edward_Kimball
    18 years ago

I think my back is sore enough, thank you very much. By the way Royce a Victorian Lace X Shores of Time cross would have been awesome.

Edward

• mlwgardener
    18 years ago

Yeap, Piddling is a learned art. I think having a garden is a prerequisite(if I spelled that right?) to becoming a Master Piddler.

I have 2 snakes that are in my GH and they are welcome to stay because they keep the field rats out. You learn their sounds so you know when one is moving around and believe me, they are alot more afraid of me than I am of them!

I walked around today taking pictures of my Iris that are blooming and making a list of the unnamed ones. I was supposed to take that list and make some tags to go with the pictures with the hope of one day knowing what they are and being able to divide them and put them with another plant within the same colors. Well, it took me 2 hours to download from camera to pc, name the pictures, upload the pictures to "Photobucket" and finally get 2 of them to the "Iris Gallery" It's amazing what I can forget from one season to the next. Now, if I can just do it again tomorrow.

It's been a beautiful day here in NE MS. The temp was around 80 with a slight breeze and tons of glorious sunshine. Now just 3 days ago, the temp was 97 and I thought I would just melt! Our Mississippi Springs are memory makers. You never know when to put up your winter clothes and of course during winter you always have to keep out one pair of shorts for those 80 degree days that pop up out of nowhere.

I'm hoping that out of the 600 or so seedlings that I have growing, I will get a few nice babies this year. Here's hoping that ya'll will have the best of Spring days, Mona

• flower_lover5
    18 years ago

Royce,

Here are hybridizer's pics:

Cherished Memories (Salter '06)
    {{gwi:632291}}

Expensive Taste (Petit '05)
    {{gwi:632295}}

I really don't think these are what you're looking for - the edge isn't wide enough. Country Bumpkin has a wider ruffle on it, but no color for edge/eye like you are looking for. Or are you looking for a more recessive color with the really wide edge?

I wonder if pollen could be shipped with dry ice? I received Omaha Steaks that way one time, and they were still frozen solid when I got them. Of course, I wouldn't have a clue where to purchase dry ice :)

• katlynn719
    18 years ago

Just a few thoughts - piddling is impossible with a legal pad in hand. That's not piddling...that's working.

At 49 and holding, I have advanced to a higher level of piddling. I am now able to combine piddling with swinging. I piddle a little and swing. I get up, piddle a little more and then swing some more. It's my own invention. I call it swiddling - not to be confused with swindling (two entirely different things). I am proud to announce that *I* am the Swiddle Master of the entire civilized world.

And yellow makes me smile. Daffodils, stella, lantana, cassia...I try to keep something yellow blooming in my yard year round, so I can be a smiling swiddler.

Tomorrow my husband is building a new stand for my swing. I had to replace my old swing because I wore it out swiddling so much. I was going to buy the stand to match the swing. But my husband decided he could build a better stand with 6x6's and it would be cheaper as well. It is all treated lumber so it won't rust like the old metal one did. Now, if we can only figure out a way to make it hurricane proof...

I dabbed my very first pollen today - stella x siloam double classic (maybe-it's a flea market find and we think it's SDC) and vice versa. These are the only two daylilies I have blooming right now and I figured it was a fine time to start. If I get a seed pod, I'll be thrilled.

Your seedlings are an inspiration for me. Keep those pics coming!

Enough of my rambling.
    Kathy

• highjack
    17 years ago

Soooooo many wanting my title - sorry ladies, I am at 59 and holding and holding and holding! And truthfully, I'm getting tired. I do need to look into a swing - swiddlin' sounds right up my alley!

Obviously I will NOT be visiting Mona and her gh and I will have to disagree with the statement "they" are more afraid of me than I am of them. Nope, I win that title too!

Brooke

• mlwgardener
    17 years ago

Well "Swiddling" is a new concept to me, a good one! I will be trying this.

As for my buddies in the GH, Brooke, I had to learn to understand them. When we first bought our land it had the burned out shell of a house on it. Being poor, we had to clean this off and reused the wonderful foundation and plumbing that was left. In this process we found well over a hundred snakes that year. My DH and I were about to go into a kind of anxiety that was unknown to man because of our fear of another one being under the next shovel of trash. We probably had 100's of thousands of shovels full of trash, get my point? So being a lover of most of God's creations, I searched the enet and got books about snakes to learn all I could about my local habitat. Now, I'm not afraid of the ones we have, luckily we've only had 1 bad one it the 12 years we've been here, out of all the 100's that we've had. Now, I live with them and not in terror, wasn't easy. I made the transition about 5 years before DH managed it, but now he just calls me when he finds one in his path.

Today is a wonderful day. God has really blessed us with some wonderful Spring days the last few days. I'm headed to the GH to water all my DL babies and look for scapes and look for scapes and look,look,look! Not a be anxious am I!
    Love to you all, Mona

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I had intended to stop dabbing pollen for this year. However, Edward pointed out that VICTORIAN LACE and SHORES OF TIME would be an awesome cross. Who am I to argue with Edward? VL had 2 blooms and SOT had 1 today. Since I was crossing them, figured I might as well do a few more. I think today really finished it though. For the first time this year, I am tired of hybridizing.

Kathy, glad to have a champion swidler join us. Glad you like yellow. I will show one that is blooming today.

Mona, I don't think there are enough books in the world to make me unafraid of and like snakes. 'Course that is aggravated by the fact that I have the nasties. Saw 5 rattlers one year and I guarantee they were different ones. If there is a snake that is more afraid of me than I am of it, it must be in the woods in a quivering heap.

Tammy, I went back and read your earlier post that you might have an extra of LEDGEWOOD CITATION. I don't have much to trade, but would love to have that. I read the description and it was said to have a maiden bloom of 9" and then settle in at 6 1/2 to 7 inches. That is gigantic for a wide daylily.

BTW, I am not trying to put eyes/edges on the yellows, just trying for large ruffles. That is why I don't know what to do with yellows. Since some already have 1" ruffles, how much more can one do without getting tacky? Perhaps trying for and eye/edge might not be a bad idea. Dunno

I ordered ADAMAS from Memory Jordan. Would have ordered LAVENDER HEARTTHROB, but she was sold out. They were $35 each and I have read good things about her daylilies.

The following is a yellow that is blooming today. It is from a bought seed, with parents:

EDGE OF HEAVEN X J T DAVIS
    {{gwi:632298}}

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Swiddling, hmmm? I don't have a bench swing, and I am NOT going to injure my dignity by trying to play on my kids' disc swing, so I guess I can't truly "swiddle" with the best of you. But, I KNOW I went into PIDDLING withdrawal over the past week during a short family "vacation" (which, as usual, wasn't as relaxing for Mom as it was for Dad and the kids, for some strange reason). I enjoyed looking at other people's gardens, all the while wondering what my own was doing in my absence.

But tonight, blessed relief: I GOT TO PIDDLE!! I planted out my handful of daylily seedlings - four I started indoors over the winter, and three that just sprouted from winter-sowing. I checked up on my sprouting clematis, and prodded them toward their supports or gave them a bamboo stake to climb into a friendly shrub. I added more gravel to my new path (my 7 1/2 year old helped - the advent of HELPFULNESS and WORK ETHIC is marvelous to behold). I pulled invasive grass and a few weeds around the borders. I went walkabout and checked all the hosta starting to peek up - I need to get more to add to my new shade garden, so I'll need to give away some of the plain jane "Fragrant Honeybells" and get some different varieties to try. I checked up on the irises (NICE fans this year, I hope I get really good bloom) and the daylilies (I don't think I lost any this winter, but some of the name tags are AWOL, so I'll have to go dig up the old receipts and try to match names and faces when they bloom). Piddle, piddle, piddle - it was SO relaxing.

I'm curious now - I might have to buy some DL seed on the auction to play with later this year. There's NO WAY I can afford to try all the latest/greatest varieties in my own yard, but I could surely swing a small batch of something special, just for fun. I'll have to do my research and see what I'd like to try. . . .

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

That is a lovely seedling. I hope at least one of my bought seeds turns out that nice.

Edward

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

You know - I've been wondering about the whole buying seeds thing. If it takes many, many "dogs" to go through to finally get a keeper seedling, then what happens if you only buy, say 5 or 6 seeds from a cross? Tell me about your experience - how often do you you get a keeper out of 5-6 (or so) seeds - even when they come from crosses of great parents? I haven't bought any seeds yet because I've been mulling this whole thing over in my mind.
    Of course, I plan on making MANY crosses this year myself - mostly with newer intros and the seedlings I've received from Maddox, since I am "seedling-poor" as far as having my own seedlings to work with. Actually, I guess it would be more like seedling-destitute since I have none of my own :)

I actually played around a little today just to try & get the hang of it. 'Dark Wonder' bloomed a week or so ago, so I collected the pollen & popped it in the freezer. Today 'Enticing Elegance' bloomed, so I dabbed it with the DW pollen. These are the only 2 blooms I've had so far, so what the hay? Gotta get some practice in somewhere!!!

Royce, they also say LC has a 1" wide ruffle. It really does sound like something you could work with. I received 2 fans, so yes you can have one. I received it almost a month ago (3/29), separated and potted it up - do you think that's long enough for recovery before shipping it out again? Would it be wise to check the roots to see if there has been new growth first? If we're gonna do this, it should be soon, as a few of theirs are already sending up scapes for me. Wouldn't want you to miss out on any of the bloom!!
    Hey - throw a couple nice seedlings my way or whatever (if you have any to spare)

Tammy

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Oops - my dabbing went on 'Essence of Royalty', not Enticing Elegance.............

• highjack
    17 years ago

I'm with Royce on the snake thing - sorry, when your heart rate escalates, you break out in a cold sweat, this is fear. If I ever got bit by a snake, even a garter snake, I would have a heart attack and drop dead. If I ever even saw a poisonous snake, same result. My husband used to relocate snakes but now has to present me with the bodies to calm me. Have you ever walked out your front door (I live in a field stone house) and had a 6' long black snake crawling up the side of your house? Or found a snake skin 7 1/2' long lodged between the fence and house where they shed their skin? The snakes on my property have my permission to live and thrive outside the fence line during the day but at night, they have free rain to travel in the garden because I promise to not go out after dark.

Laurel you have part of piddlin' down perfect but hauling gravel to your paths falls into the category of hard work, at least to me. Major weed pulling also is work. When you piddle, you can reach out and pull a lone weed in a bed, put a clematis vine back into the vining position, plan changes in a shade bed, that's piddlin'. Since you are much younger than I am, I do give lessons on piddlin', for free.

Tammy you won't get real "dogs" dabbing the latest, greatest and prettiest blooms around. Getting a keeper seedling will depend on your goals. Eventually you can weed out the keepers with performance, bud count, etc. The hard part comes when you have lots of seedlings, all very similar but you can't keep them all. Here is a seedling that was given every chance to live - after three years in one location, it had 6 buds on it. With bud count that minimal, I couldn't even give it away to a friend. {{gwi:632302}}

Yesterday wasn't a piddlin' day but on the upside, I did get several things off my to do list that I made the other day while piddlin'. My words of wisdom regarding piddlin' - you never work up a sweat while piddlin'.

I guess I've rambled enough this a.m.

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

The new bed is all finished except the rock border.

{{gwi:632306}}

Brooke, I like that seedling even better than Royce's. Don't tell him cuz he might get jealous.

The far bed is my seedling bed. I just need to wait for it to warm up enough to put them out.

{{gwi:632308}}

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Piddling is when you're walking around your place, seeing what's growing, is about to bloom, making decisions about what new ideas you might want to try, sitting on a swing or fishing. Working is what makes you sweat, get out of bed sore in the morning and ready to sleep at night.

Yesterday was spent digging several orders to ship and digging several of those huge bushel sized clumps to get ready for our local garden fair this weekend. While digging all these plants we were turning up those really nice, fat earthworms that were enjoying the last years foliage and early spring moisture. It started to occur to me that maybe I was putting priorities in the wrong place by spending a pleasant Sunday afternoon/evening digging and wearing myself out instead of using those perfectly good worms to do what God gave them to us for. Fishing. Decided it was time we worked a little less and "piddled" Sent my daughter to the house to get something to put worms in and started collecting.

My daughter was estatic. Funny how 11 year olds never seem to run out of energy. We went home, got all the cows fed and were heading for the pond by 7:30. Even the young man that helps my husband was up for fishing last night. That was after he and my son spent most of the day in a water line ditch laying pipe and shoveling rock. My son wasn't too estatic but funny, after the other young man caught about a 2 lb. bass using a cane pole, the race was on and all tiredness seemed to dissapear on his part. We all caught bluegill and my son caught another bass about the same size as the first. While I wasn't in the mood to clean fish, so we turned the bass back to the pond, the kids had a ball and it was enjoyable to just sit and "piddle"

Janet

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Brooke,

Yes, I guess sweating and piddling are incompatible. I'll remember that, O Great and Wise Piddling Guru!

Laurel (who has had to forego piddling to do laundry and clean house today)

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tammy, I have sent you an email. Regarding your question on keepers, I think Brooke gave an excellent answer. I think out of 2,000 seedlings, I will keep only 1 and , at most, 2 percent for future hybridizing. Most others are nice garden flowers and prior to getting rust, I gave away seedlings by the pickup load to friends and friends of friends, who were glad to get them. I have bought seeds only one year and most will bloom this year for the first time. As an example of what might happen  I bought about 20 seeds of JIM MCKINNEY X J T DAVIS and a few of EDGE OF HEAVEN X J T DAVIS. One from each batch bloomed last year and I liked them well enough to put them in the gh. On second year bloom, the EOH/JTD is superior and I will not keep the JM/JTD. The JM/JTD is fairly nice but not as nice as the other, so EOH/JTD will be the keeper.

Brooke, the low bud count on your seedling is a shame. It is beautiful. Edward, I don't mind you liking Brooke's seedling best. At least you complimented mine. That's good enough. Lol Oh, and congratulations on the good job on your yard. Low bud count is something I am now watching more closely. When I first started hybridizing, I was told to get other things right first, then worry about getting a nice bloom. Of course, I didn't. After all, who cares if a daylily has lots of blooms if all of them are ugly. Anyway, I am now paying more attention to other things.

Hey Janet, welcome to another good piddler. It's funny about your mention of your 11 year old's energy. I remember when I was young (honest I do), I found it amazing that people got tired doing enjoyable things. Tired from work  yes, from play  no.

I took one of those list making walks this afternoon. My understanding is, that walking and making the list still qualifies as piddling. It's only when you do the things on the list that it becomes work. I only piddled!

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Lets have a piddlers convention. We can all compare our piddlings and see what we can do to improve piddling. I think we all have the right idea and sometimes, piddling is so nice.,,,,Ellie PS...

Brooke, I really like your seedling. Too bad about the bud count...

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Edward, I think you seedling bed is going to be beautiful when it's full of flowers. The new bed looks nice and once it's filled out it will really be drop dead gorgeous. I have to agree with royce and brooke though, you have way to much grass...lots of room for dls there...Ellie

• laurelin
    17 years ago

As I've told my husband, grass is optional. Every year we lose more turf and gain more space for important stuff. I'm finally finishing a raised bed, part of which is for my DL seedlings. Hooray! Now if I can just borrow my sister's digital camera, I could share some pictures for fun.

My kids don't seem to mind the incredible vanishing lawn. I've kept a nice space in the back yard for them, and built some playground stuff for them, and their sled hill is intact (they can sled over the annuals bed in the winter with no harm done to anything). Someday the front yard may vanish entirely, though.

Laurel

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Now that's what I'm talking about. Away with the turf..who wants to mow anyway. Except maybe a few non gardeners and my dh......Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Janet knows piddlin' but she works so hard, she is starting her piddlin' rather late in the day - Royce has the idea - it is acceptable to write a list while piddlin' but doing anything on the list is work! Laurel's piddlin' time will improve when she gets older - children don't leave much time to piddle but once they are on their own, you get more piddlin' time. I would love a piddlin' convention - I am the queen of piddlin' but sure would be happy to add suggestions from everyone else.

The seedlings I hate are the first year bloomers that look really nice and during the second season of bloom you go huh? Why did I dig and move that one. Foolishly, I used that seedling that got composted in hybridizing, not just one year but two years and should bloom the first results this year. I believed that old wives tale about the budcount improving with age. Mine didn't. Now if I was a good girl and someone was watching over me, I will have used the composted seedling to something that produces great budcount. Time will tell.

For anyone interested, I accomplished all the things on my piddlin' list. It took me all day Sunday, half of Monday and wrapped it up yesterday in 1/2 hour. Lest you think I have free time now, the only things left are the projects which I don't need to put on a list, they just stare me in the face.

Brooke

Almost forgot - Royce has the nutsedge popped up at your place? Hubby is spraying the Basagran T/O today in the seedlings left in the field. The areas that are bare of seedlings now and where the RU was used, appears to be free right now. Death to nutsedge and getting rid of it is NOT piddlin'!

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Oh yeah, young children and piddling don't work too well together, although mine are getting better about letting me piddle. And, they're even well trained to NOT step in the flower beds or pick things without asking. But now they want a puppy - maybe next year, so I can nerve myself up for the training marathon, and the inevitable "garden issues" the puppy will have.

We had our cold snap last night, but I don't think we had any frost. Just in case, I covered my daylily seedlings, but they look just fine this morning. I did notice another DL plant yesterday with yellowy streaks on its leaves and some nibbled places toward the bottoms of some leaves. It doesn't look like slug damage, but I can't see any other culprits. Any ideas? It has been VERY VERY wet here for the past week or so, and cool.

Laurel

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath