Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelin_gw

Cool front came through - finally, time for piddling!

laurelin
17 years ago

I'm loving this "cooler" weather (read: 80 and not very humid, nice breeze)! I spent quite a bit of time weeding up at our church this morning while the kids rode their bikes, and it didn't even feel like work because of the nice breeze in the shade. Later today I intend to do the same "piddle while I work" routine in my own yard. I commented to someone today that weeding at the church while my own garden looked scruffy was like the shoemaker's children not having good shoes. I need to remedy that (and check for ripe daylily pods while I'm at it ;-).

I've gotten some nice seed from the Lily Auction already, and I have pods all over the place in my yard (and up at church, too, where I couldn't resist tossing pollen around for fun). I bought some clearance window boxes to use for sowing indoors. I'm going to borrow Donn's plant band idea (from the Winter Sowing forum) and put those in the window boxes. The bands can hold each other up, and the boxes will make watering easy, and the roots of the daylilies shouldn't get too intertwined by spring. (That's the theory at least!)

I won my first seedling on the Lily Auction yesterday. Hooray! It's a UF, a cross of 'Willie Belle' x 'Mad Max.' I don't know why, but I just LIKE it - wide open star form, dark pink with a purplish-maroon chevron eye and some veining, lime green throat. Anyhow, I'm excited, can't you tell? The parents are both dormants, so I've got a good chance of it also being dormant and liking it in my zone. And it's different from anything else I have.

So, what's going on with everyone else? Take a break from piddling and chat a while. . . .

Laurel

Comments (8)

• highjack
    17 years ago

Laurel, sweetie, I keep explaining to you but you are not getting it - pulling weeds is not piddlin', you are working.

How nice for your change of weather and coolness in which to weed. Our cool front came through last night - high of 83 today with the humidity at 80%. How can it be this humid and I don't get any rain except for a 10 minute spit this a.m.

I've been moving some perennials, shovel pruning some and cleaning up a perennial bed in front of our deck. I guess they were correct with their planting recommendations. I need to pay more attention to their recommendations and quit planting things so darn close. It sure would make it easier.

Has your seedling from the LA bloomed already so you know what it looks like? Remember, the LA is addicting! It is sooo easy to keep hitting that bid button. After all, what's one more.

It sounds like you have a great plan for your winter gardening activity. Will you sow these inside or do the winter sowing thing with them. I hope you can grow the seedlings inside so you can have green, growing things - it sure helps pass the nasty months to see green.

Enough rambling from me - I have to go hand water and after that, I might just piddle.

Brooke

• tweetypye
    17 years ago

I'm sure glad someone is getting in some garden time!! Man, it's still sizzling down our way. 102 for a broken record today! A few thunderstorms broke out this afternoon with all the heat and we got a small shower. It's cooled things off a little, but it'll be right back up there by tomorrow. No cool front coming our way, unfortunately. Not much rain either. I've got a few more pods to pick as soon as they ripen and that'll do it for me this year. I've got about 1000 planted already and lots of them are up. I sure need to be "piddleing" in my garden, but just can't find the energy past about 9am. This heat and humidity just does me in.
    I'm trying to stay away from the LA myself. I've won a few in the past few weeks, but haven't been hanging around there much lately. Trying to have some will power!! LOL
    Ya'll have fun in your gardens while it's cooler. :)
    Jan

• laurelin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops! Caught working again - when will I ever learn? But it FELT like piddling, because I enjoyed it so much. I just spent an hour giving TLC to my own front yard, and it was SO nice. My wonderful husband put our daughter to bed so I could get some time outside.

I was going by the bloom picture on the LA, so yes, it's bloomed - for the seller. I hope the seedling lives up to its picture! But isn't that the case with every daylily we order? I got one daylily, a nice bonus from Marietta, called 'Totally Southern.' In their part of the country, it's pink. In my neck of the woods, it's peach. NOT their fault - just different soil, I guess. Ditto with 'Mateus' - dark rose in pictures, more brick colored in my yard. So, they need to go to the BACK yard, with the peachy/warm colors. If this seedling goes peach on me, c'est la vie! But I'm hoping it stays true. (I've gotten other pinks that stayed true pink in my yard, so I'm hopeful.)

Laurel (still trying to learn how to piddle properly. . . .)

• rsts
    17 years ago

Laurel, I was fairly certain what you were doing was not piddling, but waited for the Queen of Piddling to say for sure. Lol I do not like to pull weeds, but for temps in the 80s and a breeze it might even feel like piddling to me.

I am having about the same type weather as Jan. Went shopping for a few things today. Went through the garden section of Lowe's to get non plant (honest) supplies. It was totally miserable. I could hardly wait to get out of there. Did wake up at the crack of dawn this morning and sprayed some Roundup. The temp was nice around 7:00, but who wants to get up at 7:00 just to have nice weather. Did some mowing yesterday. It is so dry and grass so tough that the mower was just "gnawing" instead of cutting, so I quit. I needed an excuse anyway.

Jan, your efforts in planting seeds put me to shame. Several weeks ago, I planted around 250 seeds directly in the garden (no shade) and I think about a dozen plants are growing. The hot weather seemed to have stopped germination. Lesson learned. I have planted a few in pots and they are doing fine.

Laurel, hope your seedling and seeds do well. You might want to start very subtly dropping hints that you need a house with a larger yard.

Royce

• laurelin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL Royce! I'm not subtle at all about the (much) larger yard being a prerequisite when we go house hunting. I'm more concerned with the LOT than the HOUSE! Am I warped, or what? I figure I can DIY almost any house into acceptable shape, but the lot has to have certain attributes before I'll consider it.

Maybe if I try to piddle in the yard with a large iced coffee in one hand I'll be closer to the realm of True Piddling. . . .

I harvested my first full pod of seeds today! Hooray! A cross of 'Border Crossing' x 'Gentle Shepherd,' we'll see what I get out of it. For being a wimpy plant, GS is a surprisingly good pod parent.

Laurel

• daylilylady
    17 years ago

Laurel, I received Totally Southern as a bonus gift from Marietta's but unfortunately it didn't make it. It was treated no differently than all the other many, many bareroot DL's in my order but who knows...it's strange the way some make it and some don't. I'd appreciate your letting me know. Since it was a bonus, I'm not going to contact Marietta's.
    Thanks, Marilyn

• laurelin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marilyn,

I think my 'Totally Southern' has a good chance of making it through our winter. It's not a HUGE new plant, but it's putting up rebloom scapes now, after blooming soon after I planted it in May, so it's got some stamina. Would you like to arrange a trade? It's a pretty enough flower (really nice form), it's just not what will "work" color-wise in my front yard. I don't like it well enough to carve out more space in the back yard (which is limited in space as it is). Just let me know on this thread, and I'll get my email address to you if you're interested.

Laurel

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

I probably won't get to the piddlin' stage until sometime after Thanksgiving.

Starting to line out some plants but it's been so ungodly hot that I don't want to divide the more expensive, less abundant ones right now. My son and I were popping clumps out of the ground the size of half bushel baskets on Sunday to divide. Finally we went and got my husbands sawzall with a long blade and started cutting. If you're not worried about your plant and you've got something that big it surely cuts down the strain of dividing that rascal. I wouldn't want to post this method on the AHS website on how to divide daylilies but since all of us here know how tough they are I'll admit to the hacksaw attack.

We finally got a plumber into our house to start the plumbing. It took him five days to get the rough in plumbing done. One day for each year I had to wait to finally get one that we could live with and would actually show up. Now it's the electrician's turn to come back and finish his stuff. Then the drywall. I think we're actually going to start seeing some progress. I'm getting revved up for some real action to start. I guess there's actually a chance that I could be living in this house by next bloom season. I suspect this fall and winter will consist of redoing the woodwork, doors and staircase in the house. If anyone has any pointers on the easiest way to and what materials to use step forward and be recognized!

Janet

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!