Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anettemartinrn

your user name... im curious

anettemartinrn
20 years ago

i have a thread going on the ozarks forum about this subject, thought id ask over here too. what does your username mean or how did you come about choosing it? i'll start, mine is my name and occupation. simple and one i wont forget (hopefully). next???

anette

Comments (78)

• OlyFlowerGal
    20 years ago

Mine is pretty self explanitory, as well:

I live in Olympia (WA), grow TONS of flowers (looks like the flower fairy threw up in my gardens also, FF) and I'm Female: OlyFlowerGal.

Suppose I could be OlyDaylilyGal..........nah.....just doesn't roll off the tongue like OlyFlowerGal.

Oh, yes - I usually sign my postings: Beth in Olympia

• daylily96
    20 years ago

I am not very creative so I chose Daylily. However the 96 comes from the little town where I live.

Ninety Six, South Carolina

PS - My town's name is in it's zipcode - 29666

• daylilydayzed
    20 years ago

Daylily96, my brother-in-law used to live in Ninety Six when he was married. But after his divorce, he moved and now I don't know where he lives. Ninety Six was a very nice place to visit, even if we did hit that deer on the road back to the interstate.

• Romany
    20 years ago

Waaay back in high school, my best friend and I were constantly dreaming up science fiction/fantasy stories (she more so than me). Our stories tended to star us. She usually called me "Tanya" or "Red". She was "Angie". So in one of the stories "Tanya" had a baby by some cute space alien. I got to name the kid. I named her "Romany" because I thought of her as this gypsy type getting to travel all over the universe.

When I needed a screen name for Prodigy I picked Romany (taken) and ended up with Romany777. I've just kept it as a screen name/user name since then.

Gaye

• jord729
    20 years ago

All this is very enlightening.

Lucky you, Daylily96! Ninety Six is in hollering distance of Park Seed, isn't it?
    LISA

• daylilydayzed
    20 years ago

Sure is Lisa, my hubby wouldn't stop that day because we had to get home because vacation was over for him.

• daylily96
    20 years ago

Lisa,
    I am about 20 minutes from Park Seed and I usually visit about every two or three weeks. I love to go during off season because I get some really great bargains on plants. I have about 30 clemetis vines that I got for $1 each. I have also bought a lot of other plants for $1.

They do have some daylilies from time to time and sometimes I get them for $1 but the selection isn't that great. I think I am now spoiled because I don't ever want to pay more than $1 for any plant.

Daylilydazed, I have to dodge deer almost every day in the spring and fall. I actually live about 5 miles below Ninety Six in the country so every trip home is an adventure.

I have lived in Ninety Six almost all of my life and I guess I think that it is my own little piece of Heaven.

• Ed
    20 years ago

Daylilydazed,
    You are correct about my user name meaning ex-Okie in Texas.
    I was just letting tragar know I am a little dubious about how he got his name. ;o)
    xokie

• tragar
    20 years ago

O.K., I'll fess up.

I just didn't think xvisigothnorgn was sufficiently melifluous.

Gotta go, though. Out for some pillaging. Back soon.

• Ed
    20 years ago

Aye!
    Don't forget your patch, matey!

• missbecky
    20 years ago

So whatdja get in Italy?? good lasagna?? Or did you just pillage the local mart for quiche?

Becky

• Ed
    20 years ago

X...................Ex
    visigoth..........Gypsy
    n....................in
    or..................Oregon
    g....................getting
    n....................natural or none
    How close am I? ;o)
    xokie

• jord729
    20 years ago

20 minutes from Park Seed? I'd be volunteering to pull weeds in their trial gardens :) The inlaws are in G'ville so we go thru G'wood and right by Park whenever we go to visit. I got busted for rescheduling family get togethers in G'ville from Sundays to Saturdays recently --- Park isn't open on Sundays!!!!!
    On the other hand, I'm closer than that to Woodlanders, and I've never in there, only ordered for pickup. They don't encourage 'drop-in' visits.
    LISA

• favabeans
    20 years ago

My last name is Fava. And since this is a garden forum, thought it'd be appropriate to use Favabeans as my username. Especially since it almost matches my yahoo e-mail account.

• triple_creek
    20 years ago

My user name is what we named our 50 acre property, which has three small creeks running through it. Always wanted to have woods and creeks to roam, and have been for the last ten years. Have been turning a cedar tree patch into a daylily haven. Love it.

• Sowth Efrikan
    20 years ago

My home country is South Africa and it would be pronounced SowthEfrika by many of my countrypeople.

• Meig
    20 years ago

Mine is the name of a character from a Melanie Rawn book. The full name is Meiglan. I have always loved how it looked and sounds. Mayg-lan :)

• psittacine
    20 years ago

After I got my first computer just a few years ago, I found the GardenWeb almost immediately and eventually wanted to join a conversation on a thread. But, from what I had seen/read at that time, everyone used a name that was not their given name. Being horribly computer ignorant and with no youngsters in-home to tell me the ropes, I actually thought that it was a requirement and, since I didn't have an online name yet, I remained silent.

What name to use?

We had just gotten a new phone/answering system and I had to program in the message. One of my usual recordings, (with my birds loudly proclaiming their expected 2 cents worth in the background whenever 'mama' touches the phone) started with me almost shouting, "It's a jungle in here! Either I can't hear this phone going off
    or ........"

Truth is, it is always a psittacine jungle here. Although I had to officially quit business this year, I raised parrots (psittacines) for 25 years.

Crystal... Still living in the PsittacineJungle

• missbecky
    20 years ago

Thanks Crystal, now I get it! I had no idea that Psittacines was a type of parrot.

Becky

• honeybunny2 Fox
    20 years ago

The day I signed up for my aol account, I thought I would just use the nickname my husband calls me. I tried Honeybunny, but it was already talken so I am Honneybunny 2.

Barbra,

• gardenklutz
    20 years ago

Well, mine is a result of all the other names I wanted were already taken and being as I'm fairly new to gardening I have been known to do a few klutzie things. Seemed simple to me then to become gardenklutz!

• morgnz
    20 years ago

The garden name I had chosen was already in use and I couldn't think of anything else clever, so I chose my other passion, Morgan horses (we have 2).

• Tim_Sullivan
    20 years ago

Dunno,
    I needed a screen name and this just popped into my head.
    Tim

• gonegardening
    20 years ago

I'm pretty new to posting and have enjoyed this thread very much! My user name is from a column/essay by Nancy R. Hugo (writes for the Richmond Times-Dispatch and author of Earth Works). It's a wonderful little piece that, if you love gardening, you'll go "yeah" over and over.

Katie

• Daylilynut
    20 years ago

I think mine pretty much let's the secret out!!!!!!LOL

• redhead
    20 years ago

Geez, I just gotta be more creative!

• stellamae
    20 years ago

Mine is what my husband has called me for years, and on e-bay it is Stellamae14 as we are parents to 14 children. Dorothy

• ubiquity
    20 years ago

mine just came to me outta da clear blue sky one day...i must say that i like it! i use it on every forum i join. so if ya see it out there,..it's probably me! :)

• TRUSTSYL
    20 years ago

I'm a lawyer. I draft trusts. My name is Sylvia. I had to come up with something on the spot for my first email account when the internet came along and trustsyl stuck. I really want to change my name! Talk about boring...

• geordiegirltx
    20 years ago

where I come from in Enland, people are called geordies. iam a girl, and I now live in Texas. :)

• deafblossom
    20 years ago

I am Deaf and loves to growing flowers.. Do not ask me if I can hear some?? Can you read lip?? Can you talk?? HA.. I cannot hear any sounds at all!! I cannot read lip at all.. I cannot speaking perfectly as hearing people. SMILE... I am fluent in American Sign Lanaguage. Kat

• Twilight_08
    20 years ago

Deafblossom....I love you.
    Twilight is the time of day that I MUST be in the garden. Plus I got banned using my other name. Yeah, pull me again!

• raggedyann161420
    20 years ago

I'm a Raggedyann and Andy collector,LOL and, yes my real name is Annie.

