Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsts_gw

Pictures cause I'm bored

rsts
17 years ago

It's 96 degrees as I write this. I am bored, so decided to post these pictures. For those fairly new to hybridizing, it might be of interest (and maybe not). These are pictures of MORT'S MASTERPIECE and SEMINOLE WIND and three seedlings from that cross. I am just showing them to show differences in seedlings from the same cross. I sorta like the first seedling if I could clean a little mud off it (especially on the sepals) and put a little wider edge on it. Only problem is, I don't have a clue how to do it. I have shown it before and am showing again because (1) I'm bored and (2) to show the differences that occur in the same cross. The other two will probably be compost next year.

MORT'S MASTERPIECE and SEMINOLE WIND

{{gwi:634680}}

{{gwi:634681}}

{{gwi:634682}}

{{gwi:634683}}

Comments (18)

• highjack
    17 years ago

Glad you're bored can I can always look at picstures but I sure wish you had kept this 90+ temps down south where they belong.

I sure like the width of the petals and sepals on that seedling.

Almost forgot, S. PICOTEE PRINCE bloomed today and to me, it was purple this a.m. I will check the color again when I go back out to see if it is a red/purple.

Brooke

• numama
    17 years ago

The differences are so amazing! I too like your first seedling best.
    Nancy

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Nancy. I would like to get it whiter, with wider edges the same color with, or without, an eye. I'm not trying for edges without eyes, but that would be acceptable.

Any suggestions? I thought about SUSAN WEBER, which is a dip. Also, thought about LAVENDER CREAM CASCADES, but I think it is a dip also. Picture taken at Christie's around midday and is a little washed out.

LAVENDER CREAM CASCADES
    {{gwi:634685}}

• laurelin
    17 years ago

The first seedling is lovely - very creamy cool in color and graceful in form. I like the tidy little ruffle and the pastel true lavender eye. The second two seedlings don't have the potential of the first, and are rather chunky in form IMHO.

Thank you for sharing! I've been piddling and crossing things just for fun this weekend. One set of crosses I did the day after the flood, kind of as an act of defiance against the depression of cleaning up after the mess. I might have to name one seedling 'Noah' after all this. . . .

Laurel

• numama
    17 years ago

How about Brooke's TET Seal of Approval? Just have her mail you some pollen on dry ice! As far as others....let me think about it. It is tetraploid? What colors would you need to cross with to keep the white?
    Meanwhile, check out this website I found, with Bob Carr's hybridizing tables.
    I haven't had time to figure them out.
    http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/daylilies/32588
    Nancy

• highjack
    17 years ago

OK, now you are confusing me Royce - you want to eliminate the eye and only have an edge? SIBERIAN SUMMER, Carr, will give edges and either no eye or a faint small eye band. Chris Rogers has some gorgeous edged plants, Stamile has EDGE OF SHANGRILA. I'm still using SS this year - I put ARCTIC LACE and have pods on SS. Imagine the whiteness of AL with an edge, no gold.

Laurel hope you set some pods - it has been so hot here I haven't tried for several days. Durn old Royce insists on sharing his beastly temps - some things I would prefer not to share. I wanted some of the rain that you got so your clean up wouldn't have been so bad. It is hard to concentrate at the computer because the water meter keeps going cha ching.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the comments. Laurel, glad you still have your sense of humor and are piddling. Maybe you will get a super nice seedling after all this.

Brooke, as you know I ain't very good at colors or writing. I really appreciate all you highly educated people putting up with me and trying to figger out what I mean. It gets a little lonely sometimes, being the only dummy. Anyway, what I want is a clearer white, with what Laurel called a "pastel true lavender eye". I want to maintain the eye and edge color. I would prefer an eye and edge, but an edge without the eye would be acceptable. The seedling below is one that has gone to the great seedling beyond, but is something like what I want, but with the "pastel true lavender eye". Actually, I would prefer something even whiter than that, but think it converys what I want.

{{gwi:634687}}

• numama
    17 years ago

Okay I THUNK about it. I assume since you want to keep the white you need to use a light cream, buff color?
    Going on that assumption, following are some of the lightest in my garden. Do you suppose any of these cultivars could create what you are looking for?
    Did you have a chance to look at Bob Carr's hybridizing tables with the web address I provided above? Just curious......Nancy
    My suggestions to cross your seedling with based on color only, all are TETs.
    SOMETHING MARVELOUS
    {{gwi:634689}}
    RUTH GORDON
    {{gwi:634691}}
    MAGNIFICENT RAINBOW
    {{gwi:634692}}
    ETCHED FANTASY
    {{gwi:634693}}
    CALYPSO COOL
    {{gwi:634694}}
    PEARL HARBOR
    {{gwi:634697}}

• highjack
    17 years ago

Humpff - I put on airs and Royce does the opposite. Nope not buying that "I can't" gibberish he is throwing about here. He's so smart, he can do those complicated internet links.

You know I can't help you with eyes regardless of the color description, but I sure do enjoy Nancy posting pics of various choices.

Brooke

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brooke, I appreciate the thought anyway. Understandable, 'cause I couldn't help you with the skinny ones.

Nancy, I have Carr's hybridizing tables. Originally did not think they were a great help, because colors are so mixed up. By that, I mean they are not pure. An example, what color is the following daylily?
    {{gwi:634699}}

It has been a while since I looked at the tables, so I will take another look. That should be a good project on a boring day.

Your picture suggestions are interesting. I wonder if ETCHED FANTASY would work. I am also wondering if LAVENDER HEARTTHROB would work. Anyway, it is something interesting to ponder, on an otherwise boring day.

BTW, the above seedling is from ED BROWN X JIM MCKINNEY (a yellow).

Royce

• numama
    17 years ago

Well Brooke, I'm glad you enjoy the suggestions, as I have NO CLUE what I am doing suggesting to those of you who do! LOL!
    Royce, I would call your seedling Melon but you say yellow? It does not look yellow to me! I never thought about the pure color aspect of the tables. I know one thing, I'm in this for the fun of seeing what can be created without delving too deep into what can I use to get this aspect of it. If you want to try Etched Fantasy, you'll have to wait until I have some increase. Lavender Heartthrob is beautiful, try it.
    Nancy

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy, some of you English majors are going to have to try to teach me how to write. Whut I meant to say is - JIM MCKINNEY is yellow. Perhaps the Carr tables do work. Worth looking into anyway.

I'm not sure about the hybridizing thing. I think at first we are happy to get anything remotely decent, then get pickier (is that a word?).

The one thing that is helpful is that our own little darlings are prettier than a similar one from someone else.

Royce

• highjack
    17 years ago

OK, on my monitor the seedling is pink or basically the color of ED. And indeed, pickier is a wonderful word.

I must be doing something wrong because everyone else's seedlings are prettier than mine (and no, don't want sympathy or kudos) but since they are viewed through my eyes, they don't match the other good seedlings. I see faults and things to change on mine.

I dug out a bunch of pretty seedlings today that can't come close to the parent plant. I pick seedlings on width of petals/sepals, decent br/bc for second or third year seedlings and hope for decent color. I won't discard a muddy bloom if it has a couple of other good things about it. I will discard a pretty face if after a couple of years, it only has 6 buds. I don't care if it has great br/bc if the face is mugugly - I have to like the bloom or I won't try to "fix" it.

Here is PEARL HARBOR x ED BROWN taken last year - loved it, believed the they really mature and improve thing {{gwi:632624}} It didn't - I kept four from that cross and they certainly didn't improve, in fact, may have gone backwards. It was still pretty but the cross wasn't as good as either parent, top branching, low bud count.

OK, I'm done - time to switch the water around so my daylilies will bloom next year.

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy, a couple of further comments. If you think I know what I am doing, you are badly mistaken. I'm just bumbling along.

BTW, I was not hinting for a fan of ETCHED FANTASY. I was just wondering how it would work.

Right now, I think I might use my IMPERIAL ELEGANCE X JANE TRIMMER seedling, LAKE EFFECT, LAVENDER HEARTTHROB, TEXAS BLUE EYES and AGELESS BEAUTY. Don't have a clue what I would get with AB, but I am now a little inclined to try some less predictable crosses next year.

Thanks for the comments. They stimulate my thinking.

Royce

• mizellie
    17 years ago

Royce, when you get the beautiful, Gathering Sunshine, ( soon ), you will have an award winning program going. But alas, she ain't got no eye.. She has the other stuff though. The frills, ruffles, etc. I don't have any idea what kind of children she will breed but I know you will find out for us. As for the above pics. ( no comment )...Ellie

• Edward_Kimball
    17 years ago

Here is my garden today. There are even a couple of daylilies blooming. Can you see them?

{{gwi:634701}}

• numama
    17 years ago

Royce,
    Never hurts to have others stimulating the brain every now and then.

Brooke, I hope you have a special spot for your pretty seedlings that don't perform well as they are still pretty! You know....Ellie puts hers in the woods type thing? Since this is my first year making crosses, I'll probably have some pretty looking woods before too long. LOL!

Ellie,
    Can't wait to see what kind of seedlings you come up with here in a couple years!

Very nice Edward! The one that caught my eye first is that purple and white dinnerplate dahlia?
    Nancy

• rsts
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ellie, I am disappointed that you did not comment on the pictures. You have such a fantastic way with words. Lol I still think your comment that one of my seedlings looked like hound dog ears is one of the funniest I have read on GW. I am finding it hard to keep up with seedlings using numbers and might just call that one hound dog ears.

I think I am going to use the "blind hog theory" on hybridizing yellows next year. (Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then). If you send me GS, I think I will have 8 yellow self daylilies in the gh for hybridizing next year. I will have GS, LEDGEWOOD CITATION (from Tammy), LEMON PARCHMENT (purchased from Christie's), HBHMB sdlg from a friend and four of my own seedlings. It's interesting that I just took a stroll through the few daylilies that are still blooming (Yep, it's 100 degrees, but it was a very quick stroll). One yellow seedling was blooming that I would have been elated with two years ago and it won't even get in the greenhouse next year. So, I guess that's progress

Nice garden shot Edward. I look at all the neat gardens all you folks have and just shake my head. Mine looks like the local garbage dump, with daylilies growing out of it.

Nancy, the posts back and forth between all of us do help. I am especially looking forward to using SAVANNAH ROYALTY and was totally unfamiliar with it. Even Christie was not familiar with it.

Royce

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida