Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelin_gw

Another love: peonies (pics)

laurelin
16 years ago

I have many plant loves - daylilies, and irises, and peonies, among other things. Here are a few peonies, just for fun:

{{gwi:633682}}
'Fairbanks'

{{gwi:633687}}
'Couronne d'Or'

{{gwi:633691}}
'Mischief'

Laurel

Comments (22)

• tweetypye
    16 years ago

I love them all....can't grow them down here in south central Alabama... sure wish I could.
    Thanks for sharing yours with me. :)
    Jan

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're welcome, Jan! I'm just DYING waiting for scapes and blooms on my daylilies while so many GW friends down south are posting beauties every day. I guess I feel a bit left out, LOL, so I'll share the beauties I have while I wait for my other lovelies to bloom.

Today I planted my last couple dozen daylily seedlings at my friend's house. Hooray! Next year I might get some blooms from them.

Laurel

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

I fell in love with Peonies when I was a child about 6 years old. In fact, it's the first flower in my memory. It and crinum
    lilies. My beloved Granny grew the peony. I could smell as much as I wanted but I could not pick. I think the smell is why I remember it so much.

Your photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing and bringing back that memory. Mona

• abbydales
    16 years ago

Laurel,
    Peonies are another love of mine, too. I get just a few blooms on mine, though, while my mother, who is just 35 miles from here, gets dozens and dozens . She has great soil and more sun!
    My daughter picked a peony for her own garden, "Sorbet,"
    and she is so excited to have 4 buds on it this first year.

I hope to add a couple more in between the dls this fall.
    I want Rasp. Sundae. I love yours, how long do the blooms last on your singles? Mine seem to be over to quickly.
    Thanks, Sharon

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My singles hold their blooms for up to 10 days, depending on the weather. Cooler weather = longer bloom. We've had a cool spell, so I've got some lovely blooms, but tomorrow is supposed to be 90+, so I'm sure that will shorten their blooming time. I have some that are just opening, so I'll have to take more pictures tomorrow AM before the heat gets too intense.

I don't have 'Sorbet,' but I've seen pictures - it's lovely. Here are a couple more of mine:

{{gwi:633470}}
    'Early Glow'

{{gwi:633693}}
    'Sarah Bernhardt'

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

Here is the first bloom of the year.

{{gwi:633694}}

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

{{gwi:633695}}

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lovely tree peonies, Edward - thank you for sharing. Your second photo is stunning.

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

Thank you Laurel. here is the last bloom picture of this one. The next picture will be when the whole bush is in full bloom.

{{gwi:633696}}

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My, oh my, oh my that's beautiful. I have GOT to get some tree peonies one of these days.

Here's one of my favorite peonies, 'Philippe Rivoire.' It's fragrant, and prolific. It's just starting to bloom for me, so I hope to get a "bush shot" later this week:

{{gwi:633697}}

Laurel

• mlwgardener
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!These sure are wonderful. My peonies bloomed good this year, they just didn't last very long due to our freaky weather. I sure do enjoy your pics. Mona

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Mona! I'm still waiting for daylilies, but I finally have one putting up scapes, so there's hope. Here's a couple more peonies:

{{gwi:633698}}
    Peony 'Bo Peep'

{{gwi:633699}}
    Peony 'Delavan Rose'

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

Bush Shot

{{gwi:633700}}

Japanese Tree Peony

{{gwi:633701}}

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful, Edward. The second one looks like it's a coral-red, really glowing. I like the warm colors in tree peonies. I've admired tree peonies on the Klehm's Song Sparrow website - 'Marchioness,' Tessera' and 'Golden Mandarin' really are striking.

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

Here are a couple more.

Tree Peony - High Noon

{{gwi:633703}}

Peony - Athena

{{gwi:633704}}

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beautiful, Rick! Here are my last ones:

{{gwi:633705}}
    Amalia Olson (beautiful and fragrant, but shy-blooming)

{{gwi:633706}}
    Mt. St. Helens (planted for my son, who loves volcanoes; it's a deeper color than this picture, really crimson-ruby-toned)

Laurel

• katlynn719
    16 years ago

Good gosh! I love peonies and didn't even know it. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen one. These are wonderful. I don't ever want to hear y'all complain about how you can't grow camelias or gardenias, etc. You have LOTS of things up north that we can't grow in the south. I have no more pity for you.
    :-)
    Kathy

• abbydales
    16 years ago

Laurel,
    I really love that 'Delavan Rose' peony.
    Is the color pretty true in that photo?
    Lovely.

Edward,
    those tree peonies are amazing,
    it is really something to see that pure yellow.
    Thanks for sharing.

~~Sharon

• laurelin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Sharon,

Yes, the color is pretty close in that photo. I bought that one from Roy Klehm's Song Sparrow nursery. It bloomed really well this year, and stayed upright better than most peonies do.

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

Even more.

Tree Peony High Noon

{{gwi:633707}}

Peony Nice Gal

{{gwi:633708}}

Peony Fairfield

{{gwi:633709}}

• abbydales
    16 years ago

My daughter has been anxiously waiting for her new peony to bloom. It had four nice buds and the foilage looks green and healthy, but recently the buds seem to be drying up and look like they won't bloom. She is really upset, and was so looking forward to the blooms. (she is 9 yrs. old)
    I don't know enough about peonies to know what went wrong.
    It would seem unlikely that it was underwatered, as we live in the moist Pacific NW, but that is always a possibility.
    Does anyone who is more familiar with peonies know what may have happened?
    Thanks, Sharon

• Edward_Kimball
    16 years ago

Sorry Sharon but I can't help you. Here is another Peony though. This one is Pink Luau

{{gwi:633710}}

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus