Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riverratspaz

Hey Peeps whats up?

riverratspaz
17 years ago

Gerard here, yeah i disappeared for a bit, been busy as all get out around here, and not time for anything else. I even have pods at home opening and dumpaing all the goodies out..... ugh.

Well bloom season is over and done with down here, everything is ugly and nasty here now, except for the ugliets ones i have that rebloom constanly? YUCK dont you just hate that? I have already packed about 300 or so seed packs/pods. Ive been averaging less per pod this year, to date about 22 per pod. I guess the heat has a bit to do with that? And i dont water at all... hehehee

I see you guys are right in the middle of posting pics and getting bloom, lucky _____S kidding, i guess you have to wait for them, or enjoy them early? either way at least we all get to see some.

Well be checking in from time to time, when i can.

Starting grad school soon hopefully!!! Pray i find the funds somewhere people. I'm in for it, but i know ill be the better for it come graduation!!!

Later peeps

Gerard

Comments (16)

• laurelin
    17 years ago

LOL, I've never been called a Peep before, Gerard! Have fun with all those pods/seeds/possibilities. I've got to check my plants tomorrow (after the daytime temp DROPS 20 degrees!), since my first pods ought to be about ready. I can hardly wait to plant them.

May I ask, what are you going to grad school for? I'm not so far away from that that I can't remember wondering how I was going to pay for it. (I paid for several classes, then got an assistantship that paid for the rest, thank God - or I'd STILL be paying for it.)

Laurel

• riverratspaz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

UGH yeah about the seeds, i may have to give some away again this year. Most were crossed with Pink stripes, but i dont know where ill find the time. That and going to school again, my garden will go to pooh im sure as my parents have black thumbs? Dont ask me where i get it from?

Going back for graphic design, i keep getting turned down for jobs because im overqualified, even friends who have gotten those jobs told me their bosses said i was so i know ill never find anything around here, but if i move i KNOW i will be underqualified and hard pressed to find a job? So i have to go back.

Savannah College of Art and Design here i come!!! LOL
    G

• flower_lover5
    17 years ago

Gerard,

We've missed you!!!
    Good luck with grad school (in case you don't come back here for months & months again...........oh yeah, it's only been a month this time :)

Tammy

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Gerard, many blessings on your trip back to grad school! Job markets are so funny. Overqualified in one area of the country, underqualified in another, it's hard to cover your bases and know when grad school is a good investment. If you worked in a field that required state certification, you'd REALLY have to jump through hoops when you moved. (I'm a teacher, special ed, not employed while I raise and home school our kids - NY is the PITS for regulations and bureaucratic hoops to jump through, and they keep changing the hoops!) I hope you can find a great job in a part of the country where you can have land and daylilies (among other amenities LOL).

I hope your garden survives your parents' TLC. (At least you know enough people with daylilies who could help you restock your garden eventually!)

Laurel

• highjack
    17 years ago

Good to hear from you Gerard and congrats on the decision regarding grad school. Wow, Savannah, love that area. At least the scenery will be wonderful. Do check in on your "peeps" from time to time and let us know how you are doing hitting the books again.

Brooke

• maximus7116
    17 years ago

Good to hear from you again, Gerard. And good news about Savannah -- what a great area! Have you checked to see if there are any hybridizers in the area who might want your assistance?

Let me know if you need someone to babysit Pink Stripes for you while your're gone!

Chris (Michigan Peep)

• numama
    17 years ago

Hey Gerard....there you are! Good for you to better yourself! Where in the world are you applying for jobs? Ad Agencies? Printing Companies?
    I want to know what you crossed Pink Stripes with. I collected a pod yesterday of mizellie's seedling DASH IT x Pink Stripes, had 14 seeds in it. I've collected a few more from Pink Stripes as well but can't think of all of them, one is Promoted to Glory x Pink Stripes. Did Mike D send you any of his PS seedlings? Not too long ago he emailed me asking if I'd rather have seed or seedlings, I chose seedlings and they are really growing good. Well glad to see you back.
    Nancy

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

Well, there you are Gerard...thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth or something!!! LOL
    I'm sure your garden will be waiting when you have the time once again for it. Maybe with a few more weeds, etc, but you'll get back to it, I'm sure.
    I was supposed to make a trip to Savannah this summer with my sister, but she lost her husband, so of course, our trip got cancelled. If you have the time, you might look up the Joiner gardens. You know they are over there.
    Good luck with your school and your career. Pop in here now and then to just say "Hi" and let us know you still exist!!! :)
    Jan

• rsts
    17 years ago

Hey G. Good to hear from you. I thought you had gotten married and were either on a long honeymoon, or you just gave up gardening for marital bliss.

Congratulations on the grad school decision. It is my understanding that SCAD is outstanding in that field and graduates even land jobs with Pixar, etc. Seems I have read costs are high, but there is a fair amount of aid available.

BTW, you will now be a little over 100 miles from me. Joiner's Daylily Gardens is located in Savannah.

Best wishes.

• riverratspaz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now you all know i would never forget about any of you!!! Love all you guys. And yes of course the second thing i did after weeding through all the schools to select the best, i then did a search on DL farms and clubs in the area LOL HAHAHHHAHHHHHAAAA....... we are so terrible!!!

And i have prepared a few pots already, to ready them for the trip with me, and SCAD also has a garden area and greenhouses....... hhmmmmmmmm maybe someone will do a jhonny appleseed with all his pink stripes seed!!! You know ill try to sneak one in there somewhere!! Yeah ITS SUPER EXPENSIVE OMG...... but i have always managed, trust me i know poor, and i know how to deal with it. Im a mule so nothing bothers me.

I bought two really nice pots, PS is in one, and my favorite seedling is in the other, ill always have daylillies in tow, and theres now way id leave those two at home for the parentals to kill off!!! UGH i dont know whatell happen to the garden? it worries me....... I havent been home much lately and it looks like crap.

Talk soon again i promise
    Gerard

• highjack
    17 years ago

Your daylilies will survive even if ignored. My garden looks like crap too and I thought I had a green thumb!

Study hard but take time to smell the daylilies too. Hurry back.

Brooke

• gonegardening
    17 years ago

We missed you! Glad you checked back in with us! Congrats on grad school...that is so great! Hey, you're going to a terrific school in a wonderful location...life is good!

So funny you're taking Pink Stripes...but then, I can't talk...don't even ask what I've hauled back and forth across the country! Lol!

Have fun, Gerard...and do keep us up to date.

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Hello Gerard, I hope I didn't miss you before heading back to school. I've been on vacation with the family and am getting caught up taking pics and downloading all my DL's. Your name came up quite a few times over the past months, probably concerning Pink Stripes...I wondered if you might have left us. Congratulations on your decision to go onto Grad school. Take care and check in over school breaks.
    Marilyn

• riverratspaz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

well if anybody has any questions about Pink Stripes, that i can answer just let me know, i can tell you about performance and all that good stuff, and pollen fertility and so on. Also the plant has literally trippled in size and the # of fans, its doing great!!!

G

• numama
    17 years ago

Hey G,
    I know what you mean about mutiplying! I have been amazed by it! I set two pods on the plant itself and several pods on others. The pods I have collected that were pollenated with PS have been yielding lots of seed too, course I think dips produce more seed than tets. Did you get seedlings when you received PS? He sent me 10 seedlings of Pink Stripes x Eggplant Escapade and they have grown lots this season, maybe I will get to see them bloom next season! Later in the season Mike sent me five more seedling of another cross with Pink Stripes and they are growing well too!
    Nancy

• riverratspaz
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hey nancy, yes mike did send me some seedlings, one was also of eggplant escapade, ill have to look for the other tag to see what it is, he must have had a surplus of that cross to get rid of. But they are both doing quite well, and i was also happy to see any cross i madw with pink stripes pollen yeilded many many seeds, but i already had that problem with my dips, they make way to much seed. I get very overwhealmed with seed this time of year. I wish mine produced less seed, i dont ever know what to do with it all. Probably gonna give some away this year too.

Talk later
    G