Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

A little rambling - - - Your favorite lavender/purple?

rsts
17 years ago

I am slightly considering getting a purple/lavender, preferably with a light edge. Just wonder what your favorite is in that category?

Last year I bought LAKE EFFECT. It bloomed this year, in the greenhouse and I thought it was so-so. I was not disappointed with it, but neither was I terribly thrilled over it. I also bought VATICAN CITY last year, but it bloomed more reddish than purple. I also bought CLOTHED IN GLORY last year, but it bloomed more pink than lavender.

I had VIKING MAGIC and lost it to rust. I really liked it, but it was a bit of a wimp. Have been tempted to get it again, but haven't, because it was wimpy.

I have been thinking seriously about getting LAVENDER HEARTTHROB. I ordered ADAMAS from Memory Jordan and would have ordered LH, but she had sold out of it. BTW, I killed ADAMAS, by putting too much nitrogen around it. Rather than reorder it, I bought AGELESS BEAUTY on the Auction. Just won it and have not heard from the seller yet.

Nancy sent me MORT MORSS and I might not even need another one. Hmmmm. Still thinking.

Brooke, I used the new sprayer today and it is a joy.

Comments (20)

• numama
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey Royce,
    I don't have any scapes on my fan of Mort Morss. I'm thinking I won't get to see bloom until next season. They say good things come to those who wait...we shall see. I would think it to produce some pretties!

Purples...all shades...sizes...etc. are the ones I love most. Here are some lav's I am really liking as far as prettiness goes and to get your thinking cap going:
    BLUE PINK BEAUTY...This one is AWESOME how the blue pink color blends into an overall lavender color. This is one of its blooms this year being established 3 years now.
    BLUE PINK BEAUTY
    {{gwi:634219}}
    A new arrival I rec'd this season DOYLE PIERCE was really beautiful but it being a new arrival cannot lead me to recommend it as I just don't know what its true color will be once it is established.
    DOYLE PIERCE 2nd BL on NEW ARR.
    {{gwi:634220}}
    Another I have but only in my garden a year is LOUISE LEMLY (Bob Selman)
    {{gwi:634222}}
    JENNY BUTTERFIELD in my garden two years now
    {{gwi:634223}}
    PARIS OVERTURE Established in my garden
    {{gwi:634224}}
    MAGIC AMETHYST Established in my garden...MY FAVORITE PICK OF ALL MY suggestions
    {{gwi:634225}}

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I'm sorry I can't help you - I just planted a handful of purples/lavenders in my garden, but have no track record for them. One southern newbie put up a rebloom scape ('Evening Harmony'), and it was a disappointing reddish-lavender color, not nearly as purple as I'd hoped. I hope it improves, or I'll donate it to my mother's unlabeled daylily patch. I also planted 'Dallas Star,' and 'Wayside King Royale,' but I'm having a senior moment and not remembering the other two. Anyhow, I've seen some awesome purples in recent clump and twin photo postings - I hope you find some winners for your garden.

Laurel

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

In a couple of years I may introduce this one. It is my only one in that colour family.

{{gwi:630518}}

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Edward!!! What a perfect bloom! Give us some stats, please. Parents? Size? Dormant?

Royce - Sorry, but I have no recommendations. I'm in the same boat at Laurel. I DO like Nancy's Magic Amethyst! Blue Pink Beauty is a looker too, but it seems more pink than lavender to me. Paris Overture is pretty and looks very lavenderish (new word).

Kathy

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

The parents are Lori Goldston and Abilene Nan. I bought all there was of this seedling off of Tommy Maddox. He didn't think it was worth keeping but for me it was love at first sight.

Edward

• highjack
    17 years ago

Royce I brought in some purples this past year but have only seen LONE WOLF (Smith) bloom so far on FL time. It is dark with a small light edge. Last fall I got ROYAL PRESENSE & MOONLIGHT SAIL (Stamile) but haven't seen them bloom yet. I think RP is a purple purple but think MS is more a reddish purple but can't say for sure yet. Both have scapes. I also have a couple of Salter purples that bloomed last year and the memory cell says dark, but will know in another week or two. I've just added some purples to the mix, so don't have much to compare.

Now can I ramble in your thread - hubby went to the Regional and TWO, let me repeat, TWO women were taking better pictures than he was on the purple/red/hard to photograph dark blooms. He finally decided that regardless of how he worked the camera with all the various things you do to it - he (nor I) could take a decent pic of a dark purple without manipulating it on the computer. I wouldn't even attempt a purple anymore. Heck, maybe that is why I didn't have a lot of purples, I couldn't take the picture of one.

His b'day was in April and he couldn't think of anything he wanted so today, I wished him a Happy Birthday. He now owns a new Nikon D-200, I think, and he took pictures of everything dark around here and it did a GREAT job of getting the color correct. When you can take a picture of a dark flower in the blazing sun at 3 p.m. and recognize the bloom, it is a good camera. On the downside of it, it doesn't have the recorder with it - it is back to pen and paper for ID'ing them. Once he has time to actually read the manual, you might even be able to smell the bloom.

Now for some seedling rambling - the first couple of seedlings out of WONDERS NEVER CEASE were not impressive. I guess the pretty ones might be shy because they are starting to pop out now and all I can say is WOW! Some will definitely stick around for another year or two bloom time. And these were from many different crosses. It has actually been fun in the field for a couple of days.

I had also been disappointed in seedlings from RIBBONS AND THINGS but that has now changed too. The surprise has been the ones from RICTER that are showing promise. It had been a bonus when I bought RAT and did not use it as much. The first year RICTER bloomed on short scapes, larger pink flower and not great bud count. Last year the scapes shot up, better branching and bud count and every fan rebloomed - even during our major drought when almost nothing else rebloomed.

Seedling oddities - has anyone ever had seedling blooms open but the sepals are all stuck together? The blooms have so much substance I don't know if this is the reason or just an oddity or the super dry conditions they are growing in. RIBBON AND THINGS bloomed first two blooms today - one wide open flat and the other bloom had two of the sepals stuck together like some of the seedlings. This oddity is on seedlings in the field, not the seedlings in the garden area. The garden seedlings have had more supplemental water and better soil than the ones in the field but I also was paying lots of attention to substance that year.

Royce glad you like the sprayer - it certainly makes a dreadful job much, much easier. If anyone else wants to know about any big boy toys, my hubby probably already has them or is strongly considering getting them.

OK, I'm done rambling - thanks for letting me tack on to your ramble.

Brooke

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Brooke, when I take a picture of a flower, the next picture is of the label...with the memory cards we get now, you have plenty of space. It really helps and I can delete the label ones later when I save the pics with names.

Royce, Lavender Heartthrob is new this year, but it has had nice flowers, given that. Sorry I can't give you more info on it. I put it in last fall, so at least we know it makes it through the winters okay.

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy, thanks for the comments and pictures. All are nice, but I think DOYLE PIERCE is the one I would most like to have. Figures, since it is the most expensive. Found it at one place for $90 SF, but they were sold out. Don't think I want it enough to pay more. I might just go with what I have and possibly keep an eye on the auction. I am excited over using MORT MORSS. In researching further, it appears CLOTHED IN GLORY throws some interesting kids and perhaps LAKE EFFECT and even VATICAN CITY might be interesting, if crossed to something good. BTW, I have ED BROWN. As Brooke and I have discussed, the EB is sorta wimpy. If you want to try it, I can send you some in September. I think all the fans are grown together and I will have to cut it. Too hot to do that now, might cause rot. I saw your post on the Discussion side and really like SAVANNAH ROYALTY. Wish I had bought that last year instead of LINDA DANIEL, although LD is ok.

Edward, your seedling is nice. Hope it works out on the registration.

Brooke, congratulations on the new camera (for your husband's birthday). Hope you will show us lots of pictures now. Glad you are getting some nice seedlings from WNC. I noticed that SHERRY LANE CARR is one of its parents. I have gotten some nice ones from SLC. WONDER OF IT ALL is very beautiful, judging only from the picture and is a child of WNC. I really like WOIA, but already have more decent yellows than anything else. Don't recall having the sepals stick and cause a bloom to not open. Finished spraying the seedling patch for grass today. What a mess! I suspect that area will end up as a disaster. The darn seeds, then seedlings, just sat there while the weeds and grass grew wonderfully well.

Thanks to others for the comments. I am still thinking some on the purple/lavender thing.

Royce

• numama
    17 years ago

Well Royce I'm really anxious to see what you come up with!
    I've only got one fan of DP. I would rather have Lake Effect over Ed Brown.
    Purples are my absolute favorite...worry about getting those first then the others whenever.
    I'll probably get Ed this weekend at one of the DL tour sales. I am very anxious for the weekend and very curious to see what is availabe right here around me!
    Brooke, I did have that oddity happen not too long ago. One of my potted new arrivals....opened up partway with all the sepals stuck together...wished I had taken a pic now but was so bum fuzzled as to what would cause that, I did not even think to take a pic! I'm usually too hurried in the morning trying to get to work on time! You certainly do not have your bummed out tone as you did when the seedlings started so hope it is getting better for ya and we get to see some pics soon! My favorite pics to look at are of seedlings!
    Take care,
    Nancy

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy, I already have a fan of LAKE EFFECT tagged for you. It still has a couple of pods on it though. You are not limited to just one plant from me. However, it might be better to get EB elsewhere. Perhaps you will get a better plant. Some have reported it is an excellent grower and others have reported it is a wimp. Mine is a wimp.

GG, I now remember one of the reasons I was interested in LAVENDER HEARTTHROB is that the blooms are supposed to be large (7").

I guess it's sort of funny, but in spring, when most people are excited about ordering plants, I don't order many, if any. However, from now to September, is my time of temptation. I have now seen my seedlings bloom and am thinking of what I want for hybridizing next year.

Brooke, SPACECOAST PICOTEE PRINCE bloomed yesterday. I like it very much. The eye and edge has a slightly reddish color, which I did not know. I have been good and snapped off the scape after seeing the bloom. Let it rest for next year.

