Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_lover5

Hostas and stuff...............LOTS of pics

flower_lover5
17 years ago

Thought I'd take a break from daylilies yesterday and play with the hostas a little. I bought lots of hostas last year, and they are still all in pots :(

Overwintering hostas in pots is more risky (for me) than daylilies. I lost several, but the most heartbreaking was my big new Seventh Heaven:

{{gwi:634374}}
I also lost T-Rex, Gone Fishin, Bud Is Wiser, Lakeside Cup Up and many others.

(And thanks to Jan, if she reads this, for the wonderful watermark she made me :)

I raided (through the mail) Lakeside Acres and Jim's Hostas last year.

Anyway, here's some more pics:

Striptease (had this one since 1998) - this was a division taken from the original plant years ago

{{gwi:634375}}

Sum & Substance (also a division taken from the plant I bought in '98)

{{gwi:634376}}

And here's a picture of both with a 5-gallon bucket in between them just to show their size (they're humungous)

{{gwi:634377}}

And here's one I have a question about. I received this as 'Holiday White Streaked', but it appears to be reverting back to something. Any opinions?

{{gwi:634378}}
{{gwi:634380}}

Anyway, more pics...........

Lakeside Full Tide

{{gwi:634381}}

Hot Lips

{{gwi:634383}}
Hot Lips stems (they have pink on them as well as red - very pretty)

{{gwi:634385}}

Mini Haha

{{gwi:634387}}

Rosedale Blendmaster

{{gwi:634389}}

Kiwi Full Monty

{{gwi:634391}}

Wolverine (a cheapy, but I love the mound it makes :)

{{gwi:634393}}

Chickadee

{{gwi:634395}}

Lakeside Shoremaster

{{gwi:634397}}

Ice Age Trail (love this one)

{{gwi:634399}}

Lakeside Dot Com

{{gwi:634401}}

Lakeside Ragtime

{{gwi:634403}}

Rosedale Barnie - love the blooms on this one

{{gwi:634405}}

Lakeside Doodad (slow grower)

{{gwi:634407}}

Falling Waters

{{gwi:634409}}

Frosted Mini Muffins

{{gwi:634411}}

Kiwi Fresh Salad

{{gwi:634413}}

Dorothy Benedict

{{gwi:634414}}

Savannah Supreme - if you like streaked hostas, this is a good (and fairly cheap as opposed to the one above) one.

I've had it for years, and have never had it throw a reverted eye

{{gwi:634415}}

Galaxy

{{gwi:634416}}

Lakeside Cupid's Cup

{{gwi:634417}}

Lakeside Hoola Hoop

{{gwi:634418}}

Red Dragon - don't know what the fuss is over this one

{{gwi:634419}}
Red Dragon stems

{{gwi:634420}}

Pink Panther

{{gwi:634421}}

Maui Blue Kitten

{{gwi:634423}}

Lakeside Gold Point

{{gwi:634425}}

Lakeside Alex Andra

{{gwi:634426}}

Lakeside Jazzy Jane

{{gwi:634427}}

Here's a pic of the big OLD Hydrangea behind my house. Should have taken the picture a week or two ago, but this thing is huge & blooms every year. I have no idea how old it is - it's at least 20 years old. I've taken several starts from it & planted in different areas, but can't get a single one of them to bloom :(

{{gwi:634428}}
{{gwi:634430}}

And here's something I ALWAYS look forward to in the summer - my Casa Blanca Lily (about 6 ft. tall). The scent from this is heavenly. I'm sure Royce wouldn't like it - it's a very heavy scent - but I love it :)

The only problem is it has to be staked 'cuz it's so top heavy!!

{{gwi:634431}}

Hope you enjoyed the show ;~)

Tammy

Comments (10)

• highjack
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great hosta pix Tammy. Do you plant hosta seeds? I will trade some Christmas Tree Gala seeds for Dorothy Benedict and Galaxy seeds if you are interested.

Later, after being productive and clipping another dog, I will post some of my hosta. You said you have trouble with the hosta surviving in containers, what are you planting them in, how big a container and what is the medium you use.

Could the Holiday White Streaked be viridescent like an undulata or Guardian Angel or Fallen Angel?

Love the Lakeside hosta - I have several and added more this year. I visited her garden last year and wow, talk about gorgeous. I stopped there on the way to daylily mecca so ended up spending some daylily money on hosta.

Best get back to work so I can play later today.

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

I refuse to become interested in Hostas. The Hosta people seem to be as fanatical as us daylily fanatics. I don't have the energy or money for another one. Even with that disclaimer, the pictures are very nice, although I forced myself to just look at the Hostas very briefly.

The Hydrangea pictures are beautiful. So is the Casa Blanca Lily. Tammy, I briefly had a Casa Blanca Lily. I did a daylily for lilies trade. I really like the lilies. Unfortunately, so do the rabbits around here. They ate all of them. I still have one Tiger Lily out of about 30 to 50 lilies. The rabbits don't bother most things during their growing season, but they decimated the lilies. If they don't bother anything else, I will leave them alone. They munch on daylilies during the fall and winter. For the most part, the daylilies survive and do ok.

Again, nice pictures.

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Tammy. I particularly like Dorothy Benedict and Ice Age Trail. Do you know how big they'll get?

Chris

• flower_lover5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brooke, Seeds were in my plans this year.........but the deer thing - ya know - they like hosta scapes and leaves, too :(

Here's part of the hosta destruction:

Plantaginea - he started munching on these first
    {{gwi:634432}}

Garnet Prince - he reached over quite a few to get this one
    {{gwi:634433}}

Sugar and Cream - must have a real sweet tooth :)
    {{gwi:634434}}

Alex Summers
    {{gwi:634435}}

Aphrodite
    {{gwi:634436}}

Sagae
    {{gwi:634437}}

Lakeside Premier
    {{gwi:634439}}

I don't know if you can tell by the pic of Galaxy way up yonder, but HE only left me one bud, so I have one OP seed pod. I'm convinced he likes the scapes on streaky hostas better than the others (haha). And DB hasn't even shown signs of putting up a scape.
    I'll check into the Holiday White Streaked thing a little more. This year it just looks like some common thing, though.
    For potting, I generally use 2-gallon pots, depending on the size of the plant. For medium, I use half peat-based mix (usually Miracle Grow, etc.) & half WM Perfect Mix which has lots of wood fines mixed in. I found last summer that if I use straight Miracle Grow I lose some to crown rot, so I started mixing.
    Seventh Heaven grew like crazy last year - I originally planted it in a 2-gal. pot, then graduated to a 3-gal. The roots kept growing out the bottom, so I cut the bottom off a 2-gal. and stacked it on top of a 3-gal........and it seemed extremely happy with this deep set-up.
    I tip all the pots on their sides after the tops freeze off.

Royce, I have rabbits around, but they don't seem to bother anything. I think the neighbor's vegetable garden is more inviting to them :) In the spring I see one sitting in my yard every night, but I guess he's just eating grass? He just sits there as far as I can see!!!

Tammy

• flower_lover5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Chris,

Thank you :)

Dorothy Benedict supposedly gets to 14" across X 9" tall - slow grower and VERY expensive, though.

Ice Age Trail gets 36" wide X 16" tall

Tammy

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures - I enjoyed "window shopping." I really like 'Ice Age Trail,' and 'Savannah Supreme.' I'm with Royce, though - I just don't have the $$ or time to spend on yet another plant interest right now. Could I buy just one or two and be content? Well, if peonies, TB historic irises, lilacs, and daylilies are any indication - NO. Not a chance. I think I'd better keep away from the hosta nursery websites. . . .

Laurel

• highjack
    17 years ago

Ouch Tammy - deer are worse than moles/shrews/and whatever except maybe voles - they're the worst because they kill before you know what happened. At least the hosta will come back next year. Is there anyway to deer fence your area or electric fence it? We had to put up a 7' deer fence for the seedlings in the field. Stupid things were lined up with knives, forks and bibs the first year we grew seedlings there.

Here is a pic of a new area we did this year. Last fall I put the whiskey barrels inbetween trees where we could not plant anything because the roots were too close to the surface. This year I added companion plants and hosta to the rest of the area. {{gwi:634441}}

Here are some more of the containers I use - these are hypertufa my husband made for me. {{gwi:634442}}

This picture is two years old but I could plant lots of mini hosta into a very small area. It is my way of cramming lots of plants into a tiny space. {{gwi:634443}}

I will see if I can find some pics of some Lakeside plants. This year I got Fresh Prince, Color Blue, Beach Bum, Love Affaire, Hoola Hoop and Storm Watch from her but don't have pics of them. I seldom photo young plants since it never does them justice.

{{gwi:634444}} Lakeside Kalaidescope

{{gwi:634445}} Lakeside Big Scoop

{{gwi:634446}} This is a breeder plant I bought last year that gave me lots of streaked seedlings this year. I lovingly call her Mortgage Payment.

{{gwi:634447}} Lakeside Surfrider

{{gwi:634448}} Lakeside Black Satin, it might be one of my favorite hosta.

I planted L. Coal Miner and Rhapsody last year but whatever tunneled under the plants last year set them back and I haven't taken their picture either.

If anyone wants some hosta seeds, please say something in the fall to me. I will have a ton of streaked seeds available from my own seedlings and other known parents of streakers and will be happy to share. I cannot plant them all even though I try. I will also have seeds from some solid blues and golds and will share those also. 90% of those will be solid green, but you will get a small percentage of blue or gold from them.

Brooke

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Brooke, I would love to have a small amount of hosta seed - streaked ones, if possible. Thanks! My real estate (read: WINDOW SILLS) is limited for sprouting inside, so I really only need a little bit to play around with. I'll try to remember to ask you in the fall, and get my email to you.

By the way, 'Lakeside Black Satin' looks like a WONDERFUL plant.

Laurel
    (who couldn't resist and had to look up 'Ice Age Trail' and 'Savannah Supreme' on Google. NO, I didn't buy them - yet. . . .)

• highjack
    17 years ago

Computer gremlins are working again - I have no clue what happened to the one picture because it was there. Let me try again {{gwi:634449}}

Laurel I will be happy to send you some. Since your windowsills are limited, why not try to winter sow some hosta seeds? If my Ice Age Trail blooms and sets pods, I will send you some of those. I don't have Savannah Supreme.

LBS is a wonderful plant but I like all of the Lakeside hosta. I have many more but most are either sitting in pots waiting for fall planting or just planted late spring. Small one and two eyed plants just aren't very impressive. I thought I had a picture of Lakeside Shoremaster that lived in a big pot for 2 1/2 years that I planted into the garden this year and it never missed a beat. You get great root systems in pots because of the extra water - I guess I really need to get busy and upload more pics to picture trail.

Brooke

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

This was a wonderful treat! Love all the hosta pics (and others)Tammy and Brooke!

I will have to check out the places you mentioned, Tammy!

Sadly, I am more than ever convinced my Striptease is not Striptease. Add that to some others, and I am getting quite the little "unknown" or whatever patch.

I heard Tony Avent speak on hostas last Wed at Lewis Ginter. He was fantastic! What little hosta knowledge I thought I had went right out the window! He also likes Lakeside Black Satin, by the way, Brooke. It was one of the few lectures I've attended that I actually took notes. I just felt compelled to as the knowledge was flying around so quickly!

I really enjoyed looking at these! A new wish list begins...