Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizellie_gw

A couple of new ones.

mizellie
17 years ago

Here is the Mtn Azalea that blooms so late.. Not full yet as it is still small.

{{gwi:633560}}

Indian Pinks. I got these a few at a time where they were clearing the land....Ellie

{{gwi:633561}}

Comments (10)

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Ellie, I love the Indian Pinks! Are they shade-lovers?

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Chris, I don't think they're hardy for us northerners.

Beautiful, Ellie :)

• numama
    17 years ago

OMG Gorgeous Ellie! I am IN LOVE with those Indian Pinks! The Mtn. Az. is just breathtaking as well...no big bushes for me tho!
    Here is some non daylily stuff I got blooming:
    ORANGE BUTTERFLY WEED...Monarchs lay their eggs on this and some other cultivars I have which aren't blooming yet.
    {{gwi:633562}}
    One species of yellow coneflower I have
    {{gwi:633563}}
    My wild clematis
    {{gwi:633374}}
    LOVE IN A MIST
    {{gwi:632748}}
    LOUISIANA GAME COCK
    {{gwi:632742}}

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

I tell ya, sometimes being a Northerner just BITES.

• highjack
    17 years ago

Yeah, and bites hard!

Brooke

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Ellie, I have never seen Mtn Azalea, but I love it! Does Mtn=Mountain?

Nancy, I bought Black Gamecock this year, but won't have blooms until next spring (if then). I have some blue LA iris that were beautiful this year...but I'm going to move them back toward the fence in the fall. The foliage gets bent and flops, so I'm hoping the fence will give it some support. Now watch...it will hate being near the fence and refuse to bloom ever again!
    Kathy

• rsts
    17 years ago

Ellie, I am a great fan of all Native Azaleas. At least I think the Mtn Azalea is native. I have two kind and have planted them in one of my rare spots that gets afternoon filtered shade. The pinks are also interesting. Have never seen the actual flower.

Nancy, I like the Butterfly Weed. I had it, but don't know if it reseeded. Something else the Monarchs really love is Mexican Sunflower. Don't remember the proper name.

Brooke and Chris, some of the neat things don't do well in the South. Examples that come to mind are: Rhodendron, Daphne and Peony. There are, of course, others, but those immediately come to mind. Ellie and Nancy might be close to ideal for growing a variety of things.

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Here is a shot of my blue LA iris I took at the end of May. Does anyone know what this variety is called?

{{gwi:633564}}

And Royce is right. There are lots of things that don't grow well down here. But that doesn't stop me from trying! But I am giving up on the bearded iris. I've waited 4 years for mine to bloom without luck. Sometimes I try to "fool" the plants by planting them in shade. But then they won't bloom. So I will have to admire all of yours from afar.

Funny, I don't think of Kentucky as being a northern state. But I know it gets cold there. We went to Mammoth Cave a few years back and the temps surprised me! Beautiful state, though...drove some scenic routes and we ooohed and ahhhed for hours. This was in Oct. and folks had decorated their yards with pumpkins and scarecrows and bales of hay...looked like a picture post-card.
    Kathy

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy, I think your blue LA iris looks like a dutch iris.

Royce, the Mtn Azalea( called by me cause I'm on the mountain ) is actually a native of Cumberland Mountain in N Alabama. Probably grows in the Smoky Mountains too !! I also have a yellow one that hasn't bloomed yet. It also is a native of Cumberland Mountain. I didn't dig them though. Someone I know was strolling through the woods, shovel in hand and happened to spy these and at different times at that.

Our woods, (not mine but surrounding woods)b are full of the pink lady's slippers. Unlawful to dig. I have dug them on private property but they do not like being transplanted.

Indian Pinks.. Habitant is Maryland south to Florida; West to Texas, Missouri and Oklahoma.. Moist woods is where they grow so I guess that answers your question too Nancy. they like shade but I find mine do better with lots of light but not direct sun.

When I get the time to take a pic, later today of my yellow butterfly weed. I have orange whick I dug and one that looks red before completely open. I dug that one from my driveway. Now if you have never dug butterfly weed, you really should. It would be a lesson in appreciation to those who grow it. It has 3 ft of roots. Actually I think the roots are the same length as the plant at least it seem so to me. Ok now, I have run you all off so guess I'll go....Ellie

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Ellie, nah...it's not a dutch iris. It just reminds you of one because of the angle of the photo. It has yellow signals and it's common, but I can't remember the name. I have another photo somewhere, but darn if I can find it.
    Kathy