Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelin_gw

Brooke - remember the hosta seeds?

laurelin
16 years ago

I winter sowed a lot of them, and I have SPROUTS! And a bunch of them are variegated. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your hosta seed with me. I'll be starting a nursery bed area for them this week.

Laurel

Comments (5)

• highjack
    16 years ago

Great Laurel - glad they germinated for you. The variegated ones are actually streaked and normally, will take a year or three to settle into a pattern. It is fun to watch the streaks try to make up their mind if they want to be medio or marginal patterned. I hope you also got some gold, blue and a green one or two.

Don't worry about a nursery bed too soon. They will actually do better in pots for the next few months. Hosta at this age actually take a growth spurt every time their roots are disturbed. You can prick them out of the mix to pot up when they have two or three leaves.

Pics later when they are really up and sassy.

Brooke

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great! It will be fun to watch them develop. I've got streaked and green ones so far; none are obviously blue-toned yet. I'll pot them up when they're ready (which will probably be soon - they're growing well).

Do you overwinter your baby hosta in pots? Overwintering in pots up here is kind of iffy, which is why I'll need a nursery bed for them by late summer/early fall if they're to stay outside. I wonder if they'd grow inside over the winter, but my DH might mutiny at more stuff growing on the windowsills in his music room (the only room with wide sills and lots of sun).

Laurel

• highjack
    16 years ago

Heel the pots in the nursery bed for the winter. Don't take up valuable window space needed for daylily seeds!

Make sure the potting medium is fast draining and the nursery bed has good drainage. Your seedlings will not be very big by the time you would need to put them in the ground and you will probably lose more planting them out than over wintering in the pots. I over wintered some of my later hosta seedlings last year and when I pulled the pots from the bed this spring, the roots were growing into the soil. These were seedlings in 3/4 gal. size pots. I've already planted some of those out and will do the remainder when I have time. The root systems were massive and all plants came up multiple eyes.

The blues will look green in sunlight. Take the container to a shady spot and tip the pot at an angle to see if the waxiness is there. Many times you can see the wax on the bottom of the leaves.

Have fun with them. They provide more instant gratification than the daylilies.

Brooke

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! I've got a good spot to heel them in for the winter, shady and out of the way of the kids etc. I think I'll have to start collecting pots again - my DH cleaned out the car port, and anything not being used was tossed, LOL. I did rescue the few extra large pots I had saved, for moving peonies to the new house next year. Depending on when we move, the hosta might just get to stay in their nursery pots for a while. Good thing they're tough cookies.

Laurel

• highjack
    16 years ago

How are the hosta seedlings doing? Are they big enough for some pics, in your spare time of course!

Brooke