Annie

• kathy_ann
    20 years ago

hey that's simple for me, kathy_ann is my name, LOL

hey Annette, did you ever get those lotion bars.

kathy

• PetalsandWings
    20 years ago

My favorite things have petals and wings, so that's where my name comes from.

Petals

• growlove
    20 years ago

After trying all the simple names when I first got my computer like rose, violet, etc., I just decided to go with grow love which is what I love to do, grow with love. Mary

• Diamondcil
    20 years ago

I work around diamonds all day, the husband and I have a small jewelry store, and my name is Cecelia so I combined the two.This is also why I rarely see forums Dec thru Feb and show back up in March!
    Best regards, Cecelia

• Dee1
    19 years ago

My name is Dee, how imaginative is that? I was new to computers, found this website immediately and didn't know you could make up names. Oh well, Dee is okay! I use Dee for all the forums and every other website that has message boards.

• patrob
    19 years ago

first three letters of my first and last names: boring but I do not forget it! In the old days on Gardenweb, I used Patricia R, but when we had to register that had already been taken.

Patricia

• Florafeline
    19 years ago

Well the parrot will never forgive me for not including him in this username but the other 2 loves, flowers and cats made my name.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    19 years ago

My user name is the fanciful name I invented for where we live. It certainly isn't a plantation, and names ending in ---Farm didn't appeal so it's just earth. Years ago, my FIL was an avid foxhunter and there is a place in the woods' edge that I believe to be a foxes 'earth' and there IS the occasional fox sighting. It was also the title for one of Anne Rivers Siddon's novels which has nothing to do with anything and of course there's the Englishman Fox.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: Foxes Earth

• jackarias
    19 years ago

My grandfathers full name is Harold J Black. The J is not an abbreviation but just the letter J. As kids we would tease him about what the J really stood for and my favorite was Jackarias.

Then when trying to log on every thing I could think of was taken. I thought to myself, no one will have taken a ficticious name so I tried it and it worked. Also I don't want to be taken to seriously and Jackarias is not a serious sounding name.

• Auby
    19 years ago

Auby is the nickname of the quarterhorse I had as a teenager, short for Auburn. His registered name was Pate's War Eagle, and well being a Tiger fan it just fit.

• Mainiac
    19 years ago

I'm from Maine and I am a little crazy (about plants)

• stanettetn6
    19 years ago

I'm a grandmother that is called "NaNa". When joining I tried to use this as my username--it was taken. So I decided to use my real name, Stanette. No one has this name. My father's name was Stanley & I was born when he was in Germany in WWII. I think they wanted a boy & I missed the boat. Ha!Ha! Also, maybe I can remember my name. Happy Gardening, StanetteTN6

• jaco42
    19 years ago

nothing special about mine just my name with a 0 because Jack was a no go and my age when I joined

• mntsunshine
    18 years ago

I live just out side of Sun Valley, Idaho. My nickname is also SunShine or George. ( My uncle wanted a boy.)
    Because of how George translates in Spanish, I find I get a better response to Mountain SunShine than Jorge.
    What do you think?

Linda

• blackie57
    18 years ago

My nickname growing up, Blackie (short for Blackwell) and the year I was born. At my age, one fo the few things I can remember anymore...

• happyintexas
    18 years ago

My husband and I lived on a farm near Happy, Texas for the first fifteen years we were married. Folks sometimes call him Mr. Happy. An avid Stargate SG-1 fan, when I joined one of their fan sites, I used Happy as part of my screen name. Now it is a habit to use Happy as part of my online presence.
    Reminds me to BE happy, too. The in Texas part should be easy to get, right?

Happy

• happyjacq_bris
    18 years ago

My name is simply because I feel my life has always been blessed. I have 2 wonderful 14 year old children, a husband who is my best friend and my lover.
    So I am always happy and my name is Jacqueline but I am always called jacq.
    I work as an intensive care RN and one of my patient's mother remarked that it was refreshing to see someone who was always buzzing around happy. So she started calling me happyjacq. Thought it would be a nice user name.