Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tweetypye

Any suggestions for public gardens to visit?

tweetypye
17 years ago

My sister and I are planning a driving trip in July, and would love to visit a few public gardens, dl farms, etc. We want to stay in the southeast, preferably in the vicinity of north Al, north Ga., eastern Tenn, southwest S.C. etc. We have thought about driving over to Savannah, then up to Charleston. Do any of you have any suggestions, or know of any nice gardens we could visit in these areas? I would appreciate all your ideas.

Thanks,

Jan

Comments (9)

• highjack
    17 years ago

Somewhere on the AHS site there should be a list of display gardens and in the area you are planning to visit, there are probably a lot of them.

Brooke

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Brooke, I'll check it out.

Jan

• rsts
    17 years ago

I have provided a link to the AHS page showing daylily gardens. The July time frame will probably make it a little tough for GA gardens.

The Joiners are located in Savannah, but their garden is closed in July.

I have never visited it, but have read that Tim Bell has one of the most beautiful gardens in daylilydom. He is in South GA. It would probably still be a nice garden to visit, since he appears to have many plants other than daylilies in the garden.

I visited Alcovy Daylily Farm, about 50 miles east of Atlanta, about 15 years ago. Bought my very first daylily there. I think I spent about $15 and they were as gracious as if I had spent $1,500. Even served me some homemade Banana Nut Bread. At the time I visited, it was mostly a daylily garden, so don't know what it would be like in July. If interested, you could call them, as they are very nice. Wish they were closer.

Gregg Connell (Favorite Things Daylily Garden) is located in North GA (Calhoun). I have never visited, but have bought from Gregg, on the Auction and he was a pleasure to deal with. Don't know anything about his garden.

Someone from Ft. Payne, that used to post here, has visited Gregg, I think. She probably also has an outstanding garden, especially now, since she just returned from a raid to Arkansas. Lessee, I believe her name was Ellie somethingorother. Oh yeah, MizEllie.

Hope you have a very nice trip.

Royce

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS

• highjack
    17 years ago

Maybe mizellie is like Edward and abandoned us for another forum. I finally found a few minutes today and found dear Edward commenting on every seedling posted but for us, a no show.

Since we are on the subject of no shows - where is the boy Gerard. Goodness, last I heard he was excavating bricks out of his garden and he has now disappeared.

If you want to see lots of daylilies in bloom in July, ya'll should be driving north!

Brooke

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Jan, I feel a bit silly suggesting this to you, but last month I visited the Birmingham Botanical Garden(s). It was lovely...and free! If that's on your way (and you haven't been there already), it's worth a visit.

• numama
    17 years ago

Ellie went to Gregg's place just recently. She posted in the discussions forum about her trip. I'd say if you are that close to her you should stop and see her place on the way!
    Nancy

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Yes Brooke, I am cheating on you with Tinker's.

Edward

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I know it will be kind of late for dl's but we just love seeing gardens, doesn't have to be daylily gardens, although, they are my favorite! :) Where we find some nice gardens will determine which way we travel, but we prefer to go north, towards the areas I spoke of above. It's hot as hades in Fl. in July so we aren't going south, that's for sure! I thought the mountains or the east coast where we might get some cooling breeze from the Atlantic. I've been to Charleston once before, but my sister hasn't, so we may head in that direction. Right now, we just know that we are going somewhere! May have to stop off at Ellie's if we travel up that way. I'm sure her garden would be worth visiting, and hopefully, it's free!!! Just teasing Ellie. :)
    Jan

• tweetypye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, folks, we've decided where to go. Just hope we find some nice gardens in the area. Neither of us has ever been to Savannah, so that's our destination. I've been researching it online, and it looks like a very beautiful place. Love all the history behind it. So, if anyone has ever been there, and can give us some tips on what to see and do, please feel free to do so.
    Thanks,
    Jan

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting