Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numama

greenhouse is done!

numama
17 years ago

Hello all,

Was bragging last fall about getting the greenhouse done. Well it took all winter, but my sister, Connie and I FINALLY FINISHED IT first week of March. We spent our spare days in her husbands huge shop putting together our 8 ft. x 16 ft. Rion Greenhouse Kit.

Her husband, Ron did the foundation for us.

Here are the progress pics I promised to share. We are SO PROUD OF OURSELVES....LOL!

Nancy

The old greenhouse was tore down so there was a huge cement slab left behind in order to put the new foundation.

{{gwi:632364}}

{{gwi:632365}}

Had to use the WORTHLESS WEED BLOCKING STUFF SOMEWHERE!

{{gwi:632366}}

GRAVEL FLOOR

{{gwi:632368}}

{{gwi:632370}}

With the foundation done, time to begin assembly in the shop since this was a spare time project. Some days were just too cold to be out there on that cement floor.

{{gwi:632371}}

{{gwi:632372}}

{{gwi:632373}}

{{gwi:632375}}

With much screaming and stomping over winter, we FINALLY had all elements ready to carrry outside on a nice day.

The sideposts snapped into place, then in with the panels

{{gwi:632377}}

DID YA'LL NOTICE MY SISTERS DOING THE WORK while I took the pics? LOL!

{{gwi:632380}}

{{gwi:632381}}

With the above now completed, time to add the roof which had to be carried by six adults...well I actually did have to help carry the roof and to line it up with the foundation side posts...what a chore that was!

{{gwi:632383}}

Time to hang the doors

{{gwi:632385}}

WELCOME

{{gwi:632387}}

COMPLETED

{{gwi:632388}}

Did not take long for us to get things going on in the greenhouse! Started planting seeds then when winter FREAKILY RETURNED had to house all my new arrivals I'd been receiving.

{{gwi:632389}}

{{gwi:632390}}

{{gwi:632391}}

{{gwi:632392}}

We released 1500 ladybugs in the greenhouse 4-10-07. They sure take care of the aphids quickly!

{{gwi:632393}}

Comments (16)

• jean_ar
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, nancy, that is one fancy greenhouse.Are you going to put heat in it for next winter?I know you must be very proud of it and all the work was well worth it.Don't take long to fill them up either,then need a bigger one.Congratulations on your new greenhouse.

Jean

• highjack
    17 years ago

Nancy congrats on the greenhouse. They are not easy to assemble and it is a lot of hard work. Have you read any of the threads on the GW greenhouse forum? Lots of good suggestions there, some funny stories, some horror stories but all entertaining and helpful.

Brooke

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Nancy, that thing looks almost full already! What a great job, and how nice that you had good help, too. I can't even get a tray of planted seeds to germinate. Do you think I just really need a greenhouse? :o)

Chris

• numama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jean,
    We will have heat in place for next winter. My sister's husband will have to do that for us. They own the rights to a natural gas well so they get natural gas free of charge! The greenhouse sits right next to the well so we shall have free water once they get a pump put onto the well. For now we are using the hose for water.
    Brooke, I have not checked that out, but will now. I've read about the progress on your greenhouse and it sounds like it will be very grand! I can hardly wait to see your pictures.
    Chris, the greenhouse was originally planned just so we could start seeds during winter and then plant them out come spring. With this stupid COLD WEATHER BACK it has saved lots of my new arrivals! I've had MUCH BETTER LUCK starting seeds in the greenhouse because I don't have to worry about spring rains washing the seed away as happened last year. Can hardly wait for it to warm up to get all the seedlings planted outside in the seedling bed!
    Nancy

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Wow...what a project Nancy...looks really great too. I've about convinced my DH that I need a GH too. :) After telling him about selling my seedlings on the LA, he was impressed and asked me what I needed to really get my business going...of course I told him a greenhouse....lol
    Good luck with yours, and I hope you don't have any more disastrous losses like you suffered this past winter.
    Jan

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

I just had to hurry right over here and see the pics! Wow! That is so neat! Good for you! I know those new arrivals appreciated it...you should see mine...lol (not happy!)!

It looks similar to one my neighbor has and he loves it. He's into the orchid/tropical thing...but I like yours with daylilies better...lol! I think he has shelves running down the sides.

Congrats and happy growing! I'm so excited for you!

• numama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all for sharing in my excitement! So much I will have to learn!
    We do plan on adding shelves, just don't know what kind at the moment. Got lots of reading up I will have to do. Will keep you all updated as time permits. Busy season coming up!
    Nancy

• ladylovingdove
    17 years ago

Nancy,, where did you get the ladybugs? I ordered some thru the mail twice only to have 95% arrive dead. Going to give up on that vendor. Congrats on the grren house, it looks great.

Dot

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Nancy, I am plum happy for you. Connie did a great job!!! LOL!! I know you had to work at it for no one woman could do it alone. Well, maybe she could but it would be awfully hard. The dls look great. My knew ones look like fried green tomatoes. Anyway, congrats...Ellie

• freespirit928
    17 years ago

Hello everyone, this is Connie, one of the sisters that is working on the greenhouse in Nancy's pic where she wonders if everyone notices that we are doing the work while she is taking the pictures...I have this to say...Nancy took ALOT of pictures! I do have to give some credit where credit is due...she did help carry the roof! I have included a picture myself...this is Nancy helping with the greenhouse!

Just kidding sis, LOVE YA!

p.s. she did help quite a bit but we don't want to tell her that!

The lady bugs were purchased on ebay..hirtsgardens I think was the seller. The lady bugs were AWESOME, I would recommend that seller to anyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:632363}}

• numama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now folks how could you not love a sister like Connie? Always giving credit when credit is due!
    Seriously, my sis is the most witty person I know and cracks me up all the time....LOVE YA SIS....THANKS FOR THE LAUGH!
    Nancy

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Connie, I remember that pool and thought Nancy may have kept the water tested. She was just looking out for you, I know. Enjoyed the pic. We should hear more from you as we know you keep the other one straightened out (Nancy )..
    Just kidding Nancy...Anyway, Welcome to the GW, Connie and I am hoping you and Nancy can come by here on Meca. Bring the greenhouse with you..Hehehe!!!...Ellie

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Nancy, thanks for sharing the pics. It was very interesting watching the step-by-step process. I've spent the last 30 minutes at the Rion Greenhouse website...just looking. I never knew there were so many kits!
    Kathy

• wishnforspring
    17 years ago

I am jealous! I have had mine up going on 3 yrs. now and am finally getting benches put in!
    Next will be the heating system - I am lucky to be able to use the College's greenhouse. BUT.... There's no place like home.
    Congrats and good luck!

• ladylovingdove
    16 years ago

My ladybugs arrived healthy and spent their time in my garden for about one day then left home. I now have aphids again, I really think the heavy rains swept them away not the ladybugs. I will now buy some insecticidal soap and not waste my hard earned money again on ladybugs.

Nice job on the greenhouse ladies!!!

Dot

• justplaindon
    16 years ago

I am expecting my Rion 8 x 24 greenhouse in a couple of weeks. I'd love to hear any post-construction insights about what you (or anyone else for that matter) might have done differently.

L8r,
    Don