{{gwi:635033}}

{{gwi:635035}}

{{gwi:635036}}

{{gwi:635039}}

{{gwi:635041}}

{{gwi:635042}}

{{gwi:635043}}

{{gwi:635044}}

This one was just labeled "Purple Tet"...I don't maybe...maybe they use it for landscaping or something?

{{gwi:635046}}

That's all for now...

Comments (7)

• numama
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Awesome show Katie! Where is this place located?
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures!
    Nancy

• highjack
    17 years ago

Great tour - thanks for the pics of the entire garden. The shade garden looked so inviting - made you want to sit and stay.

Sorry you had a bad experience at the other open gardens but an open garden is supposed to be just that - not just for people attending an AHS meeting in the area. Most of the people I know bend over backwards to make a visitor welcome whether they know them or not. You are more than welcome to visit me if you ever get to this area.

Brooke

• rsts
    17 years ago

Very nice pictures. Although the garden still has lots of areas that could be converted to daylilies it looks like a nice place to visit.

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

What a treat for the eyes! Glad you had the opportunity to get such awesome photos to share.
    Jan

• gonegardening
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks!

Nancy: Andre Viette is in Fishersville, VA (out there). He is sorta a regional gardening guru of sorts. His father hybridized peonies (and maybe other things) and he does daylilies and now his son, Mark, is also in the family business. He has a Sat. call in gardening radio show which is done right there in the garden. The home you kinda see (it is beautiful) is Andre's home...he truly works from home. The Viettes' perennials are carried in some (upscale, I'd say) local nursuries. The daylilies are not like the fancy ones from the "name" hybridizers, but they are performers, dependable, and not pampered...and beautiful,too. I gathered from Andre's talk that he had attended the AHS convention in New York (where his family is originally from) this year and maybe even had some daylilies in the hybridizers' bed (so, maybe I better be careful what I say...maybe he does have some fancy ones I'm unaware of!). At any rate, it is a wonderful nursery to visit. I couldn't resist (nice discounts, too) and bought a coneflower to replace one that didn't make it last year (Sundown) and a hosta, Orange Marmalade. Andre's talk included a little demonstration of how to make a daylily cross...and then he joked that he had infected us with daylily-itis. He really was delightful. (And, now I've told you more than you ever wanted to know...lol! p.s. They do have a website.)

Brooke, you're too kind. Perhaps some day I will take you up on it, lol! I don't want to say too much as it was a really hot day and the owners are extremely well thought of in daylily circles, but it was just strange and disappointing. I suspect that on another day, I might have had an entirely different experience. Unfortunately, it was a lucky Sunday off for me and given the distance, not a trip I'd likely make a again. The garden is even more out there than Andre's (the roads are better to the Viettes', lol!). Being me, I can't help noticing that it was equally hot at the Viettes' garden...and the experience was not at all disappointing.

Royce, the Viettes' garden is huge. My few pictures do not do it justice. There is property across the road from them and well beyond the house (even with my camera's zoom, it was far) with rows of daylilies. I suspect these are grown for landscaping purposes, although I don't know that. I would guess they do a good business providing really nice daylilies (non stellas) to landscapers and other nurseries. I have seen their perennials and daylilies at Merrifield Garden Center which is a really nice nursery (actually two locations) in No. VA and caters to those with $$$. (I digress a moment to tell you an amusing story...it made the news here, of course, but gives you an idea of the people who shop at Merrifield...a US Senator's wife got into a scuffle in the parking lot at the Fairfax location of MGC over mulch!! I think the police were actually called and she might have had to pay a fine or some such.) Actually, he did have a daylily list available and his collection is much larger than I would have guessed. But, you're right, there was still plenty of room grow as many daylilies as anyone could want.

Thanks, Jan. Tomorrow, after my little volunteer gardening bit, a group of us are headed to a local daylily farm. I've patronized this garden for several years. Not cutting edge daylilies, but very nice ones, very reasonably priced. I'll try to remember my camera as theirs should be at peak. The couple that own it have always been wonderful and I look forward to seeing them and their daylilies. And, even though I have a bunch from them, the odds are I'll find a few more to bring home! Isn't that always the way!

• numama
    17 years ago

Katie, thanks for taking the time to let me know. Lots of other information here I've enjoyed reading. You are so lucky to get to go to these places. I know pictures just can't replace being there!
    Nancy

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I thought the name Viette was familiar! I've run across his name while browsing peony catalogs - another plant love of mine. The Viette gardens are lovely. Thank you for sharing!

Laurel

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida