Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kydaylilylady

Piddlin' at it's best on a Sunday

kydaylilylady
17 years ago

Yes, guilty as charged. Sunday afternoon I forced Brooke to piddle with me. I even did it at her house. Was supposed to get there at 6 o'clock but since it had started to rain at noon at my place and I'm west of her I decided to crash her place early.

Found her out in her garden when I got there with this camera that made my kid's little Canon's look like a VW bug next to a Lincoln Town Car. Everything in her garden looks just as good as the picture she posted not too long ago. Bluebells, or at least I think that's what they were, were blooming, pinks and the dogwood looks great right now. Hostas of every size, shape and hosta color were perched in nooks and crannies. Hypertufa troughs line the sides of one of the beds. They're filled with minature hostas. The daylilies are all lush and a heck of a lot more weed free than mine. There are ferns all intersperced with the hostas and Japanese maples and hydrangeas are everywhere. Soon colors will burst everywhere.

Further down in the garden is last years selected seedlings. Down in the "seedling patch" pots are lined up and Jim had set up a watering system that should save Brooke's back a good bit this summer.

It indeed did start raining at which time we retreated to the sun porch which is probably 10 feet or so above the garden. It gives you a great view of everything and I know it's where she is bound to spend a good bit of piddlin' time in the warm times of the year.

Folks, you all need to remember that this is an AHS display garden. They aren't too far off the two major interstates in KY. If you're in Central KY during bloom season I highly encourage you to stop in and piddle with Brooke. Those seedlings are even better up close and personal.

Janet

Comments (3)

• highjack
    17 years ago

We did have a great visit and so happy you actually took some time to piddle. Too bad the rain didn't cooperate and we could have piddled longer.

Janet must be blind to weeds because I do have them - in fact, I even have one she couldn't ID for me. Rather than just cussing and calling them weeds, Janet actually knows the name of most of them. I have had one weed pop up that is new to me this year. In fact when it first started appearing, it was close to a shasta daisy and the leaves were very similar to it and I thought the thing had reseeded. Since I'm a plant hog, I let some grow and I was going to pot some up for future planting. Nope, stupid thing blooms yellow and even Janet didn't know it. I was proud I actually have discovered another pest that she couldn't ID - I love being on the cutting edge!

I went out to piddle last night but got sidetracked and actually ended up working. I played with more rock. I finally got the rock edging in place for a new bed and the grass is finally dead so I can plant it. Several of the rocks were very large and I had to roll them to their location. My best garden friend, my cat, went every step of the way with me as I rolled them. She was exhausted after her hard work.

I guess we are getting rain today so will have to search for something inside to keep me occupied. I know I won't have to search very hard.

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

Janet, I am a little aware of the type camera Brooke has. It is naturally the top of the line. Probably cost more than all the daylilies I own. Fancy, fancy, fancy.

I did not know Brooke's garden was an AHS display garden. From the pictures and your description, the AHS is better for it. Wish I could visit, but too far for an old country flunky.

Brooke, better watch that getting sidetracked from piddling to working. Be careful and don't let it become a habit.

I have been spraying RU a little off and on. So far, I am very impressed with prior results on the nut sedge. Year before last, I sprayed an area a few times with RU. Last year, I sprayed it and kept all vegetation killed. I planted seeds in the area about a month ago and so far, don't see a single sprig of nut sedge. I am now doing the same thing (started last year) on the area where I will plant seeds collected this year. I have tilled the area and would like to do so again, but it is too dry. It sure makes things easier to do things right the first time. Unfortunately, I have grass and weeds in the seedlings planted recently.

It is still somewhat dry here, but a pleasure to not have many mosquitoes. Guess everything is a trade off. If we get rain, we get mosquitoes.

• highjack
    17 years ago

So Royce can see how I piddled Sunday until Janet showed up, I uploaded these pics.

This is one of the new areas I started last year through an old tree row. You can't plant right under those trees because of the huge roots so I put hosta and a JM in whiskey barrels to utilize good space. I picked woodland type plants to help accent/hide/soften the lines of the barrels and these plants are either tuber type plants or runner producing plants so I didn't need much "dirt" to keep them going. Our "rock pile" is also visible.

{{gwi:632992}} {{gwi:632996}} {{gwi:632998}} {{gwi:633001}} {{gwi:633006}}

Eventually, hosta will be planted in front of the rock pile we made. Making a rock pile look natural, was hard!

Brooke