Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizellie_gw

For your pleasure..

mizellie
16 years ago

The mountain Laurel has been full and beautiful this year. Must like the cold...

{{gwi:633260}}

I lost a lot of peony blooms this year. None of the whites bloomed and Sarah Bernhart only budded. The buds froze on her. This one has no name. I mean that I don't know her name..

{{gwi:633262}}

Jan, these Siberians ARE blue. A pink peony and on the lower right, my watchcat. I didn't know he was there until I saw the pic. I should have though since he is wherever I am....Ellie

{{gwi:633263}}

Comments (17)

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

Ellie, those are fabulous, especially the blue iris. Your mountain laurel is exquisite. Mine was pretty, but not that pretty!! I gotta get me some of those siberians. Hey, your garden buddy is cute too! :) He's like my dog, sneaks into lots of my photos! LOL
    Thanks for sharing Ellie. I love seeing what's blooming in others gardens.
    Jan

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

I have a bright pink peony that looks like yours, but, I have no name for it either. It was my prettiest this year. I did have a few white blooms but not as many. I've fell in love with siberian Iris this year and have several more ordered.

I was out in my garden the other day taking pictures and my cat liked to have caused me to hurt myself! He decided to rub against my tripod about the time I pressed the shutter, the the whole thing tried to turn upside down and it got my attention because I didn't even know he was there. So,to pay me back for scaring me half to death, I got a few good ones of him. Normally this is the cat with an attitude and he only graces us with his lovely self when HE wants too.

{{gwi:633264}}

I called his name in the first picture but no response until I called him about 3 times. I sware he snarled at me when I spoke the last time and I got the picture to prove it!

{{gwi:633266}}

• mizellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jan, I am marking Siberians to send you this fall. That blue really stands out and looks good with the peonies. ( If they would bloom ).

mlwgardener, he looks like a big cat. AND, I agree with you that he looked like he was giving you a piece of his mind. My cat is quite large too, although you can't tell from the pic. If I am in the garden, he's about a foot and a half ahead of me. Lying down. I say to him, MOVE IT, and he gets up, looks at me and moves about 1 & 1/2 feet. This is contineous until I leave. He will be about 2 feet in front of me. If I get in my car, I don't know where he goes but when I return, he bounds at me like a puppy. He also walks me to the house. I don't think he would defend me though. Your cat looks as though he wants to nip your leg OR SOMETHING. He's pretty though. Tell him and it might make his day....Ellie

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

Oh yes, We do tell him. He's been with us for about 9 years. Someone left him on our Vet's doorstep and he knew I wanted one for my daughter. When I got him he looked to be 3 wks old or so. His spot in the house is anywhere he choses for that day, never know where he might be. He's just independent to the max. He wants loving about once aday and it doesn't matter what I'm doing, I stop and provide a good head rubbing. I guess the thing that tickles me the most is that he goes walking with the dogs and I right down the road and if we get ahead of him he cries, nearly break your heart. Spoiled he is and loved too.

I know you enjoy your cat in the garden. Sometimes it can get old telling one of your loved ones to move every step you take, but we sure would miss them if they were gone. Does yours catch mice for you. Mine just loves to bring me a present inside and drop it at my feet! He kills voles and mice with a vengence so he will always have a nice warm spot in my home!

I also have two dogs that live in the house and garden with us and Munchkin. Our kids will tell you right quick that the animals of this home rule!

Well, outside I go. It's been so cool that my daylilies are just beginning to open about now. I went out about 8 and they were still closed tight. It's been this way for 4 days now. Beautiful weather and such a pleasure to work in, but it hard to dab pollen when it's still locked up in the daylily.

Blessings to you and yours, Mona

• mizellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mona, he catches everything. A little rabbit last week and an Indigo Bunting a couple of weeks ago. He is very independant, as most cats are but he likes a good head rub daily too. He jumps on the rail of the front porch and looks me in the eye. Then he slaps his paws on my shoulder and kisses me. He only puts his nose against my cheek but he thinks he's kissing me. My cat is strictly an outside cat. He was raised inside but doesn't want in anymore. He likes it outside. Mice, moles and voles, you know.

We don't have a dog as a pet. We have about 6 though. Beagles mostly and a couple of bull dogs. My dh hunts...Happy Lords Day...Ellie

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Lovely cats - oh, and those siberian irises are nice too, LOL. Where would we be without our cats?

Mine are indoors babies only:

{{gwi:633267}}
    This is Sophia, our grand dame. She's my baby, and very tolerant of the kids. Our daughter did this to her last winter:
    {{gwi:633268}}

Here are Molly (top) and BC (bottom) - Molly is the pesky little sister, only 1 year old; BC is the old man, he's almost 12.
    {{gwi:633269}}

I'm sure Molly and Sophia would like to be outside. BC has gotten out a few times, and he's afraid of it - he cries to be let in, it's pathetic.

Laurel

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Ellie, your mountain laurel is to die for!
    Loved all the cat pics...makes me want a kitten.
    Kathy

• mizellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have had many cats over the years but Kuddie is a favorite. he really is a watchcat.
    When I get up in the morning, he's waiting at my bathroom window. Just to let me know it's time to say good morning, I guess.

Kathy, this is the best year for the mountain Laurel. More beautiful this year than ever before. I am trying to root some of it. I would love to have it all over the place. The Siberians are also very dependable. They bloom late enough that the late freezes don't bother them. They do really well with the peonies too!! need some color since I can't seem to get any from the dls. I am singing a sad song aren't I?? Gotta quit that....Ellie

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

Laurel your cats are beauties, expecially the black shiny one and the others too. I have a friend that has one like your black one and he feels like mink. Thanks for the lovely picutres of your babies, Mona

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

{{gwi:58406}}
    Heres my blue siberians, they kind of opened all at once, I just love them. Could always use some more!! Just had to share the next one, thought it was cute. My son Ryan and some of my Tiffany roses.
    {{gwi:633270}} Ill have to post a pic of my fuzzy kitty. Hope you liked the pics -Jessica

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Ryan is adorable, Jessica! I'll bet he's a real joy.

Thanks, Mona - BC (Bad Cat) is really plush. We say he has bunny fur, he's so soft. He's a real marshmallow, too, sometimes more like a dog than a cat. Gotta love our pets. . . .

Laurel

• mizellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jessica, your garden is lovely and weedless. How did that happen? Lol, Guess I know the answer to that one. Your Siberian are really pretty. Is that your only color? Your son is cute as can be. He must like roses too. I can't grow roses here. To much work. That's why I grow dls....Just kidding. Everyone who grows dls know how much work is involved. What, with deadheading, dabbing, labeling. weeding, planting seeds, spraying for insects, spraying for rust and trying to water when it's so dry...nope, no work atall....Ellie

• jkunkel
    16 years ago

Well lost of mulch helps with the weeds, but they're sneeky littes buggers, I still get them, but I just get my little weed pitchfork and dig them out by the roots. Here's some more pics, I do have a purple siberian also that looks like ceaser's brother. Heres my fuzzy kitty-
    {{gwi:633271}}
    Here's some mini roses, and my climbing joseph's coat-
    {{gwi:633272}}excuse the empty pots and boxes under the deck!
    {{gwi:633273}}
    {{gwi:633274}}
    {{gwi:633275}}
    still don't have any daylilies yet, but they will be blooming soon, just had to share this pic, I LOVE this spiderwort. (sweet kate) I know people in the south don't like them, but I do!
    {{gwi:633276}}
    Those two colors are just stunning together! Ryan is great, he's my buddy, we do everything together. He likes going around and smelling all the flowers, cause he see's me doing it! And I mean all of them, even if they don't have any fragrance. Hope you enjoy the pics, ill have DL's soon, everyone is posting the most beautiful pics, so I just posted pics of what I do have blooming. -Jessica

• mizellie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jessica, it's not that I don't like the spiderwart, it's just so invasive here. I do have a couple that I am able to control. Your s are really pretty and bright.
    Your fuzzy kitten is not shy, is he? He just poses for the pictures. Pretty...
    Weeds are growing here like mad. The grass is dying, the daylilies aren't flourshing, and the other flowers would love a long drink of water. I can't water everything with the well water because I need to reserve it for houshold use...Ellie

• indigofox
    16 years ago

Laurel,

I love your Maine Coon! Mine died two years ago and I'm still not over it. I've been looking for another, but I'm having some trouble finding the old fashioned ones. Lots of breeders like the feral look.
    Leslie

• laurelin
    16 years ago

Hi Leslie,

Sophia was a rescued kitten from an animal shelter. We adopted her when she was about 10 weeks old, so we didn't know she was a MC at the time. Now I know she's a Maine Coon (she has ALL the characteristics), but I think she's what is sometimes called "foundation stock," or naturally occurring outside of a formal breeding program. Maybe you could try some local animal shelters? Finding a pet is so personal, but all of our cats came from shelters and they are such wonderful personalities. Maybe you'll have better luck finding an "old fashioned" MC that way, if you're not breeding them and need them to have a registered pedigree.

I love Sophia, she's a great cat. She's out in the kitchen right now making a fuss over her favorite cat toy (a round plastic milk top ring) - she's VERY mouthy and talkative. She gets along fine with BC, but she and Molly have that Garfield-Nermal thing going.

Laurel

{{gwi:334760}}
    Can you tell that Sophia is thrilled with Molly, LOL?

• indigofox
    16 years ago

After seeing your message Laurel, I got busy looking for a Maine Coon and found this little girl in a shelter. Isn't she cute?

{{gwi:633277}}

{{gwi:633278}} {{gwi:633279}}

Leslie