Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizellie_gw

Windy here!!

mizellie
17 years ago

I woke to a surprise this morning. It was a good thing I wasn't awake when it happened, I would have been terrified.

I told my dh that God was clearing some trees for sunny dls spots.. Take a look....Ellie

{{gwi:632632}}

{{gwi:632634}}

{{gwi:632636}}

There are two trees involved an neither one of them are small....

Comments (8)

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh, Ellie!!!! I hope those trees didn't hit any buildings, cars or flower beds. Looks like somebody has their work cut out for them. But at least you're looking on the bright side - less shade, more daylily room :)

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep. If it had hit something, the insurance would cover it but as it is, they won't. You know how insurance co. are especially State Farm. I am definitly gonna change co's when it is due this fall..

I have a pic of a pretty red maple that the morning sun was hitting.. Take a look. Ellie

{{gwi:632637}}

Brooke, here is a pic of the seedling from Green Piecrust. If I had stood back farther, you would have to look at a pic. with lots of oak debris. The leaves are about 8 or 9 inches across....Ellie

{{gwi:632638}}

• highjack
    17 years ago

Windy here too Ellie and cold. It is supposed to be that way for the next few days. Thankfully, not as windy as your place.

Love the hosta seedling and can see the GPC influence. Right now all my hosta are covered with old tree blooms of all type. Too cold to hose them off, they can stay that way for a while.

Your red maple must be related to my old Japanese maple. Here is the close up of the JM with the seed on the tree - the blooms are laying on the hosta. {{gwi:632639}}

In trying to give perspective to the size of this old tree, I raised the camera to the sky and shot a picture straight up. I am 5'3" tall so you can tell this tree is about 30' tall. It was maybe, 6 or 7' when I moved here.

{{gwi:632640}}

It's best friend, a green JM was the same height when we moved here but it got hit by a big ice storm 3-4 years ago and is only about half the size now. Hubby wanted to take it out but I won't let him. The tree is surviving and can continue to live as long as it wants.

Crack out the chain saw Ellie - do you have a fireplace?

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

Yikes!!! Tuff way to get a sunny spot. lol Glad you suffered no damage other than the trees.

The weather is beautiful here. I cannot remember an early/mid May this nice. It is cool (70s), a little breeze, cloudy some days, rains 2 or 3 days and VERY IMPORTANTLY no mosquitoes. I am expecting them most any day, now that we have finally had some rain.

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, there was too much shade in the back yard anyway. Not any more though.

I didn't get a chance to get a closeup of the Japanese maple, brooke. maybe tomorrow. It is still a small tree, ( 8 or 9 ft.) but can hardely wait for it to grow up.

There is losts of debris in the back yard but how strange is it that when that tree fell it missed a shed ( needs to come down ) the barn, one of my pink dogwoods and our Tank commercial lawn mower. It ( they ) could have hit any or all of these things. Reckon God was in control of things??? I can build a flower bed in the middle of the back yard as soon as I finish the 2 small and 1 large one in the front. Lol..Got my work cut out for me....Ellie

• numama
    17 years ago

OH MY! These pics are much clearer than the one you sent me! I sure am GLAD God had things under control....no doubt! So who gets to run the chainsaw? Connie and I saw what appeared to be some tornado damage on our trip home in southwest Arkansas...A HUGE tree had fallen right through the middle of a house that I hope and pray nobody was in when it happened. I hear the weather was pretty severe in Arkansas while we were gone.
    Nancy

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BTW, we measured the tree ( oak ) at the base of the trunk. Nine and a half feet around.. Still cutting up limbs. Haven't even started the trunk. Need firewood???? Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Ellie you need to invest in a woodburning furnace - you have a two year supply from that one tree!

Brooke