Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

OK Royce, you asked for it

highjack
17 years ago

Some of the seedlings appearing around here.

{{gwi:634139}} CANTON HARBOR x VICTORIAN LACE

{{gwi:634140}} ED BROWN x VICTORIAN LACE

{{gwi:634141}} ED BROWN X WONDERS NEVER CEASE This is a first year bloomer.

{{gwi:634142}} CHARTERED COURSE X MANDALAY BAY - there is a sibling now blooming that is the same petal color but the edge is white, not gold

{{gwi:634143}} RIDE THE WIND X JT DAVIS

{{gwi:634144}} check out this pedigree S. STARBURST X (STREET URCHIN x IDA'S MAGIC) SU is a red with a light edge - you sure can't predict what genetics will come through

{{gwi:634145}} (ADMIRAL'S BRAID x CHANCE ENCOUNTER) X VICTORIAN LACE first year bloom

{{gwi:634146}} (WEDDING BAND x S. DIXIE CHICK) X WONDERS NEVER CEASE first year bloom

{{gwi:634147}} BUENOS AIRES X VICTORIAN LACE

Time to go piddle now.

Brooke

Comments (18)

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

I'm not Royce, but I'm overwhelmed anyway. ALL beautiful, but the two Victorian Lace offspring are unbelievable. Love how you got some of the Buenos Aires color into your seedling.

Still some room in my garden if you need a babsitter :o)

Chris

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If and when I ever do intro something I have you are on my list to see if it will survive a MI winter. I used BA to get the great color, height, scaping and she cooperated. Now I am having a problem composting things from her even when there is no improvement. I LOVE THAT COLOR!

The seedlings are for anyone to enjoy, or not, but that durn Royce has been bugging me something awful to show seedlings with the new camera. He was probably so overwhelmed by their beauty, he must be speechless. Or more likely, he was so underwhelmed he is practicing his tact and is struggling with it. He is such a southern gentleman and he might need a heap of tact for all of those. Or even worse, I hope he didn't have to call 9-1-1 from the shock.

Brooke

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Good job, Brooke! You've got some really great colors going. (I'm not as enthused about ruffling/edges as many people, and don't grow any with that feature, so I can't comment about their form. Sorry!) But I really like the colors of BAxVL and EBxVL. I like polychromes (and any flower where the color appears to wash over the petals like a sunset or watercolor). You have some real beauties!

Laurel

• rsts
    17 years ago

He was probably so overwhelmed by their beauty, he must be speechless.color>

Nope. Been using that handy dandy sprayer you recommended. Got up before sunup, even. What a shock to my body!

'Bout time you showed us some seedlings. Hope you don't think you are going to quit now.

I too, find the coloring of the BUENOS AIRES X VICTORIAN LACE seedling interesting. I would not have guessed the lighter color in mid petals.

However, my favorite is the ED BROWN X WONDERS NEVER CEASE seedling, because of the super ruffling. If you haven't figured it out yet (and I expect you have), I like ruffles. I also like the wide petals. You can send that one south, even though I already have a gazillion yellows. I can make room for one that outstanding.

Almost a tie with the above, is CHARTERED COURSE X MANDALAY BAY . Stamile has said CC was a good parent and I can believe it. I considered getting it, but think I will stick with RAT and SOT (Don't you just love those acronyms?). Lol You can send that one South. Registration is not necessary. 'Course, I would probably cross it with lavender to see what would happen.

You did not ask, but this is fun- my least favorites are ED BROWN x VICTORIAN LACE and (WEDDING BAND x S. DIXIE CHICK) X WONDERS NEVER CEASE. The last one appears to have a little sculpting and might be more pronounced next year. Nothing wrong with it, just too many other yellows out there, for example the EB x WNC seedling, which I think is much nicer.

The ruffles are nice on RIDE THE WIND X JT DAVIS, but the color is too bold for me. Just my taste. Lots of folks like bold.

S. STARBURST X (STREET URCHIN x IDA'S MAGIC) is interesting, as you mentioned. Looks like SU genes were omitted in the color. I have SU. Put it in the gh this year as the last one included. It sulked and I finally removed it without even using it. I was curious as to how the light edge might transmit to other things, especially the dark red or purple with hairline light edge.

Thanks for showing the pictures. I enjoy looking at them because it is enjoyable seeing seedlings of others and especially seeing what results from different crosses.

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Brook, this is a beatiful group of seedlings. But my favorite would be CANTON HARBOR x VICTORIAN LACE. Everytime I see this sherbert orange color I go Ahhhhhhh. I'm going to have to buy something this color, so I'll stop dwelling on all the cantelope colored ones. They make me hungry.
    Kathy

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Brooke, I just realized there are four crosses from Victorian Lace. I was initially referring to the last two, but I just looked at the Canton Harbor cross and it's beautiful, too. I don't know of many ruffled intros that are this color.

Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but it looks like it has a double edge of gold and a deeper tangerine/coral. VERY nice.

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Royce I know you have heard the old saying "size matters" -the EBxVL seedling is huge! I like the CCxMB cross but to me it is out of balance - 5" bloom on tall scapes but I sure like the color and the sib is pretty too - same color with light edge but again, small bloom, tall scapes. I hope she produces something in the same coloration, just bigger - say 7"! The JT DAVIS bloom has a sib in light lavender/pink which will be more you color and when you look at the bloom, it makes a perfect circle.

Thanks Kathy and Alexa - glad you like the CHxVL cross - the coloration of this one is even prettier in person because it has "shades" of the cooper/peachy color all over the petal - not a polychrome. Boy, I have such a way with words, don't I.

Laurel I should have some more open forms to appeal to you but need to increase my PictureTrail or dump a bunch of pics.

Has anyone one else found a plethora of midribs popping up in seedlings this year. I have tons of them and don't remember them from last year. Is this another possibl weather related phenom or I just got a bunch.

Gotta go water - Brooke

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Some of these are great seedlings Brooke, but my fav is BA x VC and then CC x MB. I've made some crosses using MB, and am looking forward to seeing what it produces. Thanks for sharing, and please post more of your seedling photos.
    Jan

• numama
    17 years ago

Brooke,
    Glad you FINALLY posted some seedling pics! Boy, oh boy are they ever pretty!
    I am PERSONALLY IN LOVE with BAxVL and would definitely BUY or trade for it as well as EBxWNC!
    The others I like best are CCxMB and ABxCE x VL. They would fit nicely into my bed titled Seedlings from my friends!
    GREAT JOB BROOKE, you have to be GIDDY with excitement!
    Now bring on some more!
    Nancy

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nope, not giddy - happy with the pretty faces but sorry to say, nothing worthy of intro'ing yet. Hopefully some of those big time hybridizer plants I brought in last fall and this spring will help me create the images in my head.

What does make me happy is when a second year bloom loses the mud color. Or when one I can't remember from last year jumps out at me this year. What doesn't make me happy is when the second year blooms appear and you scratch your head and wonder why you kept it. Sometimes those pesky plants do go backwards and do not improve the second (or third) year.

Oh well, hybridizing keeps me off the streets and out of bars - LOL!

Brooke

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

If you think they look good on the computer screen you should have seen them in person!

Janet

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

CHARTERED COURSE X MANDALAY BAY is a beauty.. The rest I think I would have to see in person before I start drooling all over myself. BTW, there is always room for another 5 inch daylily...

at least in my garden.

Edward

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Edward I DO NOT want you drooling all over yourself, particularly while sitting at your computer. Why sweetie, it could cause a short circuit and we would hate to lose you.

I agree about the 5" daylily, except when it sits on a super tall scape. I don't know which I dislike the most, tall scape and small flower or big flower and short scape. I guess it is my job to fix the error in the next generation.

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

I will try not to electricute myself. BTW, I discovered that I had raved about the same seedling in a previous thread. In that one there was a clump picture. At least I am consistant.

Edward

• highjack
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Edward I remembered you like the clump photo I showed of the cross. You are indeed consistant and I can usually tell what will appeal to you. You love the big bold eyes and edges but I find it interesting you have brought in mostly super ruffled pastel beauties to hybridize. Whatcha gonna do when your seedlings resemble mine - pale, ruffled and boring.

Brooke

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

"Whatcha gonna do when your seedlings resemble mine "

Display them prominantly and blush whenever someone says something nice about them.

• rsts
    17 years ago

Great answer Edward. Good luck!

Royce

• numama
    17 years ago

Y'alls ramblings are quite enjoyable to read!
    Nancy