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I said this was my time of temptation. I just sent the Joiners an email to see if they still have SAVANNAH ROYALTY. It's Nancy's fault. I did not even know SR existed.

• highjack
    17 years ago

Shame on Nancy, again. First she sends Japanese beetles to my house and now she has been a vixen and tempted you and you gave in.

SPP bloomed reddish purple eye and edge for you? Wow, it is a solid purple here.......strange. My SPP was moved and hasn't bloomed yet - it will be interesting to see if disturbing it did anything to the color on mine.

I had a PREMIER SURPRISE today with the plant called that -I got PS from Salters in fall of '04 and it didn't like to swim that winter. It came back as one tiny fan last spring but eventually sent up a small scape in late fall and bloomed. It was rather cool and the color was more pink than purple. Today it had FFO and it is pink. I would say I have the wrong plant. On the upside, it is a gorgeous pink with big edge which didn't keep me from dabbin' on it. It now has a garden name of UNKNOWN SALTER.

Brooke

• numama
    17 years ago

Shame on me as I slap my hand! Royce I so love SR! I'll be looking for her this weekend even tho she reminds me of Lady Betty Fretz which I added to my garden last year....very small fan....didn't see it bloom and probably won't this year either! I'll be she would produce some double edged beauties....we would hope anyway!
    Brooke, I'm seeing the JBs everyday now! They seem to be a little earlier this year as they are going for stuff I've not seen them on before like some of my wildflowers and my butterfly bushes. I sure wish my obedient plants would bloom soon to distract them!
    Nancy

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy, got an email back from Jan Joiner stating they still have SR. As the saying goes "the check is in the mail". In this case it really is. I should get a double fan and will be glad to send you one if you don't buy it first. I am very glad to get it. I had been wishing for GILDED BY GRACE, by Gaskins. However, it lists for $200, which I am not willing to pay. I think I will like SR about as well and it is much cheaper. The double edges, as you noted, is what I want.

Brooke, we are somewhat patiently, waiting for pictures.

Royce

• highjack
    17 years ago

Royce I haven't even been able to pick up the new camera, forget looking through the view finder. He has been taking pics for three days now.

Here is the only seedling pic he has taken so far {{gwi:634226}} This is CHARTERED COURSE x MANDALAY BAY, from purchased seed from Dan Trimmer's son. This is a second year blooming seedling. I love the color and the bloom but the scapes are really tall for a 5" bloom, good b/c and branching for a second year.

I did upload some of the pics taken the last few days but will put them in the regular section. I have a ton more to upload but I have some serious chores to still complete tonight.

Brooke

• numama
    17 years ago

Well Brooke, you answered my question from the discussion forum. And here I thought it was you taking the pics! I love those BIG FAT ruffles on your CCxMB seedling! Now can I get that in Deep purple with a light lavendar eye and white fat ruffled edge to go with this seedling? LOL!
    It is beautiful!
    Royce, how could I turn down that offer? I would LOVE to have a piece of SR. I got a boxful of Gaskin seedlings today and OMG can I hardly wait to see these babies bloom! Maybe I could interest you into one of these for Lake Effect?
    One of the seedlings is Braided Edgings x Gilded by Grace.
    The others are: Open My EyesxDove In Flight....Mind you these were bonuses so I have no clue what they will look like. The other seedlings I won on the auction that I have extra are: A22, A9, A14, A19. You can go to lily auction and do a search of Gaskins click on closed, should pop up a list of her closed auctions so you could see the pictures.
    Nancy

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Brooke, that is a truly wonderful seedling. On the topic of Lake Effect, I am a little grumpy. You know that I ordered a few daylilies for my mother-inlaw for Christmas and her birthday. Well, the seller sent HER a bonus of Lake Effect.

Edward

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brooke, I don't know colors all that well. However, the following is a pic I took of SPP. The color is dead on. The funny thing is that I was so busy taking pictures and just looking that only when I saw the color on the monitor was I surprised. I went back out to look at the actual bloom and as I said, the color is dead on.

{{gwi:634227}}

Your seedling is beautiful. It reminds me a little of SPACECOAST STARBURST, but with much better color than I ever got from SS.

Nancy, I apologize, but have not had time to look at the seedlings you mentioned. Go ahead and plant them. You have already sent me plenty in MORT MORSS. I am really looking forward to hybridizing with it. I have collected all pods from the daylilies now. I need you to forward me your address and when I get SR, I will forward that and a fan of LAKE EFFECT.

Royce

• numama
    17 years ago

No problem Royce....if you change your mind you know how to reach me. I will be very interested as I said earlier to see what you come up with.
    Nancy

• highjack
    17 years ago

Royce you know colors as good as I do - heaven forbid I would intro something because someone else would have to write the description of the color. Hubby and I don't agree on color, neither one of us can describe it, how many ways can you describe the color purple. I have three ways - purple purple, red purple, light purple - well actually I have another one - muddy purple is used here quite often.

My SPP has scapes but no blooms yet. When it opens I will actually take a good look at it. It could be reddish purple - you know I kind of fly by the eyed plants and don't get an indepth look at them.

Brooke

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?