Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisydo_gw

Ideal conditions for growing lilies?

daisydo
17 years ago

I have fallen in love with lilies. I have 3 varieties now and plan to purchase more. Do they like shade or sun, and do they all like the same conditions. I have equal amounts of garden space for shade and sun. I can't tell the difference in the ones I have now, whether in sun or shade, but none seem to thrive as the ones in the pictures I have seen on this forum. Can someone tell me how they grow with success. Thanks from a beginner.

Comments (6)

• laurelin
    17 years ago

daisydo,

I'm not a daylily expert, but here's what I've learned so far from the great folks on this forum (and from growing some daylilies for the past couple years):

Most daylilies prefer full sun, in ordinary to rich garden soil. Some of the darker colors can fade in hot sun and do better with some afternoon shade or high dappled shade for the hottest part of the day. They can be fairly tolerant of drought when established, but bloom better with regular deep watering. You're in a nice warm middle zone, so you could grow just about any daylily you fancy (dormant, semi-evergreen, or evergreen), if I've understood other comments on this forum correctly. (I have to stick to dormants or tough semi-evergreens - we get pretty cold sometimes, -25 occasionally.)

I hope this helps, and if I've put my foot in it with incorrect advice, I hope someone else on this forum will correct me and steer you in the right direction. I don't have any experience gardening in a warmer zone.

Daylilies are a great garden plant, in my opinion, and I think you'll really enjoy them - and getting to know the fun, interesting people on this forum.

Laurel

• highjack
    17 years ago

Welcome daisydo and be prepared for the addiction. Laurel gives great advice on the care of the daylilies. It sounds like you could possibly just not have overly good bloomers - it happens. Start searching, you can find a few thousand that will perform for you.

Brooke

• daisydo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I'm hooked! My double violet bloomed today. So beautiful..I bought it at a lawn and garden show and the gentleman I bought it from said it was from his garden and I would love it. I do, I do! I've been out several times to look at it today. Thanks for the info on growing them.
    Just what I needed, another addiction!

• numama
    17 years ago

Welcome daisydo! Now all you need to go with all the flowers is a digital camera so you can share your photos!
    Nancy

• butterflychaser
    17 years ago

Please remember that the first year a daylily is in one place, the blooms may not be spectacular. They need to settle into their new home. And each time you move one, it may have to re-settle. The second year, you may have much better, bigger, prettier blooms.

NancyAnn

• rsts
    17 years ago

Laurel did a great job in telling you how to grow them, so I will just add - Welcome. Now, if you really want a daylily addiction, just hybridize a few (tee hee hee)size>

Royce