Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizellie_gw

Weekend !!

mizellie
17 years ago

We had a wonderful 3 days in Gatlinburg. My youngest rented a chalet and called everyone and demanded our presence. She lives in N. Ky, just N of Brooke. In laws and out laws were there. Some anyway. They place was huge with 2 hot tubs , a game room, great room, large kitchen. The Kitchen had every kind of pot and dish that you could possibly need. BUT the highlight of the week-end was the bears. We were in the game room and looked out the window, there were 3 bears in the yard. Mama and 2 cubs. We all grabbed the cameras, opened the door and began our pics. The bears walked around all of the cars, then turned to us. They came all of the way to the steps and stopped. The cubs meandered into the woods and after about 5 mins. the mama followed. They were never spooked or threatened so they were within 5 or 6 ft of us. Course we had a rail between us in case we needed to leave in a hurry. It was so cool to be that close. The cubs were so cute you just wanted to play with them and the young folks that were there were tickled pink to see bears that weren't in captivity. I have seen them lots of times there though. My brother in law followed them one year just to take pictures. He's nuts. Anyway I am back now and had a great time with one of my children and some grands and others...Ellie

Comments (14)

• shellyga
    17 years ago

Ohh Ellie.. sounds like you had a fantastic time.. I remember stopping in the car when I was a child -- lived in Alaska.. to get pictures of a moose.. love seeing wildlife in their natural settings. I envy your relaxing weekend..I was cutting grass.. Glad you are home safely and we look forward to some bear pictures.
    Shelly

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

Bears! I read in the paper, I think, about a lady in Maryland (where the bears are increasing, apparently) who came out and found Moma and babies sitting on her deck furniture! Unfortunately, the bears there are taking to going inside homes.

So, I'm pleased for you that yours were friendly and cooperative and posed for pictures! The way bears should be!

Glad you had a wonderful time and shared it with us. Sounds like you have such a nice family and made some wonderful memories!

• highjack
    17 years ago

What a great week-end and look forward to seeing your pictures.

The bear population is increasing around here too. Right now, I'm not sure I really want it to do that. There have been bear sightings in two of the surrounding counties - hopefully the KY River will be a deterent and keep them south of me. With raccoons, deer, skunks and shrews, my life is full of natures pe(s)ts.

Brooke

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Gosh Ellie, sounds like ya'll had a ball. Wish I could be in the mountains right now. I love the mountains, of course my 13 daughter always prefers the beach. Go figure!! If everything goes as planned, my DH will be near Raleigh, NC on his next job, so maybe a mountain trip will be in my near future too. :)
    Have you had any more rain up your way lately? Nothing here except a 5 minute shower today. I'm praying that we get much more than that this afternoon and tonight. 60% chance of it anyway. LOL
    Hurry up with those "bear" pix!!!
    Jan

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Ellie, sounds like you had a great time reuniting with your family. I always love family get-togethers...especially when I'm not hosting them (lol). Last year my husband and I took our teenaged kids up to Old Quebec for a week vacation. On the way up we came across three moose. Cars were stopped along the side of the road, people out taking pictures. Never having seen one up close I couldn't believe how big they were...huge antlers! I'm so glad you had a good time with your family and also would like to see those bear pics!!!

Jan, we finally got a couple days worth of much needed rain...we haven't had a steady rain in about eight weeks. just about lost my lawn. I was worried about taxing my well but managed to keep DL's and new shrubs sufficiently watered.
    Marilyn

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Well, Marilyn, we got another quick downpour last night, but still not nearly enough to do much good. Haven't checked my guage yet this am. :) We still have a 60% chance in the forecast today, so keep your fingers crossed. Thought Ernesto might swing over our way and give us some much needed rain, but doesn't look as though he will. All of you guys in his path, keep safe now.
    Jan

• numama
    17 years ago

Wow Ellie....you are on the move this year eh? SOUNDS SUPER FUN! I am planning a spring rendevous with shelly come spring time for a trade and trip to Florida! I WANT TO SEE YOUR BEAR PICTURES TOO!
    Nancy

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone! I have been sooo busy. I am transplanting, building beds , etc. Since we FINALLY got some rain..

Here is a picture of mama bear and one of her cubs in the parking lot at the Chalet. I have to tell you, at this time she was about 15 feet from us but got much closer. 5 to 7 feet from us..Wow!! we thought she was going to come up the steps. ( we were all there taking pics.)
    Ellie

{{gwi:635117}}

• numama
    17 years ago

AWE they are so cute! I'd be way too skeered to be that close! Especially a mama and her cub. It would be my luck to fall as I turned to run! LOL!
    Thanks for sharing Ellie!
    Nancy

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Nancy, she came to us. We weren't following her. All we were doing was taking pics on the steps. But there was a rail between us and we were ready to jump inside if she ever stood up. The black bears don't bother you unless you bother the babies then she gets dangerous. The other one was behind one of the cars.. I'm glad you liked them....Ellie

• rsts
    17 years ago

Nice picture Ellie. Your story reminds me of the following joke I ripped off another GW forum. I think it was the part about being so close that did it.

An atheist was taking a walk through the woods. "What majestic
    trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to
    himself. As he continued walking alongside the river he heard a
    rustling in the bushes.

Turning to look, he saw a 7 foot grizzly charging towards him. He
    ran as fast as he could up the path. Looking over his shoulder he
    saw that the bear was closing in on him. His heart was pumping
    frantically and he tried to run even faster. He tripped and fell
    on the ground. He rolled over to pick himself up but saw the bear
    raising his paw to take a swipe at him. At that instant the atheist cried out: "Oh my
    God!..." Time stopped. The bear froze. The forest was silent. It
    was then that bright light shone upon the man and a voice came
    out of the sky saying: "You deny my existence for all of these
    years, teach others I don't exist and even credit creation to a cosmic accident. Do
    you expect me to help you out of this predicament? Am I to count you as a believer?"
    The atheist looked directly into the light, "It would
    be hypocritical of me to suddenly ask you to treat me as a
    Christian now, but perhaps, could you make the BEAR a Christian?"
    "Very well," said the voice. The light went out. And the sounds
    of the forest resumed. And then the bear lowered his paw, bowed
    his head and spoke, "Lord, bless this food which I am about to
    receive and for which I am truly thankful."

• highjack
    17 years ago

Ohmygawd Royce, that is toooooo funny!

Brooke

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Well worth "ripping off," Royce -- thanks for the laugh.

• mizellie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mud, I also ripped it from you...LOL...Ellie