Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxbaerhems

Tree Peony 'Kinkaku'

MaxBaerHems
17 years ago

I thought you guy's might enjoy seeing a platter sized bloom or two from one of my favorite Tree Peony's...

Kinkaku....

{{gwi:633221}}

{{gwi:633224}}

{{gwi:633226}}

Comments (17)

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Max, that is lovely. I wish I could grow tree peonies but alas, they won't live for me. How many blooms is on one bush. Inquiring minds want to know....Ellie

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Rick, that is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!
    OK - off I go to find one :)

• marcia_m
    17 years ago

That's a beauty! I have one blooming now that's raspberry colored. The size of the flowers are amazing, aren't they?
    Marcia

• highjack
    17 years ago

WOW - wonder if you can beat the slop out of that one too?

Brooke

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ellie....that particular one has had 7 blooms..there are still a few buds.

Thanks FL..you can't go wrong with a few of them...

Marcia..yes the blooms are huge and the fragrance is awesome..this one has that kinda lemon magnolia fragrance...

Yup Brooke..they are as tuff as nails..hardy as can be...about the only real problems comes if loaded with the huge blooms and it gets really windy..above 35mph..best to have them caged then......

My favotite Peony of them all is my Fern Leaf Peony..but the damn squirrels ate (CUT OFF) all 5 buds..just a day or two before they opened...that is my favorite plant in my gardens...oh well..there is always ...Next Season.........

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

This is our supposedly Kinkaku.

{{gwi:633228}}

And here is a tree peony almost blooming today: Black Dragon Holds a Splendid Flower.

{{gwi:633230}}

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Ed,
    I think you top picture might be "High Noon"....definitely not Kinkaku....It sure is nice.
    Hard to beat them....

Rick

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Hi Rick, we were thinking the same thing.

Edward

• numama
    17 years ago

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE TREE PEONIES and your pics are GREAT! Unfortunately I only have one! Back when my computer crashed ... and NOTHING backed up ... I lost it's name. Maybe one of ya'll can ID it for me?
    Nancy
    {{gwi:631923}}

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Nancy,
    I can only give a best guess here...maybe you might recognize the name....Kamatanishiki. I only know of one other possibility..and that would only be good if yours turns an almost Pink as it ages...and that would be Kamata Fuji. But I am betting on Kamatanishiki.

Rick

• numama
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info Rick! I will look that up! I figure once the catalogs come around I'll figure it out for sure! I do think I rememer it starting with a K : )
    I've got it planted in a large pot. I've had it three years now. Last year I had one bloom....this year I got two! Sound normal to you?
    Nancy

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Hi Nancy, that sounds about right. My Kamatanishiki will be blooming for the first time this year. It is a three year old with three buds.

Edward

• marcia_m
    17 years ago

I like that lavender one. I almost bought a yellow last year, but the blooms lasted only one day at the nursery (I was there two days in a row contemplating it!), so I passed.

Here is a photo of my no-name before the rains ruined the rest of the blooms.
    {{gwi:632026}}

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Hi Marcia,

Your no-name looks an awful lot like the no-name blooming at our church. NO ONE knows where it came from, or when it was planted, but is sure is lovely in bloom. Sometimes I'm tempted to get one to plant at home - but WHERE would I PUT it? Too many plants to love, not enough yard. I think I'll have to stick with my herbaceous peonies, lilacs, irises, hostas, ferns, asters, daylilies, etc. etc.

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

And now Black Dragon Holds a Splendid Flower fully open.

{{gwi:633233}}

• mizellie
    17 years ago

That is very beautiful as they all are. Thanks for the pics. guys and gals. Since I don't have dl pics. , I can at least enjoy some of your pics....Ellie

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Here is first bloom on Naniwanishiki.

{{gwi:633236}}