Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

Daylily seedling blooming today

rsts
17 years ago

The following seedling is blooming today. I think it is interesting, considering the parents. I am showing the parents and the seedling.

SEMINOLE WIND

{{gwi:632621}}

MORT'S MASTERPIECE

{{gwi:632622}}

SEW X MM

{{gwi:632623}}

Comments (13)

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Very nice...that baby is prettier than the parents! BTW, I am a proud pod parent. You would probably laugh at some of my dl's, they are so loaded down. Now, if I can just get some seeds out of them. You don't think they could all be empty imposters, do you?

Royce, do you have Pearl Harbor? Anyone? I've been thinking of buying that one, but would like to see some more pics before I decide.
    Kathy

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Kathy. Some of my daylilies are also loaded down with pods, so don't think I could laugh at yours. I expect you will get some nice seeds.

I do not have Pearl Harbor. I have never seen it, but think it is nice. I think Brooke has/had it. Even though she calls me Mud, she has good taste in daylilies. Well, at least sorta good taste. She doesn't much care for eyes and likes some of the skinny ones. Otherwise, she has good taste in daylilies.

• highjack
    17 years ago

Mud you are at it again and keep earning yourself the continuation of the current name.

Kathy here is a pic of a PEARL HARBOR seedling {{gwi:632624}} Why you ask am I showing a seedling? Because I don't have a pic of PH. The form and shape are about the same, very light cream in color, beautiful gold edge without being gobby is the best description from my memory. It grows like a weed here. I don't think you would be disappointed if you get it.

Just to prove Mud is wrong, again, I do like this eyed seedling. Boy for a first year seedling, this has lots of promise - love the petal and sepal width and the ruffled edges WITHOUT the additional eye color and gobs of gold, beautiful green throat and the color is outstanding. Who would think the parents would produce a near white.

Brooke

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

VERY nice, Royce.........uh, I mean MUD.
    The results can be quite amazing =)

Kathy, I don't have Pearl Harbor either, but here is a 4 or 5-year old seedling from
    America's Most Wanted X Pearl Harbor
    {{gwi:632625}}

Tammy

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Mud, I detect a barely visible ( orchid, purple or something) edge on your beautiful seedling. I am not to very crazy for eyes but yours is nice and soft looking. She is much prettier than her parents. That usually happens with kids.. I can hardly wait until next year fior her. She might have an edge on her but she is pretty just as she is....Ellie

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Very nice seedling, Royce! I like the watercolor eye, and the nice substance of the petals. Just lovely!

Laurel

• MaxBaerHems
    17 years ago

Here is a pic of my Pearl Harbor...I love it..not the Pic...LOL the plant..It is one of my favorites..

{{gwi:632626}}

Rick

• numama
    17 years ago

I am amazed by your seedling Royce. Who'd ever thought of getting that result considering the parents' colors! Very nice Royce!
    Nancy

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Rick, Tammy and Brooke - you've convinced me. Just bought Pearl Harbor. Thanks for the pics and additional info!
    Kathy

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Royce -- I love the seedling! I can see the faint lavender edge Ellie was talking about, and the pale eye is beautiful.

Definitely a keeper.

• riverratspaz
    17 years ago

That is a beautiful white Royce what are the stats on that one?
    Id be interested?
    G

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the additional comments. Gerard, the stats are pitiful and I did not even get them. Just guessing from inside the house, they are probably: Branching of 1, 6 buds, 10" scape and a 5" to 5 1/2" bloom. It is a first year bloom, on a puny plant and will probably get better. How much better is another question.

The main reason I showed the picture was that I thought it was a somewhat different bloom and an interesting result from the two parents. It also ties into my breeding pink and lavender to get white. While neither of the parents are lavender, it does show the possibility. BTW, the result was not a fluke, as several others from that cross have somewhat similar coloring, but not quite as white. In truth, it was not a planned result. At the time, I was not trying to get anything in particular. Was just crossing this and that to see what I got.

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Well. who'd a thunk it. She sure is pretty....Ellie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting