Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Improving one's memory- any tips?

mmqchdygg
17 years ago

I'm still festering over the UFO yellow DL in my VERY SMALL DL patch.

I'm not that old by today's standards...just got to the top of the 'hill' this year, but my memory is LOUSY! I come rightly by it; alzheimer's runs in my family, but I'd prefer not to go that route.

I have purchased only a handful of DLs over the past year, and did a ton of winter sowing. Problem is, even after looking at stuff, I can't ID it! I have a spreadsheet of what I sowed, but just can't seem to remember what they all are even after seeing them in bloom! And back to the DL list, there aren't even 25 named varieties on THAT list!

I used to pride myself on my ability to memorize LONG pages of text (I was a Rainbow Girl way-back-when), but the older I get, the worse it seems to get.

I've reached a point (a while ago) that 'practically,' there is very little reason for cluttering one's mind with a lot of stuff in this world. No real reason to KNOW certain things, or to remember certain facts- it just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I suppose a lot of it would stem from just not CARING about stuff in general (like meeting someone that I know for a FACT that I will likely never see again in my entire life, so what's the point of remembering them, their 3 kid's names, and what they do for work). That type of stuff. It doesn't INVOLVE me, so why do I need to know/remember it?

But...back to the point; I need to make a point of TRYING to remember stuff (I missed 2 appointments last week because I didn't remember them; here's the kicker on one: I had dentist on Tuesday, which I remembered, and they scheduled me for a filling on THURSDAY...2 days later. I FORGOT THE THURSDAY APPOINTMENT! I also forgot the Tuesday-evening hair appointment.)

I need help. Tips? Thoughts? Am I destined to be the youngest person ever admitted to the alzheimer's ward of the nursing home?

Comments (6)

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Maybe it's when you decided you didn't need to "clog your mind" that things started going haywire?
    Just a thought, though - ya' know the old saying - "use it or lose it".
    I personally think it's great mind exercise to remember all that I can. But that's just my opinion :)

Tammy

• laurelin
    17 years ago

How about a little calendar to carry with you, or stick on the dash of your car? Or someplace you'll see it every day? I carry a lot around in my head, but I still need that visual input to carry through with my "to do" list. (Comes from having a visual learning style and memory.) When I was teaching in a school, my desk was sprinkled with post-it notes all the time - if I had to look at it every time I sat down, there was a good chance I'd remember it. (Not to mention the notes in my plan book - sometimes accented with very BRIGHT highlighter or post-its.)

How do YOU learn best? Then use that same avenue to jog your memory.

Laurel

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think there's a lot to be said for the 'want to' factor. I have things that I 'want' to remember- like all my CC numbers (including the 3-digit code on the back), my insurance policy numbers, all of my family's social security numbers...stuff like that. Everything else is a blur.

Maybe I need to start a DL database. Names, heights, bloom size...etc. To the average person, this would probably seem like clutter. Just give me the facts.

I'll be the only one in the nursing home that knows the stats of every registered daylily on the planet, but I won't know what I had for breakfast!

• botanybabe
    17 years ago

Your problem is common. You're at the point where you need to start writing things down. Then don't forget where you put the paper you wrote it on. Laurel is right, it's often best to carry a little notepad with you in your pocket or purse so you can write stuff on it. When you've finished the appointment, or whatever it was you wanted to remember, tear out the page and throw it away. I have to do this. For a long time I'd forget where my notepad was. So now I keep one in my purse, and one on the end table next to my Lazyboy chair. I also need to keep one next to the computer.

If it's not on one of those lists, it doesn't get done. And, get this, I absolutely HATE making lists and doing any organizational efforts. I'm a big concept gal, and hate to trouble myself with details. But I've found, that if I don't do it, sooner or later I end up embarrassing myself and looking like an idiot. So I just have to do it. I've found, it didn't kill me, even though I was sure it would.

Like you, I can remember the latin name of nearly any plant species on the planet, but I keep calling my husband by the dog's name.

Some things we just have to chuckle about, lest we cry.

Lainey

• rsts
    17 years ago

I highly recommend you see a doctor. Alzheimer's is an extremely cruel disease, as you already know if it runs in your family. There is something else called Mild Cognitive Impairment (link below). I am not a doctor and have no medical training, but if you are habitually forgetting appointments, it might very well be early symptoms of serious problems.

Best wishes.

Royce

Here is a link that might be useful: MCI

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

I second Royce's advice and add that there is hope. Aricept is a good treatment. I've seen the benefits in family members who've had early medical intervention.

Also, I buy sticky notes in bulk quantity. Remembering your own appointments is hard enough...but when you have to remember your parents, in-laws, grandparents, son and husband's apointments you need LOTS of sticky notes.
    Kathy

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus