Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numama

what a trip!

numama
17 years ago

Hello ya'll! I've been reading as much as I can about what is going on but those darn people at the computer place are giving me the run around!

I was supposed to of had my computer back 2 weeks ago Wednesday. I called yesterday and they are still waiting for my hard drive to come in which they had to order. AAARGH!

Since I have this spare moment here at work today....just wanted to let you all know Ellie made it to my place! I gave her many choices of which to choose but since she could not decide....I let her take all of them!....35 plus some smaller fans I did not count. Now Ellie owes me! I may have to wait a couple years or so to get the ones I want badly like Mag. Hummingbird, Grandma's Smile, BBP just to name a few. She also got some wildflowers and a TB Iris.

I have so many scapes on my new arrivals! Hopefully will see some kind of bloom soon! Was checking my gardens this morning as we are having this never ending rainfall...Party Popper has a scape starting so I have a feeling I'll be seeing scapes on my established plants soon!

Better get some work done now! I'll check back Sunday or Monday...we might be heading to Jack Carpenter's garden this weekend instead of the end of May!

Nancy

Comments (31)

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Sounds like a great time, Nancy. Next time I'm coming, too! I'm trying to keep up with all the new arrivals. I was planning to have one large box arrive yesterday -- got home and there were 8! I'm off to plant what I couldn't get done yesterday.

Get that computer fixed -- we miss you.

P.S. What can you possibly be buying at Carpenters'? Don't you own them all already? :o)
    Chris

• numama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chris, you come on....the more the merrier! I have a couple set aside for you so far....I don't think Ellie saw them, she saw Jan's Florida Snow Angel tho....had to tell her it was for Jan tho. LOL!
    Chris, you KNOW I do not own ALL the Carpenter cultivars as you have one I want....PLEASE SAY YES
    My sister, Connie and I are leaving Monday for Jack Carpenter's lily farm. I am hoping to snatch up some to die for seedlings while there. I will take pictures and post as soon as I can. We will come home Wednesday night.
    Take care,
    Nancy

• mizellie
    17 years ago

We really had a good time on our trip. I did see all the good stuff Nancy had hidden but figured if she wanted to trade them, she would let me know. We went into Nancy's woods and brought some of her rocks home. ( Ticks too ). I was picking ticks when I pulled to my back door. Course Nancy didn't realize that they ( ticks ) were attracted to us.. nancy and Connie took us out to eat. ( chinese) very good. All in all we had a great trip. We went to Eureaka Springs in Ar. loved it. My sis and I both bought a wind chime. If you are curious as what we look like...take a gander at this. L to R. Ellie, nancy, Hellen. ( my sis)... good to be home though.....Ellie

{{gwi:632872}}

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting the pic, Ellie. It is so good to put faces to the names!!!
    Glad you all had a good time :)
    Hope you got rid of the ticks..........ack!!!

Nancy........get that computer fixed, gal!!!!!

Tammy

• highjack
    17 years ago

What a fun trip and glad you are home enjoying all your newly acquired treasures. Did a MAGNIFICENT HUMMINGBIRD bloom await you on your return? When is your trip to see your daughter in KY and your visit to my place?

Brooke - (note to self - find make up and something besides cut off's for visit - another note to self - go shopping, Ellie has a camera)

• numama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ellie,
    Game Theory bloomed the day after you left. Bloom doesn't look anything like it's pic! Will have to contact seller to make sure they did not ship me the wrong plant! Want to see a pic of MH!
    Tammy, hope to have my computer back when I get back from Jack Carpenter's garden!
    Brooke, NOT FAIR....I assumed Ellie was coming in gardening gear! I was already sweating in the garden when she arrived....had myself locked out of my house too! Luckily I wasn't covered in dirt! But I had NO MAKEUP on whatsoever! Doesn't work for me here in this hot, humid weather we are already having! You are not implying I should have gone shopping right? LOL!
    Nancy

• rsts
    17 years ago

Nancy, you are indeed getting the run around about your computer. I am not a computer person, but can order a hard drive and have it within a couple of days.

Now, I guess Ellie is going to claim she always dresses like that when she gardens. Yeah - sure!!! If she ever comes to my place, she can come any way she likes, but I ain't puttin on no makeup, no matter whut.

• mizellie
    17 years ago

royce, you tickle me..I had on a denium like shirt and blue jeans cause we knew we were going to the woods. LOL.. I never smile when I take a pic cause then you REALLY can see the wrinkles. How did you like my BLOND hair. I was blond as a kid, then dark brown , then back to blond...( Don't I wish?)

Brooke, MH wasn't blooming when I got back. It still has a scape but looks like it may be drying up.. I probably will cut it off and wait for re-bloom. I do have lots of scapes on the newly purchased ones.

BBP has a nice scape on her too!! That's what royce wants to see.

I had a hard drive put in my old pc for the G. Kids and it took a long time...Like 2 days. Numama, find someone else to work on your pc.

I'll have some pics in a day or two.

Flower_Lover,, I got rid of all the ticks and we ( my sister and her dh ) spent the day climbing down in Little River Canyon, today. About 4 hrs, down then up.. I am so sore. Gotta go now, ya'll have a good evening....IT'S GOOD TO BE HOME NOW!!!!! Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Nancy your description of appropriate garden wear is exactly how I garden but if Ellie takes pics, I need help! Remember, I wore make up in March when I judged a dog show and I haven't seen it since then. I know it is around here somewhere, just have to find it. My idea of a good outfit is the cut offs where I trimmed the long tag thingees off the bottoms before company arrives and a tee shirt that isn't mud stained.

tet CONNIE BURTON bloomed yesterday and the pollen resides in my freezer. It was an EMO even in the cool weather and the petals and ruffles are gorgeous. Hope she likes cavorting with some of my seedlings.

I only have two scapes in the garden - one of SDO and the other on OLIVE BAILEY LANGDON, which I know is a rebloom from last fall. I have checked all the seedlings but cannot find any there either. They should start in another 10 days or so.

If the drizzle continues today, I have two house dogs that need to meet the clippers, soap and water and a pair of scissors. They are the greatest dogs, they always volunteer to let me delay their grooming so I can play in the dirt.

Brooke

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Brooke, I don't know about ky, but it is raining here. Rained all of last night and is about to open again. My sis and her dh left today for Fl. It is supposed to be dry once they get out of Al.

I do wear a little makeup on occasion.. To fill in the ditches in my face. But I NEVER dress up when I go to the woods...

I got the cutest pic yesterday before we left for the Canyon. My sis wanted to do some weeding ( she missed it from home. ) She had my hoe and was working away when a little butterfly lit on her butt. After 2 or 3 minutes, I decided to take a picture so I came into the house , got my camera, ( had to put batteries in it ) and went back out side where that Butterfly was STILL on her backside. I got one shot and it flew away..

I am going to post a picture of the climb back to the top of the canyon and one of the little river....Enjoy..Ellie

{{gwi:632874}}

{{gwi:632876}}

{{gwi:632877}}

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Such great pictures!!! It's so nice to see everyone!!

Love the butt pic! That is priceless!

Hey Nancy...you gotta get Connie Can't Have It...right??!

• numama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOVE THE PICS ELLIE! Helen MUST LOVE you!
    Katie,
    How'd you know I've been wanting that one?
    Nancy

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

What a great looking group of women! Glad to hear you had a good time, but now I have the heebie-jeebies about all those ticks. It's getting to be that season up here . . .

Let's see some photos of MH and all the other new acquisitions.

Nancy, Please Say Yes hasn't arrived yet, but I have the other 3 or 4 cultivars for you. Do you have Blue Eyed Curls? I only bid on 2 fans and I think I got 6.

Chris

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Brooke, I forgot to mention to you that I have to hose off before I go inside after working in the garden.. If you keep looking, you will find where you put your makeup..Hehehe!!!

I didn't have anything on except my clothes ( good thing ) and some bug spray when I went to the Canyon..SO THERE!!!!

Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Love the pics and it looks like you had great fun.

We had drizzle, sprinkles all day so I did find the make up yesterday but help me here - you know the bottle with the goo in it - isn't the goo supposed to run out of it? I had to dislodge the stuff with a knife. Do you think it is still OK to apply it with a spatula?

Brooke - (note to self - buy clothes that flatter the posterior, Ellie takes pics of not my best feature) (addendum to note - in spare time, search for your best feature)

• rsts
    17 years ago

Nancy, this might be late, but hope you have a great time at Carpenter's place and am sure you will. Would love to go there, but too fer for me.

Ellie, very funny picture. Ellie and Brooke, funny comments. I can see one has to be careful around Ellie and her camera. Brooke, if you can't decide on a best feature, features can be realigned with a STUPID wheelbarrow and landscape timbers. I now have a somewhat circular design on my forehead. Interesting feature!!

