Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizellie_gw

A Tree for Brooke..

mizellie
17 years ago

I thought you might like to see one of my Crape myrtles That are starting to bloom. Not full yet but I was afraid the hated J. beetles would get it first...Notice the braided , twisted trunk....Ellie

{{gwi:634342}}

Comments (14)

• numama
    17 years ago

Ellie it might be for Brooke but that is gorgeous! My crepe myrtles are about 2 feet tall and just starting to bloom. Can I train them by braiding the branches? How'd you do that?! JUST GORGEOUS!
    Nancy

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy, while the limbs are easily bent without breaking, just twist them in any ole which away. I have 6 or 7 different ones and all but one are braided.. Or just twist them together and create your own pattern.. Have fun with them...Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Brooke thanks you and says WOW. Did you do the twisting yourself Ellie.

Brooke

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes Brooke. I twisted and braided them all when they were small and tender. It looks really cool when they are old enough for the bark to peel..Ellie

• numama
    17 years ago

Ellie,
    Should I do this to mine after they are done blooming or does it matter?
    Nancy

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Ellie,

Do you have to keep trimming off new sprouts that come up from the ground? I've always wanted to do that, but never have - I think it looks so cool :)
    And it makes the Crape Myrtle look so much more neat & tidy.
    BEAUTIFUL!!!

When I planted my Crape Myrtles 11-12 years ago, they were not above-ground hardy in my area. They froze back to the ground every year. So I planted them in flower beds as small shrubs. But the past 6-7 or so years they don't freeze back anymore, and they are starting to get really huge. I trim them back (to the ground) every few years after they bloom - and this is the year...........I may try braiding them next year when they grow back out.

Tammy

• highjack
    17 years ago

I have the same problem that Tammy has - some winters everything above ground dies and they resprout from the rootball. When they say hardy in my zone, it means be prepared for them to die back if it gets to zero for a couple of days. I would love to try the tree effect, but I would just be asking for a nasty winter.

Brooke

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flower-lover.. I prune mine back every year but only to the fork. That way they don't get really tall but have a good trunk.I di lose one this year. It was purple also but not the same shade as this one. Prune them in Feburary. I sometimes do it in Jan but in the north I would wait until Feb..

Nancy, wait until you prune them in the spring then you can get them all in one whack. Saves a little time.

Tammy, I forgot. yes I do have to trim off the suckers sometimes. Usually once or twice a year. Trim them blow the ground then they won't be as much a nuisance...

Crape Myrtle bushes are pretty Brooke. That is if you don't allow to many suckers. They will surly get out of hand here....Ellie

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A new pic of the same tree. it's looking good huh?...Ellie

{{gwi:634344}}

I don't know why the pic is so dark...

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

That baby is really blooming pretty. Mine don't bloom that well, but then the JB's really tear them up - they do love crape myrtles :(
    I was thinking of trying a systemic insecticide on them this year, but never got around to it.

Very beautiful, Ellie!!

Tammy

• highjack
    17 years ago

I sure wish I could reliably grow one as a tree. My crepes are blooming now and are gorgeous. Last year was mild enough I didn't get the die back. Thanks Ellie.

Brooke

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Where are the pics. Brooke?...Ellie

• highjack
    17 years ago

Ellie the pics are residing on the hard drive and someday, will be uploaded to PT to send. Just think how nice it will be when I show pics in January of something blooming. If it ever rained around here, I might be able to do it then but the weather isn't cooperating.

Brooke

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brooke, you should see my yard..it looks like fall here. The ground is thick with leaves that are falling from the trees. I am trying to water a little but no way can I water 40 and 50 ft. trees.. I am having enough trouble trying to water my dls....Ellie

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz