Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maxbaerhems

I Like To Piddle Too!

MaxBaerHems
17 years ago

I don't if you all will enjoy any of these or not....I'll post a few...and see....I like to piddle too....

Before and After...How I Piddle

Before:

{{gwi:634235}}

After:

{{gwi:634236}}

Comments (33)

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Before:
    {{gwi:634237}}

After:
    {{gwi:634238}}

• numama
    17 years ago

Oh NICE! I'll bet your wife LOVES IT when you piddle! LOL!
    Great Job Rick!
    Nancy

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL...Thanks Nancy
    Yes, she does..but these are just some pic's of clients places...I do when out piddling in the Summer heat...:) I'll put up some more..... I'll toss up a few from my place too...:) Still waiting for my Daylilies to bust out..LOL..getting close now......

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Wow! Someone's good at masonry! Especially love the curved walkway. Thanks for the pics.

Chris

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Before:
    {{gwi:634239}}

After:
    {{gwi:634240}}

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Chris....it's fun...as long as it's not 95 degrees and Humid...LOL
    I'll post my walkway, tomorrow....time to crash and burn...tonight...another long day...tomorrow...:)

• numama
    17 years ago

WOW Rick! You PIDDLE BIG don't you! You need some DLs in that front bed!
    LOL!
    Nancy

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Hey, I LIKE how you piddle! Large-scale gardening therapy, gotta love it. I forgot that you work on other people's properties, too. That curved walk with a raised bed is just wonderful.

Laurel

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I try an leave a Daylily or two...on every job...:) I do my best to create Future Daylily Addicts...LOL

Before:
    {{gwi:634241}}

After:
    {{gwi:634242}}

Before:
    {{gwi:634243}}

After:
    {{gwi:634245}}

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Beautiful. This is like one of those make-over tv shows...but without commercials. Love it...post more!
    Kathy

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

OMG!!!!! Can you move to VA???! These are TERIFFIC! Hmmm. I didn't think piddling had work in it....and these look like lots of work! You are one talented person, Rick!

• mizellie
    17 years ago

I love it ( all ) Rick. But the first after, ( curved walkway ) really made me see dls there. Come piddle with me...Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Noooooooo Rick, that is not piddling' - that involves heavy work and sweat. Somewhere here in the conversations area several of us go into great detail on piddlin' and honey, you need lessons because those pics don't qualify as piddlin'.

Brooke

• marcia_m
    17 years ago

Superb, Rick! Wish you lived nearer :-)

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Someone needs to work on their definition of piddle. That is work; and lots of it.

Edward

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm glad you guy's are enjoying some of my Piddlin...LOL I look at it like this. If it's Fun..and allows one to feel relaxed when done...it's Piddlin...if it's 95 and humid...well I gotta admit..I piddle at a snails pace..LOL All I can say..bottom line....is it sure beats "Weed'in"...hahaha
    Gonegardening...wish I could.....I'm from Va..grew up in Staunton, Va

Ellie...I did my own walkways like that...and Yup you guessed it..the entire length of the walkway..on both sides id filled with Daylilies now..just waitin to grow up and get big...I'll attach a few pic's..I think I put some of them up a few months ago...Hmmm.. getting Old and remembering..is tuff..LOL Well, anyway..I'll post a few..hope to to bore anyone....

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Before:
    {{gwi:634247}}

After:
    {{gwi:634249}}

• numama
    17 years ago

If that is piddlin, I'd like to see your hard work! LOL!
    I'm amazed! JUST BEAUTIFUL!
    Nancy

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well geeee Ok Nancy...if you must have a peek....LOL
    Now this...was NOT piddlin...this was a back buster...for sure.........

{{gwi:634251}}

{{gwi:634253}}

• butterflychaser
    17 years ago

OMG, that's awesome!!! Wish I could afford to have you do some pittling over here at my place. It wouldn't look like the same place when you left! Wow, the difference in the before and after shots are incredible! Breathtaking! Pittle on! You're doing the world a favor.

NancyAnn

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

OMG!!!!! Boy I sure am glad I decided to spend a little extra time on my pc this afternoon. What a treat, Rick. Your work is marvelous. If that is your definition of "piddleing", come on down to my place and we'll do some real work!!
    Seriouly, you are very talented, my friend, and I've enjoyed all your photos. If you have more, please share. :)
    Jan

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Rick, how about a nice trip to Maine where it's really been piddling for about a month now...oh, and by the way, while your here, could you please put in a stone walkway and wall? Love your work, lucky clients.
    Marilyn

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you ALL, very much for your very kind comments! I have fun doing what I do, except when the heat and humidity kick this Old Mans butt. It is really fun to try and make a few square feet of dirst/soil and turn it into something that you can enjoy and appreciate. I'll toss up a few from my place...now they won't be as nice as the "Clients" places..cause they have "Bucks".....I don't....LOL Anyway...here are a few of some new beds I made last year and added to this year (Early Spring).......AS you will see, I like mulch, not weeds....hehehe Just try and picture in your minds eye...that over the next few years the small fans of Daylilies will turn into Clumps...and the Liriope will form nice little clumps of varigated foliage to compliment the daylilies (Well I hope it will) :) This Summer will involve expanding these same beds by another 18 inches in depth, to add another row of the Babies.... I will, in my spare time, be adding a large retaining wall and patio on the left side of my yard (Wasted Space Now. This will involve an outdoor fireplace and will have (Planned Space) for a hot tub (Next Year Hopefully. I will post pic's this Summer as it slowly evolves....
    If you guy's tire of these pic's and before and afters...please just holler and I'll stop putting them up here...Don't wanna bore anyone...:)
    Ok, a few of a couple of my Daylily beds....

{{gwi:634255}}

{{gwi:634257}}

{{gwi:634259}}

{{gwi:634261}}

• rsts
    17 years ago

Rick, I don't think anyone is tiring of the pictures. However, you are cheating. All this talk of mulch and then you tell us you can get it at a good price by the large truck load. I can get pine fines at a good price, but the place is 70 miles from me and I don't have a dump truck. Would love to find something closer and am still looking.

Royce

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Rick, your personal pics are every bit as nice as your clients places. I love all the stone work and pathways. Wish I could afford to put in nice stone walkways like that. As for getting tired of your photos, never!!! Just keep posting and we'll keep looking, and envying, I might add!
    Jan

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Rick,
    I brought my husband in here last night to look at your pics. He was impressed. And then I told him that in a couple of years, after he retires, this is what I want him to do in our yard. He told me that by the time he retires he'll be too old for that kind of work. I said, no, no, no...Rick's retired and HE can do it! Anything Rick can do, YOU can do twice as good, honey!!!

My husband doesn't like you, Rick.
    :-)
    Kathy

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Royce....can you rent a small dump truck for a half day? I know here, even Home Depot will rent theirs out by the hour.....Just a thought...might try Enterprise too...if you have one around. I WISH I could get some Pine Fines...not here...:(

Thank you Jan....I'm glad you enjoy them..:) The stone/pavers aren't that expensive..it's the freight/transportation that costs so much....the Labor...LOL (ME) is cheap....LOL

Kathy...Geeeee I WAS going to take a Trip to Florida this year to see my Little Sis...now i'm Skerred...LOL
    Nothing worse then a Hubby that dosen't like a fella...LOL
    Tell him it's not hard to do,,,just that at Retirement age..you do it a "Little" slower...thus the (Piddle)..hehehe
    Thanks Guy's...I'll post a few more this weekend if ya'll like to see them...Have a Wonderful Daylily weekend!
    Rick

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A Little Piddle here....A lLittle Piddle there....A Little Piddle.....everywhere!

A series of 10 "After" pic's...gotta love that Mulch...LOL

{{gwi:634262}}

{{gwi:634264}}

{{gwi:634265}}

{{gwi:634266}}

{{gwi:634267}}

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

{{gwi:634268}}

{{gwi:634269}}

{{gwi:634270}}

{{gwi:634272}}

{{gwi:634274}}

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Hi Rick,
    How do you keep the mulch from sliding down the hill? Mine would eventually slide from just the sprinklers hitting it. And a heavy rain storm would really make a mess. Of course, I don't have any hills in my yard, but I'm still curious.
    What kind of tree is that with the white blossoms? Looks like a dogwood, but they like shade.
    I love the curves in the patio...very pleasing to the eye.
    Kathy

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Kathy,
    Hills are not a problem...with proper placement of trees/shrubs/perennials and boulders. In this homes case it also has an under mulch drip system for all of it's beds. Thus as you pointed out the Dogwood in the backyard, that normally prefers a tree line edge or at least dappled shade, it grows wonderfully in full sun (morning and early afternoon). The drip system cools the roots along with the mulch and maintains a nice constant moisture balance and constant ground temprature. Many other's like the Redbud do well this way too. I would not normally plant one in such a location without this type of help for it. Oh, also the piping for the drip system running horizontally on the bank slope helps maintain the mulch base too. I guess you would just say the combination of it all, makes it work, very well. The White blooms you see on the tree at the top of the driveway is a Crabapple (Sargents)...just in case you were looking at that one.

Rick

• MaxBaerHems
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A few more Before and After's.....

Before:
    {{gwi:634275}}

After:
    {{gwi:634276}}

Before:
    {{gwi:634277}}

After:
    {{gwi:634278}}

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Very nice, Rick. Love the brick terrace. You're a handy guy to have around, aren't you?
    More photos please! :)
    Jan