Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

An experiment

rsts
17 years ago

Some of us have been discussing tastes in daylilies and honesty in comments. I am posting the following pictures mainly from curiosity as to which ones, if any, you like. All will be kept another year because I don't need the space. I am 99.999999% sure some will be compost. Two will be used in hybridizing because they have traits that I want to pursue further. Some might be kept as garden flowers for a while.

I think it will be interesting if you will state which ones you like most and/or dislike most. This is not a test. I especially am not looking for compliments. I will not be the least bit if you don't like some or all of them. I am just interested in seeing how much we differ in what we like/dislike. Answer any way you like and rate as many as you like.

Anyone want to play???

Pic 1

{{gwi:633573}}

Pic 2

{{gwi:633575}}

Pic 3

{{gwi:633577}}

Pic 4

{{gwi:633579}}

Pic 5

{{gwi:633581}}

Pic 6

{{gwi:633584}}

Pic 7

{{gwi:633586}}

Pic 8

{{gwi:633588}}

Pic 9

{{gwi:633590}}

Pic 10

{{gwi:633592}}

Comments (22)

• numama
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm playing! Listed from favorite to least favorite.
    #10 is my favorite Love the color, ruffles and the eye.
    #1 is next, LOVE the pale yellow, the lines or sculpted? The paler midribs I think sets it off.
    #7 I really like the BOLD EYE and big edge!
    #2 is next... love that contrasting throat with the matching thin yellow edge
    #6 is lovely in form and color
    #9 the pink and yellow are pretty together, but many different types like these are available
    #8 Just another yellow...but what do I know?
    #4 is pretty, but so many look like this!
    #3 my favorite color, but so many that look like it!
    #5 I like the eyezone but that's it!
    Truth be told and they were mine....I COULDN'T COMPOST any of them!

Nancy

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THANKS Nancy! That is exactly what I was hoping I would get. BTW, the original post had a typo. I intended to say "I will not be the least bit OFFENDED if you don't like some or all of them."

Hope others will comment HONESTLY as Nancy did. I think it will be interesting to see the different opinions. I will give my opinion later.

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Hi Royce,
    I like to look at lots of pics of the same flower before I buy. But judging by only one pic and no stats, here are my thoughts -

10 is my favorite. Don't you DARE compost this one!
    5 is my least favorite. The is a tan overtone in the pic that I don't like.
    I like both the yellows, but prefer 1 over 8.
    I like the double edge on 7...but it reminds me of Canadian Border Patrol which I already have, so I wouldn't buy it. But I prefer yours and would trade my CBP for yours.
    9 is a very pretty color....a nice clear pink. I prefer this pink over the rose color in number 2. If it doesn't turn peachy, I'd buy 9 for sure.
    I like 4, especially the edge. It has a nice peaceful look to it. I'd like to get this one as a bonus, but I probably wouldn't buy it. I like my flowers with more pizazz.
    I don't care for 3, 5, or 6. I wouldn't buy any of these.
    Kathy

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Just compared my post to Nancy's. Very similar. Interesting!
    Kathy

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

I would buy number 2 and compost number 6. The rest I would keep if the rest if the plant shows potential in terms of branching, budcount and vigour.

Edward

• highjack
    17 years ago

I think it would have been more fun to try to pick which forums members loved/hated which blooms.

I'll start with the easy ones - 3-4-7, ain't my thang but of course Mud knew that.

#1 - This is as good as some of the $200-300 hotties on the market. Certainly shows lots of potential as a great bridge plant.

#2 - I love it - shows bi tendencies with the sepals appearing to have a lighter edge and a very distinct throat.

#5 - shows a watermark and my favorite type eye, the band of color, not a schremer with possible light edge of the sepal - on my monitor this is a pink with a touch of lavender in the color, not tan at all.

#6 - another band of color instead of a bold eye and I love the way the petals attach to the throat and it looks huge. This is one I would keep around to watch but future would be iffy.

#8 - I think you've shown this one before and I still like it. Great substance, big wide petals, definitely another great bridge plant that no one else has.

#9 - wahoo - this one can live in my garden anytime. Beautiful color and a light ruffled edge instead of gold. She looks big and thick as leather.

#10 - not my favorite color combo but I like the width of petals and sepals - it would live here because my hubby would love it.

Now watch my favorite ones have bud counts of 3 and the branching of a bamboo cane.

Brooke

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

I WANT TO PLAY, TOO! I didn't read anyone else's comments, so it'll be interesting to go back and compare my opinions with those above:

1. Beautiful color and form
    2. Nothing special
    3. OK
    4. Not my colors, but nice edge
    5. Nice shape, don't like the color
    6. Very pretty, nice subtle eyezone
    7. Don't like the color or shape of the sepals, but I bet others drool over this one
    8. Nice color and shape
    9. Good color, love the recurving petals
    10. GORGEOUS!

Order of preference: 10, 1, 6, 9, 8, then all the rest

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I'll play too, Royce! Here goes:

1. Nice lemony color, but very similar to many other ruffled yellows. I'm not into heavy ruffled edges, either, so this wouldn't be a choice for me.
    2. I like the warm pink color with the clear yellow eye and pale green throat. The fine gold edge is quite nice, and I like the shape of the petals (reminds me of a trillium flower). The sepals recurve a lot, so the overall effect of the flower is triangular - again, not something I look for in a daylily, but I'd give it a chance if it were a bonus.
    3. This one looks like many other purple-with-an-eye daylilies I've seen. Unless it had phenomenal bud count/branching/hardiness, I wouldn't be interested.
    4. Very nice color combination; the eye is a nice shape (circular) and well-balanced with the size of the petals. Some flowers look like they have a black eye, in the negative sense of the word, or like THE EYE is all you can see when you look at the plant. I'm not into heavy edges; this one doesn't look ragged or deformed, and I'd welcome it as a bonus even if I might not purchase it from a list of many.
    5. This one is my favorite. I like the warm pink color and the fine lavender eye, with the warm gold throat and edge. I like the wide-open star shape; overall, it's a lovely flower. If you're tempted to compost it, would you consider me as an adoptive home for it? (And if you register and sell it, I'll buy!)
    6. A very pleasant flower shape and color. The eye is nice up close - a plant that would be great by a path or front door.
    7. I'm sure many people like this one, but it's not my style at all. That said, it has good form, nice ruffling, a great wide edge that matches the bold eye, and would probably be a good breeder or intro.
    8. No, thank you - too triangular and chunky around the edges, and not distinctive at all.
    9. Nice clear color; it recurves more than I prefer, and it looks like many pinks I considered buying this spring. (I only had room for 4-5, so they had to really stand out to me as well as fit my admittedly small budget.)
    10. Very nice flower, a good bridge or intro. I'll bet a lot of people like this one. I like oranges, and the throat and eye are striking without being overpowering. More ruffling than I like, but if I got it as a bonus I'd give it a try.

I'll be interested to hear YOUR opinions, Royce. Don't keep us in suspense too long, please! It's interesting to read everyone's comments, and see how what they like the most reveals their own taste. It's like reading any kind of review: you have to know something about the biases of the reviewER to know how that affects their opinion of the reviewEE, to get the "whole picture" of their review.

(So, did you figure out my biases yet? I like open, star-shaped blooms with more of an old-fashioned form; light ruffling can be nice but NO chicken fat or teeth, please; I like eyes that are subtle or distinctive without being the only thing you see about the bloom; I like all colors, with a bias toward warm or clear tones; I don't like bagels, triangles, or long dangly spufs.)

Laurel

• mizellie
    17 years ago

My turn...1 ... yellow is not my favorite color but seems to be what I chose more often than not. Good color, nice ruffling and nice contrasting green throat.
    2 ... I don't like this one. The petals are pinched. It is my fav color though.

3 ... I think this one is very ordinary.

4 ... A little on the bland side but has a nice dbl edge and soft eye.

5 ... I do not like anything about this one.

6 ... I am not sure about this one. It seems kinda different and unusual.

7 ... Good eye and edge but the sepals look like hounds ears.

8 ... I like the pleated look of this one even if it is yellow.

9 ... I like pink. I like this one, nice recurve.

10 ... Like most other folks, I like this too. it is bright without be gaudy, good form and good color combo. What's not to like about it??? Ellie

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the comments. I think these are some of the most honest comments I have read on GW. "Sepals look like hound ears" ROFLMAO!!!! Love it.

My thoughts on those shown are: The blooms are first year blooms None have shown very much regarding bud count, branching, etc. I expect those traits will be better next year. Some of the blooms are from 8 to 10 month old seedlings, planted about 3" apart and overwintered in the greenhouse.

I will keep two for further hybridizig. First choice is #1, because of bloom size. First blooms were 7".
    Second choice is #7 (Maybe I'll name it hound ears), because it has a wide edge, which I am trying to develop.

The remaining comments will be from a gardening, rather than hybridizing, perspective.

#9 is the purest pink daylily I have. It is also one of those from seeds planted last summer. If it retains it's color clarity, it will be a keeper, unless other traits are awful.

#'s 3, 4, 5, and 6 will almost certainly end up as compost. They will be kept one more year because I don't need the space.

#'s 2,8 and 10 I like about equally. I don't like orangey, so don't like #10 well as some of you. The edges on #8 are a little different from anything else I have, but I have many yellows, so it is marginal. I think #2 is different from anything else I have and will probably keep it for a while.

I very much appreciate your honest opinions. It was great fun. By next year, I will hopefully have extras of all but 1 and 7 (they will probably be in the gh). Hopefully, I can share any you like well enough to own, if other traits are worthy of keeping.

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Count me in, Royce! This was a great exercise -- wonder if we can continue it with other's seedlings (if they're willing to take the criticism) or with cvs already on the market. You know how we all love trash someone's intros ;o)

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Chris. I have been thinking about doing another one later. I am still taking a few pictures. Might have to throw in a few I have shown earlier as single pictures, but think it would be interesting to put them in a group and ask for opinions.

Some things that I think made the above work. 1. Put in 8 to 10 pictures. I think most people hate to just totally trash someone's work, but will be more willing to give a negative comment if they can have one or more on which to comment positively. Hold the size to 50k, or preferably less, so it does not take forever to open. Try to get Ellie to vote first. After she calls one hound ears, I think others will be more likely to give an honest opinion. lol

BTW, should others like to comment, I will still be very interested in reading the comments.

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

First, let me say that though one may have hounds ears I personally think that none are so bad as to hear them barking all the way up here. Some I've seen posted on some places needed to be on the menu at the Deer Drop Inn.

#1 Pretty but there are a lot more out there just like it. If it has 40 plus buds and is hardy up North, keep it.
    #2 Sort of looks like a 70's Munson. Now if you could make those petals 10 inches long and twist and curl maybe you'd have something.
    #3 Another ordinary eye.
    #4 Another pretty one but a lot of look alikes are already out there.
    #5 I personally like this one. I like the WM and the shading. Do we consider this a bitone?
    #6 This looks like a fairly large flower. I like this one too. Another one that I wonder what it would look like taken spidery?
    #7 Just another eye and edge.
    #8, #9 Both pretty and not dogs but a lot out there similar
    #10 I don't usually like oranges but I do like the color combination on this one. The shape of the bloom appears to need a little modification though.

That's about as brutally honest as I can get. There are people out there that would register all those plants in a heartbeat. If they were mine I might even be tempted to myself and refuse to listen to my own thoughts. But this is my opinion and remember what you paid for it...

Janet

• highjack
    17 years ago

LOL - Deer Drop Inn - I love it. We must be seeing the same seedlings.

I looked at all these seedlings not as garden plants, but what they could possibly give me the next generation. It is the same way I look at anyone's intros and determine what I bring in and how many $$$$ I am willing to part with. This is what I would use your #2 on from my own seedlings {{gwi:633594}} and probably on this one too {{gwi:631997}} As you can see, one is a bitone with a lighter edge and pretty good petal width and there other has the same type of very distinct throat. It is the throat, which is very visible in person even from a distance that fascinates me.

This is my seedling I would use your #5 on {{gwi:631383}} I have the width of petal and sepal on my seedling and want to slightly darken the eye band because it is the same color as the edge.

And no I'm not going to tell you the bloom has hound dog ears - I think you can see that fault and you assume we can see it too.

#9 can live here anytime - you can't have too many big pink daylilies in the garden. I'm not showing the hubby #10 or he will want it. I brought in FOX HUNTER for him this year (heck one out of about 25 is not bad). I grit my teeth when I take the pollen from it but if it keeps him happy, why not.

Brooke

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Okay, I'm late to the party.

Like pink daylilies, so #2 and #9 look great to me.

Like yellow ones and since you said #1 is big (better yet), it's a winner along with #8 which looks very smooth, for lack of a better description.

The rest, while nice, remind me of other things and just don't grab me...since I am making myself be very picky.

(This is really hard as after I said "don't grab me", I want to say NOT THAT THEY'RE NOT PRETTY!)

Daylilies really do have something for everyone.

Thanks, Royce, for being brave and letting us have our say...and still liking us!

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brooke, after "smarting off" at you on the discussion side yesterday, my internet connection went down until afternoon today. WOW! I am impresses with your power.

Regarding #9, as I said earlier, it is a greenhouse bloom on a seedling less than 10 months old. I have no idea how it will eventually develop. As soon as I get another fan, I will be glad to share. At the moment, I don't even know exactly where it is located. It is now planted in the garden and heavily mulched. I am fairly sure it is marked, but markers are now covered with mulch.

Royce

• highjack
    17 years ago

LOL at Royce while twitching her nose. Don't you remember they did a TV show about me years ago and just recently got my alter ego to do a movie?

Brooke the Bewitched

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was tempted to say lucky for you, you don't live in Salem, but was afraid worse things might happen.

Royce

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

I like #9, # 5, and #2 in that order. I chose these prior to reading any of the follow up posts above.

Jan

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Royce...add me to the list of loving #9 (hey, how about naming the beauty 'Love Potion Number Nine'). Next is #1...I'm a sucker for yellow and ruffles. This year, my goal was to only buy ruffles, I'd definitely love to have yours in my garden.
    Marilyn

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to all for participating. I really enjoyed the comments. 'Course some, lika "hound ears", have been filed away for an opportune time lol. I thought I might do it again, but don't think I will have enough new seedlings to make it interesting. Perhaps next year.

To those who were honest and tried to tippy toe a little to not hurt my feelings, I was not offended or discouraged by any of the comments and sincerely appreciate the honesty of the comments.

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marilyn, I was writing when you posted. Thanks for the comments. I am a little concerned about #9 maintaining its color clarity, because the above bloom was a greenhouse bloom.

To those who like yellow, I have lots of yellows. I might post some of the yellows to see if you would like any of them. I will use three yellows in hybridizing next year, #1 above, the large yellow Tammy sent me and a seedling from a friend, which has HOW BEAUTIFUL HEAVEN MUST BE as a parent. I used the last one this year and have previously shown a picture of it.