Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelin_gw

Daylily nurseries/hybridizers in the Northeast?

laurelin
17 years ago

Hello all,

I KNOW there are MANY great hybridizers working in the South, but I've heard of very few in the Northeast. Can you name any that you know of (or have visited) in the Northeast, especially in NY/PA? I'd love to visit a nursery/hybridizer in person someday, but I can't drive two days to do it.

PLEASE don't ask me where I'd put the new plants I'd be sure to buy if I did make such a trip - we've got the incredible shrinking lawn as it is. I'm eyeing a patch of grass by the driveway turnaround for future garden expansion.

(I suppose my other solution would be to start my OWN daylily nursery and breeding operation. Then I could invite all of YOU to come UP HERE, and I could work with northern-hardy plants. Hey, I can dream, you know! The Lord has led us down strange paths before. . . .)

Laurel

Comments (9)

• highjack
    17 years ago

How far are you from Melanie Mason? Isn't she around Saratoga?

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

Laurel, I have posted a link below to Melanie Mason's web site.

I have never met her, but from the email robin and a couple of emails she sent me when I was just beginning dabbing pollen, she appears to be a super nice person.

Royce

Here is a link that might be useful: Melanie Mason

• laurelin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Brooke, Royce -

I'll have to bookmark Melanie Mason's site - I saw QUITE a few of her introductions that I really like, and to visit her farm would be a long day trip for me. Perhaps next year - our lives got thrown a curve yesterday, courtesy of a left turn where I stopped and signaled to turn (waiting for oncoming traffic to pass), and the large pickup pulling a trailer behind me didn't stop at all and hit us at 30MPH or so. . . . SO, we're recovering from that (thankfully just a very bad fright, and bruises and pulled muscles galore for the kids and I, nothing worse), but the car is toast, and we're not going anywhere out of town any time soon.

On Melanie's website I really like (of her intros):

Angus Pride (dark crimson-black, orange eye - very bold)
    Candlelight and Cabernet (dark red/rose/cream, white edge)
    Eva Janine (pastel pink, green throat)
    Longlesson Ballad (soft orchid rose, pale cream eye)
    Longlesson Liberty Belle (bright rose-gold polychrome)
    Mrs. London's Apricot Tart (apricot, round & ruffled, rosy eye)
    Pince Nez (very dark black-red)
    Rescue Me (lemon/amber, soft cinnamon eye)
    Tiger On Stilts (tall, late, soft orange w/red eye - I'd like to breed for taller/later varieties someday)

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Don Herr is in Lancaster County, Pennsylvannia. Is that any closer to you?

Edward

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Herr

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Zolock Gardens is in Belle Vernon, PA. I received an order from Steve Zolock earlier this month that was great.

• highjack
    17 years ago

Laurel so sorry about your auto accident and happy you and the family are OK.

Why not consider a trip to Darrell Apps' Woodside Nursery in NJ. From Westchester, it should be a nice day trip. Get that sister of yours interested - doesn't she owe you a favor?

Brooke

• laurelin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Edward,

Lancaster is close enough for a day trip for us - we were just down there in April. Now I have another reason to go down there. Mr. Herr has some nice intros too - especially 'Tall Dark and Handsome.' Thanks!

Maximus,
    I'll need to look up Belle Vernon, PA. I can't place that one at all right now. I'll have to try MapQuest. What did you get from Zolock Gardens? Do they have a website?

Brooke,
    I'll have to see how far Woodside NJ is from us (I'm near Binghamton). I've been trying to get my friends and family interested in daylilies - my parents have quite a few, but they were just trying to fill a large driveway turnaround bed at their new house and bought daylilies willy-nilly all over the place at box stores and nurseries, and didn't keep any of the labels. They've been the same way about irises. Lots of lovelies, but NO IDEA what most of them are. I'll keep working on my sister, but I think *I* owe *her* after she sat in the ER with us for a couple hours Wednesday, then drove us all home. Maybe I'll give her - A DAYLILY!

Laurel

• laurelin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I gave my sister 'Catherine Woodbery' as a thank-you gift. Maybe I can get her hooked, too!

Laurel

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Laurel, my order from Zolock Gardens included LOUNGE LIZARD, CALCULATED AMBIGUITY, GUILT BY ASSOCIATION and SUPERFICIAL SIGHS (all great Hansons), KEA LIHI, TENNYSON and COPERNICUS. Good prices, and the bonus is a discount taken off your order total.

Chris