Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizellie_gw

More pictures.

mizellie
16 years ago

I have a few new blooms here. Some I posted last week that weren't quite bloomed out. The first two are Siberian Iris' that are getting started..

{{gwi:632936}}

{{gwi:632939}}

This is Beverly Sills. I don't know if you can see it or not but there is a lot of damage to the foliage. The next picture is a Iris that I love and I don't know it's name. If you know, tell me please..

{{gwi:632943}}

{{gwi:632946}}

Back to the Rhododenrons. This first one is just getting started. It's a little later than the others. it is one that a friend rooted for me and the one following, is also a rooted one..

{{gwi:632948}}

{{gwi:632951}}

This next one is beside my front porch. I have one on each side but the other is slow to open even though they are the same.. I hope I haven't bored any of you...Ellie

{{gwi:632954}}

I posted this one last week when it was getting started...

Comments (6)

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Very pretty, my mothers favorite flower is irises. I have never had much luck with any of them but the siberian ones. I think that I plant them too deep. I am very excited though yesterday I was browsing around my garden when I noticed an iris with a bud sticking up on it! I almost peed my pants! It has been planted there for two years and Ive only see foliage. In fact I can't even remember what its called. All I remember is that it is a coppery red color. The leaves on this thing are huge they have to be 2.5 inches wide. I don't ever think ive seen iris leaves so big. Sorry for the long story, I am just excited thats all. 2 years is a long time to wait, but I can't wait to see how pretty it is! Oh-yeah, I have a question, do you grow varigated irises, and do they bloom every other year, instead of every year? Had them for two years also and no flowers.(yet!)

• mizellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jkunkel, I have a varigated iris that I have had for about 4 years. It is supposed to have a yellow bloom but I have yet to see it bloom. I think it is more for the foliage than the bloom because the bloom I saw ( picture ) was very ordinary. Hope your is a beautiful purple....Ellie

• highjack
    16 years ago

I have a variegated one that bloomed purple the first year but hasn't bloomed the last three years. I'm going to dig it up and put it in a pond basket and see how it does. In the pond I can at least see the foliage and enjoy it.

Ellie the deutza is really starting to grow. The poor thing got here just in time for the big spring freeze and spent the nights in the building so she wouldn't freeze to death. It got snowed on one afternoon before I could pull it inside and she didn't like it. She also has the honor of being one of the first plants to live in the greenhouse but was very happy to be back outside in the real world.

Brooke

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Brooke, just a suggestion, but I don't think the varigated iris would do well in your pond. I thought iris liked really wet soil, so I planted mine in a moist spot when I first got it. By the middle of the summer all the leaves were shriveling up, and I had to move it to a drier spot. They grow better now, but no flowers, poop! Id hate to see you loose your iris. I also know that they don't like too much sun , they are kind of tender I think. My friend has one that blooms every year for her LUCKY! Don't know what im doing wrong.

• mizellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jkunkel, the variegated one may be different BUT tall bearded iris' are sun flowers. Just like dls, they do better in full sun. Also, they like the dry groud. The only time I have EVER watered an iris is when I first set it in the ground or in extreme dry weather. They seem to thrive on the drought.

Brooke, Don't I feel special to be the first to have a plant in your greenhouse. I lost all of the buds on my deutza and didn't see foliage coming on except on the very bottom. I have to tell you, I gave that baby a haircut that was extreme. Sometimes I prune about a foot and a half to keep it controled but this time I cut off about 4 or 5 feet. Maybe it will grow and start putting buds on for the next years freeze..The Rhodo's are really beautiful right now,....kinda makes up for the blooms I lost. The JM's are coming along except for the Vari butterfly. I just see a few tiny leaves there. Happy gardening...ya'll...Ellie

• highjack
    16 years ago

Of course you're special Ellie - that is just a fact of life. My Deutza is getting the big leaves now and is happy that spring appears to have arrived, finally.

My JM's still are terrible. I have ONE that has replaced it's leaves and the rest still look dead. I looked last night at several of them and a couple are in deep trouble and will need to be pruned very short. I have dormant buds popping down low but the upper branches all appear dead. I snapped a couple of stems from the top growth and there is no green in there. The hydrangea are all sprouting new leaves, the new Redbuds also have new leaves. My old fashioned bleeding heart that melted has regrown about 18" and is going to bloom again.

jkunkel - last year one of the members of this forum posted a picture of their variegated iris planted in their pond. We decided mine wouldn't survive in the pond year round because it would freeze and die. I'm putting it in a pond basket with turface and will set the basket on a shelf in my pond but remove it in the fall and put the basket in the ground to over winter. It isn't doing anything now so hope the wet feet will give it an idea to bloom. To be honest, I am the world's worst iris grower - I grow great foliage but get few blooms. The variegated is the only one I have now and this will be it's last chance. It has been given a do or die command.

Brooke