Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflychaser

Can You ID This One?

butterflychaser
17 years ago

{{gwi:26107}}

Ha!! You thought it would be a daylily didn't you? Nope, it's my new kitty I got today. And he needs a name. I can't just keep calling him Kitty-Kitty, altho he answers to that pretty well. He follows me all thru the house, unless my big polar bear dog gets in the way. He's still a bit shy around the big beast.

Anyway, as you'll notice, he's a half-breed, half black, half white. I love how his face is divided, like the yen-yang symbol. And I thought of calling him that, but it doesn't fit a cat I think.

I thought of Romeo as he really loves to cuddle and rushes over some luvin anytime he can sneak around Sam.

I thought of calling him Munson, after my favorite daylily hybridizer, but "Here, Munson, Munson, Munson" just doesn't quite roll of the tongue too well.

His tail is about 3/4 the length it should be I think. I believe it was cut off. It also has two places on it where it zig zags sharply--very noticeable. He doesn't act afraid of people, took to me right off, but I first suspected abuse when I noticed his tail. I did think of calling him Zig Zag or Lightning due to the deformity. But I don't know. None of it sounds appropriate.

Anyone wanna name my new kitty? I named my samoyed canine Sam for Sam Elliott, one of my favorite actors, if that tells you how warped I am. LOL

NancyAnn

Comments (14)

• butterflychaser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to say that his legs and belly are all white and his head, back and tail are all black. Beautiful critter.

• katlynn719
    17 years ago

Hi NancyAnn, He's a beauty! Felix was a black and white cat in cartoons. And remember Sylvester always chasing Tweety Bird? Or if you want to go with a daylily name, how about Licorice Candy? Enjoy him-
    Kathy

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Hey NancyAnn,

You can name him Romeo, and I'll name this little gal Juliet. She's not quite old enough for a boyfriend, though, as she's only 3 mos. old. Quite a resemblance, though, eh?
    She's still just called Baby as are 3 of her siblings.
    I do wish she'd learn to clean that nose :~)

{{gwi:635008}}

Tammy

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Must be the week for cats - we just adopted a black and white kitten yesterday for our daughter. Molly is black, with white stockings on her back legs, white toes on the front, a white blaze and cheek/chin mask, white bib, white belly. She's a petite little love. "Molly" was her name at the shelter, and our daughter decided to keep it that way. Molly is only about 3 months old, too.

Your big cat looks really sweet. How about Fred, for Fred Astaire (who always looked dashing in a tux)? I don't know, a name related to a classic leading man could be fun. Cary? (Grant, although I like Cary Elwes too! Perhaps Westley, the hero from "The Princess Bride"?) Gary? (Cooper) Gene? (Kelly - another elegant man in a tux) You could have fun with the leading man theme. I kind of like Westley, and Gene. . . .

Laurel

• butterflychaser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathy, I like Licorice! I'll add that to the list of possibilities.

Tammy, you've got MY cat!!! OMG, they're twins!

Laurel, I think you're onto something!! My favorite leading man is Clark Gable. I love Gone With the Wind ONLY because he's in it. I just love how manly he is. So maybe I should name my little guy Gable or Rhett. My dog is Sam Elliott. Why not a Clark Gable or Rhett Butler in the house too?

Other possibilities are:

Panda
    Zeus (God of Thunder because of his lightning tail)
    Tux for tuxedo
    Flash (again the lightning thing)

But now you've got me leaning heavily towards Rhett. He is a handsome devil (both man and beast).

Any other ideas? Thanks for all the suggestions. I imagine by nightfall, Kitty Doe will have a name.

NancyAnn

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

I'm liking Romeo and Clark/Rhett. What a cutie!

Here's one of my two black and white girls:

{{gwi:635012}}

Gotta love her for that belly alone! Her name is Squid. Husband wanted to name her and her brother Chaka Khan and Genghis Khan, but it's VERY hard to call a kitty, "Here Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan . . . "

Nice addition, NancyAnn!

Chris

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Forgot to tell you that when I first saw the photo, it reminded me of a character on the original Star Trek TV series. Frank Gorshin played this good/evil alien who was black and white like your kitty. Don't remember the character's name, though. Plus I'm telling my age. Why did I post this, anyway?

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Hey, guess what? I got a digital camera for my birthday! WHOOHOOO!! So here's a picture of our new kitten, Molly (daylily photos to follow in short order, I'm sure!):

{{gwi:635015}}

Laurel

• mizellie
    17 years ago

I seem to remember a cartoon cat named Top Cat. That was his name and I am surly dating myself. Course you all know how old I am anyway. BTW, the nickname for Top Cat was TC.

My cat is also black and white. His name is Kudzoo.. he had that name when I got him but most times I still call him kitty cat..

nancyann, he is a pretty kitty as is yours tammy. They look very much alike.

Chris, your kitty looks like a laid back kitty..no pun intended .

Laurel, your kitty looks like he is planning his next move.....Ellie
    Seems that black and white is the order of the day for cats.

• mollyd
    17 years ago

How about Ziggy for that tail of his?

MollyD

• butterflychaser
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Molly, I thought of Ziggy, but it reminds me too much of Squiggy on Laverne & Shirley. (Who remembers that show??)

Kudzoo--that's just funny!! Did he wind his way into your heart like Kudzoo has wound around everything in the Heartland?

Beautiful cats, y'all. I see we have the same taste in animals as we do plants. LOL

I have decided to call him Rhett Butler. He's roguishly handsome like Rhett. He'll have all the ladies swooning, I have no doubt.

Thanks for the help with names. I never would have come up with Rhett had Laurel not mentioned the tux.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Butterflychaser,

Glad to help! I like Rhett, and your cat looks like a real sweetheart, almost smiling in his picture. Why not be different? I don't think pets should have totally blase names anyhow. (Good thing for my daughter's kitten, I suppose!) Our other two cats are B.C. (Bad Cat), and Sophia. (When we were trying to think of name for Sophia when we got her, my husband wanted to continue the BC "comic" theme, and suggested that we call her "Fat Broad." I told him if he thought I would stand up in the vet's office when they called for "Fat Broad" to come in for her appointment, he had another think coming!!)

Laurel

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

LOL, Laurel. I just might have to add "Fat Broad" to my possible names list for future cats. Thanks to your hubby.

• numama
    17 years ago

I LOVE CATS! Y'alls pics are wonderful!
    Chris, yours would have been fitting for a name like TUX....short for Tuxedo cuz it look like he's wearing a tux.
    NancyAnn and Tammy, your kitties made me think of that rock group KISS (never was crazy about that group) but I like the name KISS
    Nancy