Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

Visit to Christie's Gardens

rsts
17 years ago

Yesterday, I visited Christie's Gardens. It is almost 100 miles from me. Although, I am wore out after such a long journey, it was enjoyable. Bought some daylilies that I haven't planted yet, because I been too wore out from the trip.

It was a fun trip. She has many daylilies and I was the only visitor yesterday. Her selling season ends June 15, but she let me visit because I told her Brooke said I was a Southern Gentlemen (Thanks Brooke). The following are pictures of a few blooms taken in her gardens. The first one is MORT MORSS, which Nancy sent me and I look forward to seeing bloom in my garden. The others are plants I bought. I bought a few more, but the pictures are washed out looking, because they were taken in harsh mid day lighting and the pictures don't do justice to the blooms.

MORT MORSS

{{gwi:634055}}

BELLA SERA

{{gwi:634056}}

FORBIDDEN FANTASY

{{gwi:634057}}

LAVENDER HEARTTHROB

{{gwi:634058}}

SPACECOAST SHARP TOOTH

{{gwi:634059}}

Comments (8)

• highjack
    17 years ago

Am I seeing a new goal here of adding teeth to some edges? Just because you didn't get a pic, doesn't mean you can't type the name does it? Or are you too tired after your fer trip to type all those names? Did you get anything for your eye and edge program?

It must be visiting week, we went to L'ville today to two gardens and thoroughly enjoyed them. I also saw SST blooming over there and thought it was really a "sharp" daylily. Both of these gardens not only have great daylilies on display but beautiful shade gardens too with lots of Japanese maples, hosta and other unique trees.

Hope you are rested after all that driving you did and can type what else followed you home.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brooke, the teeth thingy is coincidental. The main goal was to get some lavender, purple, or whatever else is close to that. Don't care whether or not they have teeth.

Wull, did you get any pictures or were YOU too tired, on your garden visiting?

My entire purchase list is:

AGELESS BEAUTY (From the LA)
    SAVANNAH ROYALTY (Joiners) Thanks to Nancy for pointing out that one.

From Christie's - mail and personal visit:
    ADAMAS
    BELLE COOK
    ORCHID BLUSH
    CHARTERED COURSE
    LEMON PARCHMENT
    FORBIDDEN FANTASY
    BELLA SERA
    TEXAS BLUE EYES
    SPACECOAST SHARP TOOTH
    TRANQUIL WATERS
    LAVENDER HEARTTHROB

Still want:
    IMPERIAL ELEGANCE
    JANE TRIMMER
    MORT'S MASTERPIECE (And, yes I RU'd it two years ago).

The want list is a little frustrating. I know of only one place that has all three and they won't answer emails. If I try to order singly, I bump into minimum order amounts, since they are not very expensive. I think I might put it on the Robin BB and see if I get any takers.

Royce

• numama
    17 years ago

Royce,
    WONDERFUL TRIP and PICTURES! OOOOHHHH AWWWWW. Love your choices!
    If you want to wait until spring to see how much my Jane Trimmer increases, I'd surely share!
    I need to post about my DL tour last weekend, haven't had the time but will soon. I'M TOO TRIED!...TIRED...LOL
    Nancy

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Yes, Nancy, we've been waiting to hear about your visits!

Royce, what a great trip! So excited for you about your purchases! Orchid Blush, Lemon Parchment, Spacecoast Sharp Tooth and Lavender Heartthrob were all new bloomers for me this year. Of them, Lemon Parchment was the clear winner in first year blooms.

I love the others, but the fans were smallish on a couple and on Orchid Blush, it had a beautiful flower that I had to look at on the ground where the scape fell over. I'm pretty sure it's just because it tried so hard on such small fans. SST just had a few issues (some times the dark ones...) but seems to be working it out with each bloom.

Anyway, I'm sure they will all be better next year. I ordered them all and they arrived via mail...which is a big advantage you have in going and picking them up...plus, you probably got more than double fans and they may still be blooming! They won't miss a beat!

Lucky you, a private garden visit! Thanks for telling us about it (and showing us!).

I'm planning to go visit some open gardens tomorrow near Charlottesville. It takes me about 2.5 hrs to get there, so I know what you mean about tired. I've never been to an "open gardens" regional thingie, so don't know quite what to expect...other than lots of people.

Oh yeah. Jane Trimmer was a bonus from Southwestgarden (he gives the best bonuses, I swear!). A very nice single fan...and it has been blooming. For a single fan, very nice flowers! It must really be something in a clump.

• highjack
    17 years ago

You certainly know how to shop! If you can't find JANE TRIMMER, why don't you look for JAMMIN' WITH JAYNE for your eyed program. I've only seen pics but it really looks pretty.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brooke, you are cruel!!! JANE TRIMMER is a $30 daylily. Need I say more??

Royce

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

GG, are you going to show us pictures of your garden visits, or do we have to beg? It is another mid 90s day here and I am going to be bored soon. Some nice pictures would help.

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Yes, Royce, you do have to beg...lol! I have mixed feelings about posting some, but I will because I know we enjoy pictures. I guess I didn't understand about the open gardens. It was a long ways for me to go (two hours) and I had high expectations. The first one I went to was not what I was expecting and I'll just leave it at that. The second one was a fabulous garden, but I felt like I had intruded on a private party. I guess it was just for the folks that had attended the regional. I don't think I'll bother again. It was rather uncomfortable on several levels, one of which was the extreme heat (a very hot day).

I then went to the Andre Viette Nursery (he does a radio show on Sats) and happened upon him giving a lecture on daylilies. The visit there was the most pleasant of all three. Everyone was nice, there was ice water and tea available, and we were actually thanked for coming. It was like a balm after the previous visit.

I'm uploading now (or whatever it's called)...and will start a new one.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES