Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

seedlings - the good, the bad & the ugly

highjack
17 years ago

Oooops, not many good ones, lots of bad ones and several of the ugly and no, no pictures.

Walking to the seedling field every day used to be exciting - not anymore, I dread it this year. I have had some outright ugly ones, even out performing the uglies in the past. I have even eliminated a couple because the genes jumped back not just to the 60's but circa 1945. Arlo would have been excited. Please, don't tell me these could improve - they can't jump centuries.

One of the strange ones has been a cross of GENTLEMAN OF VERONA x ALTER EGO. GOV is a beautiful clean yellow with a unique pattern in the throat and AE is a true spider, pale lavender/pink in color. Where did the muddy brick red with muddy purple big eye come from? I know I can't get the pattern on a spider in one generation but gosh, this is so ugly I don't think I can look at it two years in a row to do additional crossing. I have some other GOV things that will bloom this year - hope they are better.

Another strange one but one which will be fun to watch is a purple one and the pedigree is seedling (ADMIRALS BRAID x CHANCE ENCOUNTER) X RIBBONS AND THINGS. Expecting pink or lavender, I got purple. There is someone on the net who tells you what to expect from each cross from color to budcount to branching. It sure would be nice if I could use the crystal ball because this bloom was not what I was expecting. The scape was also strange on this one - it is one big fan with two small side fans and the scape comes out of the ground as two scapes. I wonder if there had been more moisture this past year, if this would have been a fused scape.

The seedlings from previous years are starting to bloom and a couple of purple spufs have pretty good color this year and are threatning to be spiders. The only other one that has caught my eye is a EMPIRE RETURNS x SPACECOAST SURPRISE PURPLE (purchased seeds). It looks like it is working on some possible sculpting and some teeth.

I bought CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION (Carpenter) this year to cross with a couple of my red seedlings. It bloomed today and is gorgeous - there wasn't a blemish on it. I immediately picked it and brought it in to collect the pollen. I had to grab it early because this is the only bud on the scape. I sure hope it sends up rebloom scapes but boy, it is a pretty thing. If it doesn't, I have something to look forward to next year.

Admiring my seedlings and dragging hoses, this has been my day.

Brooke

Comments (12)

• rsts
    17 years ago

Brooke, sorry about the seedlings that have bloomed. As Janet said on one of my posts, "I resemble that" One year, I think all mine were poorer than the prior year. This year would not have been much if I had not cheated a little and bloomed some from last year's seeds. Maybe if you will quit messing with them skinny, twisting, deformed things, you might get some nice daylilies. For example, I am showing a picture below that I think is very nice. It was taken at about 7:45 this afternoon after another brutally hot day.

I had a couple of fans of this one in the greenhouse and showed a picture of it then. This one is from an outside fan.

Parents: PEARL HARBOR X VICTORIAN LACE (Oh yeah, this is from a seed you sent me).

{{gwi:634039}}

Hope you get some nice ones soon. Sure starts the day off better.

• numama
    17 years ago

Well Brooke, the positive is that you do have SOME to admire! ER x SSP sounds very interesting and would like to see a pic of that! I hope the seedling you have yet to bloom turn out to be SPECTACULAR!
    Royce, I love the ruffles on your seedling! One day maybe my pearl harbor seedlings will grow up! Planted the seed appx. August last year they died back over winter, came back and quit growing at about 2 inches tall! What's up with that? They aren't dying they just sit there and do NOTHING!
    Nancy

• rsts
    17 years ago

Nancy, I wish I knew the answer to your question. I am very frustrated with my seedlings planted earlier this spring. First, they took their own sweet time germinating and now, like yours, they are just sitting there. I sure don't have an answer..

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My poor seedlings still in the field have had to struggle for life for two years. Huge drought last year and they did not receive very much additional water. They had to fight for their life in a field of nutsedge. Hopefully the blooms will improve because I am only getting 4-6 each day - it is still very early for bloom here. When the numbers pick up, hopefully seeing the dogs won't be so depressive! Right now they stick out like a sore thumb. I

The seedlings moved to the yard in amended beds look really good foliage and bud wise. Amazing what being planted in good "stuff" does for a daylily. Part of the problem with visiting the field is I don't not have the "keepers" from previous years blooming, only the maidens.

Nancy the ERxSPP cross was one of many fighting for it's life in the worst section of nutsedge. By the time we moved the seedlings to the yard, you had a hard time finding the clumps in that section. Not starving for nitrogen could do some wonderful things for them this year.

Royce the edge of the PHxVL cross is really getting nice and of course, it is my favorite color. Hopefully the genetics tied up in that plant will give you something great down the road.

Whadda ya mean quit messing with the twisting, twirling, deformed things. I love those big messy blooms swaying in the breeze. I do have a couple of THIN MAN seedlings that are more narrow than TM - one is a great clear red and the other is the color of LONGSTOCKING, rather a muddy color up close and personal but from a distance, nice. I have several more GENTLEMAN OF VERONA crosses to bloom - all I want is two GOV with clear color for the next generation. I can picture the bloom in my mind, I just can't drag the picture through the genetics of the plant!

Think I will goof off today and hit some nurseries - I am behind on my nursery hopping.

Brooke

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Finally a seedling yesterday that gave some promise in my edge, no eye attempts. This is one of the parents - WEDDING BAND x SPACECOAST STARBURST {{gwi:634040}} The other parent is another seedling of GRACE AND GRANDEUR x SIBERIAN SUMMER. I don't have a picture of it but it was gorgeous - note the was part. This was a seedling with great everything except it took half the summer to open properly, so it left. This is the seedling {{gwi:634041}}

Even though the two seedling parents used had very wide petals, this reverted back to the shape and width of WEDDING BAND. That's OK, I can work with it. Bloom size is about 5", three way branching with the Y at the top, 13 buds and appears to be a bud builder, will know more later. For a first year bloom, etc. I am encouraged. It has several relatives here to use it on plus I brought in tet SEAL OF APPROVAL. Who knows, in a couple more years, I might get something I have pictured in my mind.

I was too lazy to walk to the house and get the camera so the picture was taken on my back porch, under a roof. No touching up of the picture, the camera was on the idiot mode - automatic. I qualify for that title, camera idiot.

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

Very nice. I looked up SEAL OF APPROVAL on Tinker's. Looks like a good 'un. Congratulations. Sure starts the day off better, doesn't it?

Royce

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It sure helps when the dream in your head transmit into hope in the bloom. Right now some of the dreams in the head have turned into full blown nightmares - LOL!

The nice thing about the seedlings - there is always hope until they bloom.

Brooke

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Brooke, your seedling is beautiful. The edge is gorgeous, the color combination is unusual, and the lack of any eye is quite a bonus! (My minority opinion, I know.) Keep us posted -- I'd be buying that puppy in a heartbeat.

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Oh, Brooke, it's lovely! Thanks for showing us! Have you seen Chris Rogers' Beyond Borders? I think you might like it...although I bet yours will beat it for budcount!

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks max and gone - I know the big edge and eye people won't like this but this one really appeals to me. I have so many options on how to take this, I can hope for bigger and better ones in the future.

I have seen Rogers BEYOND BORDERS and do love it. The petal color on this one is a very white color instead of the pinkish hue. If you like the edge no eye daylily, check out Dan Trimmer's futures seedling page. OHMYGAWD, the ones he has coming through tet SEAL OF APPROVAL will make you drool. The problem with living in the north, by the time I bloom anything from SOA, he will have flooded the market with those beauties - we in the north are always a day (or year) late.

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

I know the big edge and eye people won't like this but this one really appeals to me.

Actually, I like big edges/eyes and in fact, am hybridizing for wider edges. Even so, I like your seedling.

'Course, I happen to think that just because I like a particular thing, that differences of opinion are very acceptable. Heck, even the skinny ones are a little acceptable. lol.

Oh yeah, you better get it in gear. I just read that Stamile is also hybridizing for edges without eyes. Maybe that is the next big thing.

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I already knew Stamile was working on them. All us great hybridizers are - ROTFLMBO! I got his EDGE OF SHANGRILA last year and it is gorgeous. I used it's pollen all over the place. I've loved the edge no eyed ones since the first time SIBERIAN SUMMER bloomed it's first bloom. It was love at first sight. I knew you would like the bloom because it has PINK edge.

Eventually I'll make the right PINK spuf that you will - maybe not love - but accept because of the gorgeous color. Again, ROTFLMBO!

Brooke