Royce

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Brooke & royce. I about laughed until I cried. You are both so funny and imaginative. So royce, you have a dls bed on your face and brooke is spreading makeup with a spatula. Brooke, I think if it's that hard to dislodge, you may need a concrete trowell. A spatula won't be strong enough.

So brooke, what direction do I go in July when I am up that way?.. I might not be able to visit if it's to far out of the way. We are going to another daughter's house the first week of July. .....Ellie

• MaxBaerHems
    17 years ago

Well I'll be.........
    Now I know why they call them .....BUTTerflies!
    Learn sumpin new everyday!

Rick

• highjack
    17 years ago

I love this forum because I learn so much - I didn't know where butt-erflies got their names!

As I have stated in the past, I'm not much of a make up person and would never have thought of using the concrete trowel to apply the goo. Hope my husband doesn't need it in July.

Ellie you can spit on my house from I-75 - in the winter you can see the house but the trees hide it in the summer. Now I don't want to be pushy but you have to let me know if you are going to stop and have a look see. I must be prepared with the trowel and my new outfit. If I don't have to buy the new outfit, I can buy another plant.

As I was working yesterday, I pondered the outfit/best features, etc. Now pondering is not to be confused with piddlin'. Piddlin' is a relaxing, mindless past time. Pondering is actually harder than physical labor because it involves thinking and planning and more thinking. So I pondered this - I now know why that lady on HGTV wears that outfit - the long billowy skirt, the gauzy long sleeved blouse and the big floppy brimmed hat. It HIDES all of her flaws and after pondering on it, that outfit will hide mine too! Now Ellie, just don't expect me to spit out the Latin names on every plant here - sometimes I have a hard time just remembering their call names.

No piddlin' or pondering today, I'm still working on reducing the pot ghetto.

Brooke

• mizellie
    17 years ago

OOps, I must take a picture of the wildflower garden. Not that's there's anything blooming but ALL of the weeds are gone..Hear that Rick..All. I spent all day pulling weeds and only had to kill one copperhead. I was working barehanded until I kill that little bugger so the I opted for a pair of gloves...

I do not expect you to name anything for me Brooke...ONLY ALL.

Did the pot ghetto shrink today? I have approx. 120 daylilies currently in pots.. Trying to get some beds read for them.

I didn't get a picture but I found, get this , 2 different Japanese Iris' blooming today that I didn't even know I had. I thought they were the water Iris'. One is a gorgeous yellow and the other is a fushia purple. I'll get pictures when it stops raining.. We had 7 loads of chert put on the drive today and six have probab;y washed away. That's what happens when you live on a hill on Rocky Top.

Royce, how is your head? Hope there wasn't any permanent damage.

Brooke, I have a new scape on MH and Wild wookie has one as does Brooklyn Twist.

Royce , I have 2 on BBP. I can hardly wait....Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Geesh - cancel my trip to Ellie's if she is killing cooperheads while weeding. You know that beautiful picture you showed up above, with the nice rocky outcroppings and the nice little creek rambling along - my first thought - boy, bet that place is loaded with snakes. Yes, I have a severe phobia!

I hope my new flowing skirt has pockets since I am going to need cheat sheets to spew the Latin names of all plants, shrubs and trees.

My pot ghetto did not shrink yesterday but did get rearranged so it doesn't look so bad. If you cluster the pots all over the property, it doesn't look like you have as many and ARE NOT a plantaholic. When the rain/storms exit the state, I am ready to start placing the pots in the location of their permanent homes.

I am placing some of my hosta seedlings that are in gallon pots in the field with the daylilies in pots. I picked out some of my "not so precious" seedlings and will see if they survive in full sun with lots of moisture. If they fry, oh well, I will have some of their brothers being lovingly tended in the real garden.

Hopefully, in another couple of weeks, the pot ghetto will be almost exclusively trees, waiting to be planted in the fall. The key word here is "hopefully".

OK Ellie - what's chert?

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

Ellie, my head is no longer sore. It is about back to normal (for me), except for a new feature in the shape of the upper half of the end of a landscape timber. BTW, I am very interested in seeing pics of BBP.

Brooke, I am with you on the snake thing. All of them give me the absolute creeps. I even hate to see pics of them. I try to get along with most things in the country, but snakes and armadilloes are exceptions. I don't even bother the rabbits, although they graze the daylilies rather heavily in fall and winter. As long as they don't bother them in spring and summer, I won't get too upset with them.

Had four blooms today. Two are compost. One is near compost, but might be ok for a garden plant. One is a keeper garden plant. None are keepers for hybridizing.

We are having some beautiful growing/working weather. Cloudy and very pleasant temps. Weeds are growing. If only daylilies would follow their example.

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Brooke, is my spelling wrong?? I thought everyone knew what chert is( spelling?) It's a rough dirt mixed with small rock and some gravel..and that was NOT a creek, that was a stream of Little River. The only one in the world that starts and stops on the same mountain. Also, it's safe to drink from it as it's almost completely pure.

Royce, when those two scapes bloom on bbp I will surely post a picture. Hope the head is better soon. With the accidents you have, you should NOT be living alone. Find you a strong healthy person to share your dwelling. AND I think you should not tell us of your dls. that are blooming if you ain't gonna post no picture.

BTW brooke, save me one of your Hosta seedlings. I would love to have something from all my GW friends for my garden. Got royces..

I am gonna start a new thread cause I have 40 pictures to post. Well, not 40 but a lot....Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Nope Ellie, never heard of chirt. I also don't know the difference between a creek and a stream. I was raised in IN and up there, they were all creeks unless they were rivers. Of course they weren't pronounced creeeeeek, it was pronounced crick!

You can have your pick of hosta seedlings - one less pot from the ghetto.

What say we all get our heads together and pick out a house mate for Royce so we can quit worrying about him and his STUPID equipment getting into knock down, drag out fights with no one around to call 911. Particularly since it is always Royce who gets knocked down in the skirmish.

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

Hey, I proposed to a girl once and of course she refused. I asked if there was someone else. She looked at me rather pitifully and said "Surely there must be".

To use a cliche, the wheelbarrow incident "was a wakeup call". I realize I don't have the balance I once had and have been much more careful since then. Even tilled the area where seeds will next be planted, without incident.

BTW, I was not familiar with "chert" either.

Ellie, I didn't post pictures because they were not worthy of posting. I did not even take pictures for myself.

Royce

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Well brooke, I think your spelling is as good as mine so, chirt it is. I didn't know what it was either until I moved to Al. I think it must be an Al thingy and it must be N. Ga too cause I know some folks in N. Ga. that know what Chirt is...You will have to pick the seedling for me cause, YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOIN....Don'tcha?

Glad you got the tilling done without incident Royce. Do you think that'll happen often? Notice that I make up new words as I go. Anyway, that is a good start for you but I still think you need a roomie...Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Ellie I have no idea what I am doing with hosta or daylily seedlings! I obviously have too much time on my hands and need to stay occupied so I tend to stuff. It keeps me off the streets and out of the bars, so that is a good thing.

I'm sooooo sorry Royce that we brought back that awful memory of your proposal to the obviously ignorant woman. I'm quite sure she has lived a miserable life and missed out on a golden opportunity for bliss.

I, for one, was trying not to cause you additional embarassment after your painful rejection, and was trying to be tactfuly in helping you acquire a house mate. I thought house mate was a better term than babysitter. Surely there is an indigent or homeless type person, willing to work for room and board, to keep a watchful eye on you when you and the STUPID equipment are out and about.
    On days when you mope about and don't play with equipment, they could be off duty.

Congrats on running the tiller and not having the tiller run you.

Brooke

• numama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BOY, oh BOY you all have me ripping the ribs right now!...pauses to run to bathroom....okay I'm back! You all are too, too funny! I see I have missed plenty of opportunites to add my wit and I'm just too tired now. My trip to Jack Carpenter's and the return has got me SO FAR BEHIND! At least now I have my computer back and can unwind before going to bed! I will be posting pics soon of my trip in the DL side of the forum. Gotta get my pics off my sister's computer but after the trip, she's been too busy preparing for a pool party and bar-b-que for 50 people this Saturday as her daughter is graduating from Univ. of Arkansas with her masters in elem. education. She has already been hired to teach second grade and we are so very proud of her!
    Ellie, I knew what chirt was! It is also a natural occurence here in Arkansas!
    Royce, I agree with the others...you need someone around while working! Can you cook? LOL!
    Nancy

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Royce, just a little tip...do you remember the travel thread we did? If you do you may also remember that Numama only does instant foods, such as Mac & Cheese, or some kinda pasta. Course she may order out occasionally ( pizza).. However, she does eat Chinese although she doesn't COOK it.

Numama, maybe royce being a single man does know how to cook. Maybe something other than Mac and Cheese.. Good to have you back...Ellie

• numama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Funny reading all the replies again! Wanted to bump up for Marilyn as she requested.
    Nancy

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Nancy, I'm laughing my head off...thanks so much for bringing up the thread for me, I had a great time reading it!!!!
    Marilyn